Changing on/off device to dimmer ?

I have a rfx device, which is a on/off for a light. That is actually a dimemr, but i did not want it to dim so i used a on/off device for it instead. I now would like to enable the dimmer functionality, is there an easy way to change the device from on/off to dimmer control ?

The safest way to do what you want is to exclude it and reinclude it as a dimmer. However, it may be possible to successfully change the device file for this device by changing D_BinaryLight1.xml to D_DimmableLight1.xml under the ‘Advanced’ tab for the device. If you do this, reload Vera’s dashboard and refresh your browser.

Good luck.

changing the device file seems to have worked, far easier than to exclude and re-include…

thanks very much

guys,
this means all switch can be a dimmer and vice-versa ?

only changing the setting files ?

looks as if it works, jus change the xml file, save, wait a little while, reload and its a dimmer (my physical device has been a dimmer anyway, but when i created the device on vera i only wanted it with on/off functionality)

[quote=“Piwtorak”]guys,
this means all switch can be a dimmer and vice-versa ?

only changing the setting files ?[/quote]

Would that this were true. Alas, it will only work for what the physical device is capable of natively.

I have an Everspring light sensor that works with D_LightSensor1.xml, D_GenericIO1.xml, and D_ComboDevice1.xml.

In my case, there are pluses and minuses to using each one.