Controlling multiple GE dimmers with one light?

Question:
How do you group multiple dimming (light) devices together to be controlled by a single switch?

Situation:

Our living room has a large bookcase with a GE 45606 dimming switch controlling the middle light in the ceiling and 2 GE 45602 dimmer modules (one left, one right) controlling the recessed lighting in the bookcase. I’ve grouped them together in a scene where they all turn on or off depending on the state of the wall switch which works great but I would like more control when it comes to setting the brightness of the lights.

Is there a way to tie these 3 lights together as one through Vera?

I’m probably missing something in your question. Why wouldn’t you just use a scene controller? I believe there are some that can also control a local load if you need to make room by replacing one of your switches. You could also use a battery-powered scene controller.

You can’t tie them together directly, but as kkl stated, you could use a scene or zone controller.

However, scene/zone controllers from Leviton that control a local load are relay switches, meaning they just do on/off for the local load, not dimming.

You are probably best off using a VRCZ4-M0, and adding/expanding the gang box where the switch is now. You could the use one zone to control the three devices, and add the association via Vera to allow dimming. You could then use the other three zone buttons for other purposes.

I need to reverify, but it you set up do the associations in vera for the buttons and do NOT assign scenes to the buttons, I think that can do on/off for our GE devices. If that’s not the case, a Leviton programmer can do it for you. You can als just use Vera scenes, but the delay/non-simultaneous action might annoy you.

On that same note, does anyone know it Vera does “multicast” commands? Supposedly zwave allows multiple devices to be addressed in a command, but I’m not sure vera does this. Vera does do the first message with no ACK to speed things up, but I think that’s different.

An Evolve LTM-5 may also do the trick. I can verify that with a few GE modules, if you’re interested.

I would be… Didn’t know such a thing existed…

The LTM-5 doesn’t control a local load according to its specs ([url=http://www.homeseer.com/pdfs/Evolve/LTM-5_SPEC.pdf]Support Home Page | HomeSeer), but the original poster hasn’t indicated if that’s an issue or not. Not sure why it has a yellow wire. The Intermatic CA5100 has similar specs and is cheaper, but I haven’t figured out how to get mine to dim yet.

If you don’t want to use a handheld remote, the HA07 battery powered remote can be mounted on the wall (has screw holes for hanging), wouldn’t require any rewiring, and is a very inexpensive option.

Correct; it doesn’t. I was thinking along the same lines as @PurdueGuy, to cut in an extra device (i.e. some sort of ‘scene’ controller), to achieve the OP’s request. Additionally, its looks are the same as the GE wall devices (except for the LED color).

I have one, but it’s controlling a Monster dimmer. I’ll reconfigure to control a few GE devices.

Thank you all for the help.

Maybe I am over thinking this. Is there a Luup command that will have the left and right side of the bookcase check to see what level (ie 0-25-50-75-100%) the center switch is set to and adjust accordingly?

The LTM-5 doesn’t control a local load according to its specs url, but the original poster hasn’t indicated if that’s an issue or not.

If you don’t want to use a handheld remote, the HA07 battery powered remote can be mounted on the wall (has screw holes for hanging), wouldn’t require any rewiring, and is a very inexpensive option.[/quote]

I am not sure what you mean by local load being an issue.

Great idea, but I have been actually trying to delete all the buttons and switches from the wall with Touch screens so this unfortunately is not an option for me.

Tested it: 1x LTM-5 + 2x GE 45602. Works as expected.

• You can associate the 2 GE’s into [tt]Group 1[/tt] on the LTM-5 and that will give you on/off + dim control over the GE’s.
  • You can enable polling on the LTM-5, to keep its LED in sync. It only polls the first device in the group though.
  • You can set up an On and an Off scene on Vera. Besides setting the scene, it keeps Vera and the LTM-5 in sync, when you use the LTM-5.
  • You can change the state locally on the GE’s; Vera may pick it up instantly, or at least after the next poll.

Something like that may be possible with code, but it requires that Vera instantly sees the button presses of all 3 switches so she knows the level of the center switch / can make an immediate adjustment for the left and right switch. This is not necessarily the case with the GE gear.

The ideas require you add a device (e.g. VRCZ4-M0 / LTM-5), not replace one of the existing dimmers. Not sure if that is even an option for you.
Or replace one of the existing dimmers with a device that has a built-in switch (e.g. VRCZ4-MR), but you lose the ability to dim that light.

Tested it: 1x LTM-5 + 2x GE 45602. Works as expected.

• You can associate the 2 GE’s into Group 1 on the LTM-5 and that will give you on/off + dim control over the GE’s.
  • You can enable polling on the LTM-5, to keep its LED in sync. It only polls the first device in the group though.
  • You can set up an On and an Off scene on Vera. Besides setting the scene, it keeps Vera and the LTM-5 in sync, when you use the LTM-5.
  • You can change the state locally on the GE’s; Vera may pick it up instantly, or at least after the next poll.[/quote]

Great news. Do you get the same result by setting your LTM-5 dimmer to say 20% through vera? I ask because in my case mentioned above I have hidden all my physical switches behind touch screens so I will only be able to interact with this via the AutHomation app.

I dont mind a slight delay (I already have one now with my on/off scene).

...The proposals require you add a device (e.g. VRCZ4-M0 / LTM-5), not replace one of the existing dimmers. Not sure if that is even an option for you. Or replace one of the existing dimmers with a device that has a built-in switch (e.g. VRCZ4-MR), but you lose the ability to dim that light.

If you mean providing power to the switch, no problem there.

The LTM-5 is just a transmitter device, not a dimmer, that can talk to existing dimmers directly.

I ask because in my case mentioned above I have hidden all my physical switches behind touch screens so I will only be able to interact with this via the AutHomation app.
Ah! That changes everything... So basically, IIUC, you only make changes to the dimmers through Vera (through AutHomation), and consequently Vera will always know the current state of any of the three dimmers involved. You're now looking for code so that if you change the state of any of the three dimmers through AutHomation, the other two dimmers follow and change to the same state?

(Ex.1: change center switch to 70%: left and right switch go to 70% also.)
(Ex.2: turn off left dimmer: center and right dimmer turn off also.)