Connection loss WizzNetSR110

I have been using the caddx plugin on a vera3 UI7 with a nx584 and a r232 to usb cable, but experienced the problem of loss of connection to the nx584 within 24 hour after rebooting the vera or reload luup.

In an attempt to solve this problem I bought a wizznerSR110, that I succesfully setup to communicate with the vera and the nx584. Unfortunately I still experience the problem of loss of connection to the nx584 within 24 hour after rebooting the vera or reload luup.

Does anybody have an idea where to start looking for the cause of this problem?

Kind regards,
JP

Is the amount of time always the same, or about the same? I’m thinking a memory leak in another plugin that you have installed, that leads to the Caddx plugin failing after a while. It’s probably also instructive to watch the Luup log and see if there are any messages in there that might provide a hint.

[quote=“jplouwaard, post:1, topic:189859”]I have been using the caddx plugin on a vera3 UI7 with a nx584 and a r232 to usb cable, but experienced the problem of loss of connection to the nx584 within 24 hour after rebooting the vera or reload luup.

In an attempt to solve this problem I bought a wizznerSR110, that I succesfully setup to communicate with the vera and the nx584. Unfortunately I still experience the problem of loss of connection to the nx584 within 24 hour after rebooting the vera or reload luup.

Does anybody have an idea where to start looking for the cause of this problem?

Kind regards,
JP[/quote]

JPlouwaard, I Hve encountered a similar problem recently on my new VERA PLUS UI7, the USB connation has been successful and I can fully function the GE panel via the plug in in VERAl. However I have encountered over a 24 hour period usually overnight a similar problem where the VERA lost connection to the USB interface and therefore not communicating to the ge plugin in VERA. If I reboot the z-wave engine I usually get reconnected again. I am testing to see if this anomaly occurs when the panel is unarmed or armed/stay to see any patterns happened to be one way or the other. I ended up getting a wiznet 110SR to see if this helps alleviate. 2 days later I finally did get the wiznet to communicate to the IP and Serial interface, have had one connection success to the VERA but not yet figured out why the vera does not configure to communicate back again… still checking…

I did report the USB disconnect issue to tech support, they are capturing logs off my machine not sure what the outcome will be if any form this ticket submitted.

PS I have a VERA 3 UI5 for the last three years and all worked great on plugin V.78 in that case, in this case with VERA PLUsUI7 I am on Version 81.

Futzle,

After some configuration testing on the Wiznet Serial port, IP etc the wiznet has a connected status :slight_smile:

On the VERA Plus side (U7) i was able to get the plugin to work and can scan zones scan users etc , get event logs and arm/stay/disarm the system successfully :slight_smile: but not without several engine reloads and waiting for a while and then surprisingly it communicating.

However, what I noticed is that when the luup engine reloads or I refresh, then the plugin ends up giving me a “failed to setup interface” on one instance I got the same message but later on I was connected and could operate the security system via the plug in. But after another reload of the engine , got back to the same message

I am not sure what is causing this loss of connection to the interface, please let me know if there is anything else I can check, All settings IP address:port all match and no issues there.

Look forward to hear from your side if this has been an issue, also would something like the PnP proxy plugin interfere when the engine reloads?

Thanks

[quote=“dinochronos, post:4, topic:189859”]Futzle,

After some configuration testing on the Wiznet Serial port, IP etc the wiznet has a connected status :slight_smile:

On the VERA Plus side (U7) i was able to get the plugin to work and can scan zones scan users etc , get event logs and arm/stay/disarm the system successfully :slight_smile: but not without several engine reloads and waiting for a while and then surprisingly it communicating.

However, what I noticed is that when the luup engine reloads or I refresh, then the plugin ends up giving me a “failed to setup interface” on one instance I got the same message but later on I was connected and could operate the security system via the plug in. But after another reload of the engine , got back to the same message

I am not sure what is causing this loss of connection to the interface, please let me know if there is anything else I can check, All settings IP address:port all match and no issues there.

Look forward to hear from your side if this has been an issue, also would something like the PnP proxy plugin interfere when the engine reloads?

Thanks[/quote]

Futile, I found a work around and that is to reboot the VERA form the WIFI settings or power cycle, then when complete it will eventually re-connect back.

I have also reported this to vera tech support. As soon as I can figure out how to capture logs will try to send as well. Good news is I can get it back connected, bad news is that either via USB it drops in a 24 hour period and an engine-reload reconnects, or if instead via serial to ethernet, an engine re-load hugs up and a power cycle or re-boot re-connects the VERA Plus (UI7). Any quick insight and instructions form the community to capture log the quicker the root cause could be established. I have the ability to test VERA 3 UI5 or UI7 or VERA Edge (UI7) as well vs VERA PLUS.

Thanks again, I really love the idea of not being tethered to a USB cable to the panel via the IP/serial gateway.

I use a WizNet adapter myself but I’ve never experienced the issue with a Luup reload breaking the connection. Here are some random ideas that occur to me.

A Luup reload attempts another connection to the WizNet. If the previous connection hasn’t dropped then the WizNet will refuse the new connection. I’ve got a vague recollection that there is a configuration option in the WizNet that controls how long it tries to keep the connection open after it becomes stale. It should be a very low number, so that after the Luup engine reloads the connection is gone and ready to be re-established. The default value worked for me which is why I don’t know any more details. Alternatively, it might be a different behaviour in the Vera ser2net implementations on your Vera Edge, not exiting in a timely fashion. You could see if your Vera3 has the same behaviour.

