Can't configure MySensors Sensebender serial gateway on UI7

I seem to have come to a dead end with Vera Support so am hoping someone here might be able to help. I was hoping to upgrade my Arduino nano-based MySensors serial gateway with the Sensebender Gateway board. When I plug the device into my powered usb hub, the device is claimed by the cdc-acm driver and appears as /dev/ttyACM0, but does not appear in the ‘Configure Serial port’ window on UI7 no matter how many times I restart the luup engine or reboot the controller. Also, no entry appears in /proc/tty/driver/usbserial as it does for devices that appear as /dev/ttyUSBx and I think this is where UI7 is getting a list of devices to display for port configuration.

I’ve read several threads here and on other forums offering a variety of workarounds, but so far, none have worked. There is an old thread on the MySensors forum of someone who had the exact same problem and Vera Support was able to configure their control to recognize the device. After getting nowhere with Vera support myself, I posted on the same thread hoping to get details of the configuration, but there doesn’t seem to be much traffic there these days. It confirms this CAN be done though.

Following other threads trying to get ADM devices configure on Vera, I’ve tried many things.
Adding vendor and product numbers to the /etc/cmh/serproxy.ports and /etc/modules.d/usb-acm files had no effect I could see.

Forcing the device to be claimed by the generic USB driver Adding VID/PID to /etc/module.d/usb-serial and renaming to 60-usb-serial creates an entry in /proc/tty/driver/usbserial and allows UI7 to recognize the device for configuration. After setting baud to the proper 115200 and pointing to the gateway, the UI says the device is happy, but no communication is established.

Doing the same to force the device to use the ftdi driver causes two entries in /proc/tty/driver/usbserial and two in the Configure Serial port interface. Settings changed in the UI don’t stick. I think this is a clue to why the generic usb driver doesn’t work. Maybe something about the device presenting as a modem, but I don’t know enough about it.

I also tried ser2net by issuing ( “ser2net -C 5000:raw:0:/dev/ttyACM0:115200”) in a ssh window and in startup.lua. I also tried adding the configuration string to /etc/ser2net.conf according to the ser2net man pages. What’s interesting about this is that if I open a telnet connection to port 5000, I can see communication with the device, but the UI still shows it as unhappy and I get no response trying to communicate with the gateway through the UI.

At this point, I feel like I’m close, but stuck on what to try next. I’m also disappointed I haven’t gotten better response form support given that they’ve apparently solved this exact problem at least once before.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello,

We’ll verify once more what could be causing this problem and reply.

Greatly appreciated. Thanks!