Compatibility with openHAB 2

@guessed: did you test the MiOS binding in OH 2 through the compatibility layer ? What are the results ?

I did a little, and then ran across a problem with their conversion of UnDef values.

See the discussion here:
Redirecting to Google Groups

I’m waiting for this to be fixed before testing any deeper.

Seeing that the UnDef issue seems to be resolved, any updates on this?

I haven’t done any further testing on this, but feel free to try it out and let us know.

Anyone running with OpenHAB2 / any info re issues ?

K

I’d love to get this working, given the steep learning curve on Openhab 1.x. I’ve setup 2.0 from cloudbees and it’s controlling my Squeezebox setup with very fast response times. I’ve tried copying the mios-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT binding and action files into the addons folder and creating a mios.cfg in /conf/services and I can see in the logs that it’s loading and creating a unit “house”. However, nothing apperars in the OH 2 UI.
So far that’s as far as I have gone until I get some free time to work on it. Any assistance would be most welcome!

If you post your Items file (as generated by the MiOS Item Generator) and a TRACE level openhab.log file, then I can look for anomalies.

This should be done to the openHAB forum though, since it’ll get lost here.

I had hoped that the MIOS binding would auto-popuate the items in OH 2 in a manner similar to the Squeezebox binding, where I just pointed it at the server and it detected all my players around the house. I guess by what you are saying that is not going to happen. Oh well!
I had run the items generator in OH 1.x and it worked up the the point of showing me a very long list of my devices. After that, I simply did not have the time or energy to struggle with cfg files to get it to a point where Openhab ran the show while my VeraLite provided the ZWave front end. I’m afraid I’m more of a hardware person than software. I’ll take a look at it at the weekend, and I’ll let you know how it goes.
Given my lack of knowledege, am I better off struggling with OH 1.7 or 2.0? At least with 2.0, I have some devices working so I’d prefer to stick with it if I’m not going to run into compatability issues with the MIOS binding.

openHAB 2.0 runs openHAB 1.x Bindings in a compatibility mode container. Under this mode, you get the same functionality as those Bindings provided under openHAB 1.x.

openHAB 2.0 add a bunch of new functionality, but the most obvious are an auto-discovery feature, and a tweak of the model to formalize the streams provided by a Binding.

For openHAB 1.x, the MiOS Item Generator is the logical equivalent of the auto-discovery feature (minus the channel association)

You should also be able to pick up your Vera’s definition, and use the OH 2.x mechanisms to put them into UI’s (etc). If not, then that’s a discussion to open, on https://community.openhab.org, under the OH 2.x discussion area.

I guess by what you are saying that is not going to happen. Oh well!

Not exactly.

For openHAB 2.x, they’ve mostly got the discovery mechanism down for Bridges, where the Bridge handles a dynamic-list of a fixed set-of-types. There are a few examples of this now in the codebase (eg. Squeezebox 2.0 Binding)

For a MiOS 2.x openHAB Binding, there needs to be a clear framework for a dynamic-list of a dynamic set-of-types. Each time I look to see if the OH 2.0 framework has been extended to handle this, I come up blank. The nearest I find are the Z-Wave openHAB 2.0 Binding discussions, and there are too many open-ended discussions with little/unsatisfactory outcomes.

Once these discussions settle, the missing pieces added and strong code-examples exist, it’ll be easier to build an openHAB 2.0 MiOS Binding. Until then, it would be a lot of banging-head-against-wall activity (and time is not plentiful to do that right now)…

I had run the items generator in OH 1.x and it worked up the the point of showing me a very long list of my devices. After that, I simply did not have the time or energy to struggle with cfg files to get it to a point where Openhab ran the show while my VeraLite provided the ZWave front end. I'm afraid I'm more of a hardware person than software. I'll take a look at it at the weekend, and I'll let you know how it goes.
Once you have that, and you deploy that Items file to OH2, it's supposed to provide the rest for you.

Let us know how your tests work out.

Given my lack of knowledege, am I better off struggling with OH 1.7 or 2.0? At least with 2.0, I have some devices working so I'd prefer to stick with it if I'm not going to run into compatability issues with the MIOS binding.
OH 2.0 is the road less travelled at this point and that's independent of which bindings you're using. Since it's a community-based open-source project, it's expected that community members are trying stuff out, and blazing trails in order to provide feedback to trigger the improvement.

If that sounds daunting, then I’d take the road-more-travelled, which is OH 1.7 (and shortly OH 1.8 ) There are a lot of users on that system, and an extremely active, very technical, Forum community that provide examples, fix core & binding code, and documentation.
There’s a lot to leverage there.

OH 2.0 still uses the XTend/Xtext (ish) Rule engine. That appears to be the biggest source of trouble for users that are starting out.

@mrguessed- I noticed that you uploaded changes to openhab2 this weekend. Any updates if this works now ? Thanks for your hard work.

It’s baby steps ATM, with the core MiOS Binding mostly working, but the MiOS Action binding (for scripts) having some issues.

@lolodomo has been helping a ton, which I greatly appreciate… It’s great to see this level on cross-community engagement to integrate across the stacks (best of both worlds)

Anyhow, most of the MiOS threads are tagged over there, so it’s easy enough to keep track of the progress.

That said, it’s going to take a while for me to do the remaining debugging (mostly due to limited time on my part, but also due to becoming familiar with the overall changes in OH2, and its backward compat layer)

I can confirm that the MiOS binding with the recent changes done by @guessed is now working well in very recent openHAB2 snapshots.
I have only a problem with my dimming lights (using HABdroid).
And, as @guessed explained, the MiOS action is unfortunately not working at all.

More generally, openHAB beta 1 has to be avoided (a real disaster regarding compatibility with 1.x bindings). Hopefully, things are evolving quickly and the last openHAB2 snapshots are now more usable. But lots of bugs still have to be fixed to be at the level of openHAB 1.8.

You have to know that the compatibility is now very good in openHAB2 beta 2 for the MiOS binding.