Comparison of EVL3 and IT-100

I am in the process of trying to decide what exactly to by for a Home Automation and Security System. Based on everything I have read so far DSC 1832 sounds like a popular and affordable solution. I am stuck on which interface is the best solution for connecting to the alarm Panel the EVL3 via Ethernet or the IT100 via Serial with USB adapter. I found a coupe of old posts that mentioned that it was recommended to use the default password on the EVL3 which sounds like a security concern to me. I also ran into a post that mentions not all of the features in the IT-100 was implemented in the EVL3 but no actual details. Most of the more current post mention the EVL3 but I am uncertain if it is being used because it is the newer of the two options and not necessarily the better of the two.

So my questions are: Does anyone have an actual comparison of the two solutions? Does the EVL3 make the setup easier of the alarm panel by having access to a web UI instead of a just a keypad?

The EVL3 has many advantages (I’ve owned an IT100 too)

• easier to set up.
  • no serial or IP to serial adapter required
  • can be used without Vera for notifications etc.
  • provides it’s own local and remote web interface to arm and disarm etc.
  • profesional monitoring optional (cheapest in the industry)

The only real disadvantage is that it will not broadcast the labels that you may have programmed for each zone, and you will need to name your zones in Vera manually, whereas the IT100 will do this automatically with the Vera plugin.

Anyway, the above is a minor annoyance, but easily rectified, and since most people rename all their Vera devices anyway, it’s a known process.

I still have both the IT100 and the older 2DS connected. Which do I use, the 2DS (earlier version of the EVL3).
The is no difference WRT the connecting panel,
difference in label broadcast as previous identified by @strangley.
Significant integration capability via the external portal, including;
Able to add and view cameras,
Able to add thermostat (3m/50) next firmware release.
Unlimited Notifications.

A number of people have experienced issues with the local integration between their EVL3 and their Vera and in every case, it has been their local network configuration that has resulted in drop outs. Once sorted, we never here from them. This problem is not the EVL3 working externally which has never been an issue.

What is the best interface for connecting to a DSC alarm IT-100 or EVL3? I have read some articles that claim that the EVL3 does not expose as much details from the panel and that not all features were implemented.

The EVL3 and the only thing not exposed is the label broadcast. There are additional functions detailed in their API not implemented and I have only ever seen this raise once…

In terms of functional capability the EVL3 is much better sort if like
EVL3 = IT100 + TL150 + TL3xx functionality combined for interface, integration, reporting and monitoring.

i just picked up a evl3 and a 1832 and was up and running in no time. still have programing to do but all my wired sensors from my old napco are working perfect with vera

Would it be possible to connect both the EVL3 and the IT-100 to DSC at the same time?

Yes, you can have multiple.

The issues lies with both site on the same keypad slot and the label broadcast may or may not be effective.

To overcome this, connect the IT100 first, do broadcast and then power down to connect EVL.

I have both IT100 and EVL-3 connected with no issues. Only thought might be if you also have multiple panels in addition to both modules, you might have to do pig tail wires off the control board in order to connect all the devices as the screw terminals might be too small to accommodate all the leads. I originally thought I was going with Homeseer, and their plugin for the EVL-3 the same price as the IT100. Figured I might as well make my DSC system as flexible as possible. Still needed the EVL-3 for internet monitoring of course.

I don’t think I hooked them up in a particular order. I believe I had everything connected upon first boot. I use IT100 to connect to the Vera, so there are two independent paths of connectivity if one of them should fail. Of course I’m still at the mercy of Comcast’s crappy internet service in either case as I never got a copper phone line or cellular backup.

Thanks guys, I’ll give it a try. I already have EVL3 and I also just need IT-100 for HomeSeer. I’ve pretty much had it with Vera, so I’m evaluating HomeSeer. The best thing about Vera these days are these forums :slight_smile: