Code to collect Temperature from sensors

I just spent a ton to have all the ductwork in my HVAC system reworked. This summer I want to collect the temp data from the sensors in the rooms. Rather than looking at all of them one at a time, I thought about automation. Would it be possible to create code that will periodically grab the temps and send them via telegram?

Thanks

Unfortunately there is still no data logging function. I recently created a feature request for this:

https://jira.mios.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/72/ECS-1118

Anything else would just be an emergency solution for me. A notification mesh bot would also be conceivable, which packs the data into a message every x minutes (but there would have to be placeholders for this, which do not exist). But then who would want to type out the data from the news?

Let’s see what happens when

1 Like

Can you interrogate these sensors from Ezlo already? If so then it would seem possible to create a meshbot to run periodically to go poll all these sensors and forward the results via some notification method.

I did something similar several years ago to diagnose a problem in my HVAC system. I used a RaspberryPi with a flash card and would read temps from four DS18b20 sensors in the return and supply plenums. Each read cycle was a new record in the flash file and later on I could read the file into excel (csv format) and then analyze the data. I had to write my own python program but it was pretty basic. There are libraries for things like DS18b20 sensors so you don;t have to get too deep in the weeds.

1 Like

I was thinking about running something every couple hours and just grabbing current temps and sending them. I don’t want to collect them past just sending them. I’m looking for something similar since I have no idea where to even start. I can rework something similar existing. (I hope)

Not sure if this can be done yet in Meshbot rules?

In MSR you can, in a rules action using “Notify” in the Message field you can not only add regular text, you can also add the value of a variable(s) into that message text also.

Message text -

Check Battery Level ${{battery_low_names}}

For example “battery_low_names” being the names of my devices that have low batteries, and the current battery level value, as an example from one of my MSR rules that sends messages to Telegram.

Plus Ezlo dont “natively” support Telegram like MSR does.

On Ezlo Meshbot rules you can only send HTTP requests from the rules action to send a message to Telegram.

So not sure how you would dynamically insert a variables value aka a temp sensor value, into the HTTP url ? aka the message that is sent to Telegram?

1 Like

This is their help page for Telegram “support”.

1 Like

Hi @Odysee , @BillC , @curiousB , @cw-kid

As of now we dont have the ability to directly send the data out using variables or in HTTP requests.
But we are already working on the development of it. So shortly we will release this feature.

For a temporary solution, a Lua script or plugin can be created and that would subscribe to the hub broadcasts, filter sensors per device name/id, and then send it out to a 3rd party URL
I will have a look at it and see if we can have a simple version for this.

2 Likes

What about the data logging function? Is there anything planned? Power consumption, temperature profiles, switching processes and the graphical representation of this data are for me and certainly for many others one of the basic functions of a smart home.

1 Like

Regarding data logging the only current way I think would be to use Multi System Reactor with your Ezlo hub and the MSR InfluxDB plugin.

1 Like

Shame the Vera to Ezlo bridge plugin isnt two way and works backwards Ezlo to Vera.

As the Vera firmware hubs also had an InfluxDB plugin

1 Like

Hi, @Odysee , @cw-kid
We already have the basic infrastructure of the data logging and visualization , so we will be building on top of that to give you access to data through cloud first and view it through charting capabilities on the dashboard. This should not be more than couple of weeks at latest.
In parallel we will build APIs on the hub to extract and export the data from sensors to any endpoint you like. I can’t give you a timeframe for the second but we will try to do it asap.

2 Likes

Do you have any desired protocol preference to send these logs to 3rd party endpoint ?
HTTP, MQTT etc
 ?

In my case I could use http since I have that set up