I use a WizNet adapter myself but I've never experienced the issue with a Luup reload breaking the connection. Here are some random ideas that occur to me.

A Luup reload attempts another connection to the WizNet. If the previous connection hasn’t dropped then the WizNet will refuse the new connection. I’ve got a vague recollection that there is a configuration option in the WizNet that controls how long it tries to keep the connection open after it becomes stale. It should be a very low number, so that after the Luup engine reloads the connection is gone and ready to be re-established. The default value worked for me which is why I don’t know any more details. Alternatively, it might be a different behaviour in the Vera ser2net implementations on your Vera Edge, not exiting in a timely fashion. You could see if your Vera3 has the same behaviour.

Thank you Futzle, I will check the settings on the wiznet, also the wiznet is going though a switch and then from switch to router. Let me also play with that area as well route directly to the router and may unplug the ethernet for for the wiznet and replug and see what happens. Also I just got in a VERA EDGE as well, so I can test all three units now to see any variances… I really hesitated getting one more unit, but with a pretty extensive setup at home which was perfect on VERA3 UI5, I not cannot afford to migrate to the PLUS model without any glitches and therefore can benchmark the prior units in UI5…UI7 and see if any variances.

Last if the PLUS model has issues for any reason I have also escalated to VERA the issue so they can trouble shoot, and can get to the right team for checking out any thing on their firmware/hardware side as well, keep you posted.

Also once past the issue, I owe you a log on the panic buttons functional validation to get those tested out as well.Thanks

Futile,

I did a bit more alternate testing using the VERA3 and going back to the UI5 instead of the UI7 using V78 of your plugin. Interestingly the UI5 app and using either the USB connection I had or the wiznet connection either way it works perfectly of the last several hours which leads me to also think this will stay connected as long as possible

I am going to leave the wiznet connected to the VERA3 for at least 24 hours to see if there is any disconnect issues that suddenly crop up after a login 24 hours later… (i am doubtful that will happen but nevertheless will rule this out too)

Incidentally the VERA 3 on UI7 behaved he same was as the VERA Edge on UI7 i.e. both of them did not connect ( also when switching vera’s one has to disconnect the wiznet power it down and switch units as otherwise the serial/ip port stays locked to the last unit connected, not a bit deal just have to do that each time I with vera’s

If the VERA 3 on UI5 is stable even with the wiznet (for sure on USB its been good of a solid 3 years without glitches.)… Then I am afraid a deeper look at the behavior of the VERA’s on UI7 will need to be looked at in terms of logs etc. As mentioned I am also getting a VERA EDGE just for one more comparison to see how it behaves as well.

Will be back as soon as I have more results…

Futzle

Have spoken with Vera Support about the USB dropping issue and they stated that a firmware upgrade is out by end of March and apparently they have made some fixes to the USB issue and should have a new firmware version to validate functionality, hopefully this will take care of the issue via this communication path USB >RS232 and stabilize the VERA PLUS. Apparently when I spoke with them they said this issue is to VERA PLUS and not VERA EDGE. I am getting a VERA Edge as mentioned to test Alternatively as well.

Separately yesterday I did try the wiznet connected to the VERA 3 via UI5 , power cycled the wiznet first to release the serial port form prior connection. Got the connection working, but unfortunately for some reason overnight the next morning the plugin lost connection and did not allow me to reconnect.

One pattern i am now seeing is that powercylcing the Wiznet and disconnecting the Ethernet and reconnecting gets the communication back.

I am not sure if I have a not so good wiznet (have a replacement coming) or there is something in the network that somehow causes the drop. Will keep testing this…

[quote=“dinochronos, post:7, topic:189859”]

I use a WizNet adapter myself but I’ve never experienced the issue with a Luup reload breaking the connection. Here are some random ideas that occur to me.

Thank you Futzle, I will check the settings on the wiznet, also the wiznet is going though a switch and then from switch to router. Let me also play with that area as well route directly to the router and may unplug the ethernet for for the wiznet and replug and see what happens. Also I just got in a VERA EDGE as well, so I can test all three units now to see any variances… I really hesitated getting one more unit, but with a pretty extensive setup at home which was perfect on VERA3 UI5, I not cannot afford to migrate to the PLUS model without any glitches and therefore can benchmark the prior units in UI5…UI7 and see if any variances.

Last if the PLUS model has issues for any reason I have also escalated to VERA the issue so they can trouble shoot, and can get to the right team for checking out any thing on their firmware/hardware side as well, keep you posted.

Also once past the issue, I owe you a log on the panic buttons functional validation to get those tested out as well.Thanks[/quote]

Futlze I posted also in other topic around the wiznet instllation instructions so that others in case running to same issue can configure the inactivity port , I found that changing the parameter from 0 to say 10 seconds, allows the lump to load/re-load correctly and not fail to configure because the port is opened and reserved not allowing the GE plugin to configure properly. I have been testing the for the last 24 hours and it works so far.

Essentially before I could not even do an engine re-load. Now anytime I make a change that causes to reload the engine or manually invoke it works. Also when the port is closed it quickly wakes up and accepts the commands via vera to run a log report, check zones, users, arm,stay disarm. Also I am using accessng the app via VERAMATE which also works and communicates properly. Not sure if 10 seconds is the right amount of time but definetly better than the default of 0 . Tested this in VERA PLUS UI7 and VERA EDGE UI7 and it now is working properly.

If I run into further issues will post but will be keeping this parameter running indefinitely unless a better set of parameters are suggested.

I even had VERA tech support take a look but nevertheless, after your suggestion this did the trick and appreciate your insight.