Connecting a security system

I have a simple Vera setup, Kwikset door locks, garage door controllers, with Vera3 on 1.7. I want to add security to my system.

I’ve scanned the messages, but I feel like I’m missing something. I’ve read that using Vera for security isn’t the best way, that it’s better to use a stand alone and connect it. But, I’m very unclear on how that works. Can any system be added, or are there certain ones that people have added with apps? I’d like something like 2gig’s GC3. I’m not totally against just adding a touch screen panel that can work with Vera if that’s possible, but I want a dedicate one, not just the Vera screen on a tablet, and I don’t see anything about doing that.

So basically, I want a touch screen panel for the alarm. It would be great if I could also control the rest of the devices. I don’t want to lose Vera, as I want the remote access. I don’t need or want monitoring.

Is there a section on here or a thread that has this info that I’ve missed? I mean, by now, it seems that a control panel would be a common item, yet it seems barely covered.

Thanks.

Search for DSC or look through the security board.

Thanks, a lot of info to search thru.

Am I correct that the alarm systems are just for sensors, which are a different frequency than z-wave? So if I wanted to monitor door locks for example, I wouldn’t be able to do that through the alarm panel? The idea as I understand it is that you set up the alarm system, then can control it via Vera through the integration module.

What I’m really looking for is a touchscreen panel that I can control all my devices and set the alarm.

I’m a little unclear at exactly what your after. Let me however describe my environment, first I have had a DSC hardwired alarm system for many years, works great. Added an interface module to it (EVL-3) and with a plugin Vera is now aware of the state of all my door and window switches etc. Then on my wall mounted iPad I’m running Imperihome which allows access to all Alarm system functions and states plus has full Vera control over everything.

[quote=“Tulex, post:3, topic:193548”]Thanks, a lot of info to search thru.

Am I correct that the alarm systems are just for sensors, which are a different frequency than z-wave? So if I wanted to monitor door locks for example, I wouldn’t be able to do that through the alarm panel? The idea as I understand it is that you set up the alarm system, then can control it via Vera through the integration module.

What I’m really looking for is a touchscreen panel that I can control all my devices and set the alarm.[/quote]

Do a search. Mount a tablet on the wall 8-10" andriod or Apple. Install either Imperihome (for andriod) Homewave (for Apple) on the wall. You will then have a touch screen that has thermostats, sensors, lights, alarm and everything in one app. Imperihome also as wake up when you walk by (via built in tablet camera) you also have options like having camera feeds pop up say when motion is on front porch if you have a camera and motion sensor out there.

^ ^^

Thanks guys. What I want is probably not obtainable, but below is the end result.

Only one touch panel to control everything, locks, garage doors, alarm.
A clean interface to control alarm like dedicated alarms have.
Non z-wave alarm system, both for distance and reliability.
Remote access without a monthly fee.

From what I can tell, I could get all of the above BUT remote access with the DSC Touch, but I don’t believe that will pair with Vera, as the EVL module doesn’t list it as compatible.

[quote=“Tulex, post:6, topic:193548”]^ ^^

Thanks guys. What I want is probably not obtainable, but below is the end result.

From what I can tell, I could get all of the above BUT remote access with the DSC Touch, but I don’t believe that will pair with Vera, as the EVL module doesn’t list it as compatible.[/quote]

You can get all that with a vista 20 or a compadable dsc. Don’t grt a dsc touch get one that works works with vera then do what i posted above.

So do I get the user friendly alarm screen from Imperihome? I’ve not been able to find any images that show what their security looks like.

Yes, and Imperihome is customizable so it looks like what ever you make it. But here is somewhat of a image.

Images can be your own or default like in the pic. You can upload your own image for on/off arm dissarm.

layouts you choose from different templets. You can mix and match arm with temps (weather), clocks, or what ever also. You can choose background image or colors.

You can also arm and disarm your DSC alarm with Imperihome.

[quote=“Tulex, post:6, topic:193548”]^ ^^

From what I can tell, I could get all of the above BUT remote access with the DSC Touch, but I don’t believe that will pair with Vera, as the EVL module doesn’t list it as compatible.[/quote]

Similar to what others have said, I have a DSC alarm system interfaced to Vera using the EVL interface and the Vera Plug in. I use ImperiHome on fixed tablets and phones. The fixed tablets are configured with the DSC status and control on the home page so walking by the front door the screen opens up displaying the state of the alarm system at all times. There are panels at several locations in the house and at each door to/from outside, each displaying and controlling the state of the alarm.

All the phones in the family have Imperihome set up with a simplified interface displaying and controlling the alarm system so everyone in the family can see/control the state of the alarm from anywhere. Combined with the SMS and Pushover notifications via VeraALerts everyone knows exactly what is happening in the house regardless of where they are.