Can I use my old VeraLite in combination with VeraPlus to extend the range?

Hi Guys, I received my new VeraPlus and have transferred everything over from the old VeraLite. Can I keep the VeraLite on the network too and just use it to improve the range throughout the house? Is there any sort of guide on how to do that?

Used to be called bridging but I don’t ever think it has worked right and I’ll bet it’s not an option for the plus yet.

Unless you have a very large home, I think a second Vera will not offer much advantage. Remember that ZWave devices themselves will relay for you (which is why ZWave is known as a “mesh” network).

Where the second Vera comes in handy is if you have a remote location, such as a separate garage or a granny flat.

Two Vera’s can be bridged together, but bridging can be a problem if the Vera’s are on different software levels.

There are also ways of sending commands from one Vera to another. However it is a bother unless you have a good reason to have both Vera’s operational.

I had the same question. Using Altui, it seems as though the best/strongest radio for all of my devices is in the actual controller. It would be nice if I could have a controller at each end of the house, connected by IP, that can simply act as a repeater. I have a large home with a stucco exterior and large aluminum patio. It can be difficult to get a strong signal throughout my home and outdoors. I assume this is because of the wire mesh holding the stucco and the metal in the patio causing propagation issues.

One of the reasons I jumped ship to HomeSeer. You can have one controller and many z-wave antennas in remote locations.

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:5, topic:191210”]One of the reasons I jumped ship to HomeSeer. You can have one controller and many z-wave antennas in remote locations.[/quote]This makes it sound like someone can scatter Z-Nets around the network and the HS controller decides which one to transmit from or possibly transmits from all. While this sounds great, it doesn’t really fit with the way I know that Z-Wave usually works.

By my reading, it seems that the Z-Nets are actually discrete controllers managing discrete Z-Wave networks and the HS controller then issues commands to the appropriate Z-Net via TCP/IP. This is in fact exactly how Vera bridging works. When it works.

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but the HS Z-Nets seem functionally identical to Vera bridging and not a unique feature/concept.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:6, topic:191210”][quote=“integlikewhoa, post:5, topic:191210”]One of the reasons I jumped ship to HomeSeer. You can have one controller and many z-wave antennas in remote locations.[/quote]This makes it sound like someone can scatter Z-Nets around the network and the HS controller decides which one to transmit from or possibly transmits from all. While this sounds great, it doesn’t really fit with the way I know that Z-Wave usually works.

By my reading, it seems that the Z-Nets are actually discrete controllers managing discrete Z-Wave networks and the HS controller then issues commands to the appropriate Z-Net via TCP/IP. This is in fact exactly how Vera bridging works. When it works.

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but the HS Z-Nets seem functionally identical to Vera bridging and not a unique feature/concept.[/quote]

That is correct but it works and without a hassle to set it up. I have never got my edge or lite to work in bridge mode and endless threads here suggest it doesn’t.
I also feel if more of a z-wave antenna as there is nothing in a remote USB stick or Z-net that needs any setting up or touching. On the HS controller you click add z-wave and choose your auto located device from the drop down. I feel to put a vera into bridge mode doesn’t work the same.

A 39.99 usb z-wave stick with a long usb cable, usb extender or a PI also work for remote z-wave networks on the same network. Z-Nets on site also.

I started with my Blueiris Server and a 40.00 Smartstick+ to move everything from the vera edge to homeseer.