Can Cameras also substitute for a PIR

Hey guys,
I’m thinking of getting camera’s into my system. I have only tinkered once with a generic IP camera so now i am thinking mayber i should get Blue Iris and some quality camera’s (not $1000 ones). The Hikvision looked good.
So, they all have PIR built in. Can you use that PIR to trigger like you would a dedicate PIR? or is that just getting too complicated?

thanks

I use this with Blue Iris and hikavision and it works great. The camera does not have a PIR sensor built in… but the plugin gives you the capability.

I have another camera related question. Can an USB webcam be connected to the vera and being configured as a camera in the UI7 interface?

[quote=“dindsy, post:1, topic:186991”]Hey guys,
I’m thinking of getting camera’s into my system. I have only tinkered once with a generic IP camera so now i am thinking mayber i should get Blue Iris and some quality camera’s (not $1000 ones). The Hikvision looked good.
So, they all have PIR built in. Can you use that PIR to trigger like you would a dedicate PIR? or is that just getting too complicated?

thanks[/quote]

Which cameras are you looking at with PIR?

I use Hikvisions with BI and have them trigger motion, but the cameras don’t have PIR and because of that light, or shdows can set off cameras. PIR is more accurate and works better then only BI motion detection.

Yes motion is most definitely a problem.

On my side yard, Sammie the squirrel likes the run along the fence cap and jump onto the house. Then there’s Spidey who comes out at night and weaves the ole’ web right in front of that camera (almost all my cameras). The ridonculous rat who meanders in the driveway at 2 am - yep, he trips it cause he’s too close… And last but not least, the foliage (tree’s and bushes) just left and right of my front door. I’ve even seen the sensors trip by the tree’s casting a shadow on a wall during the day.

I use a Fibaro motion sensors pointed down from the ceiling (not exposed to weather) towards the floor, this sits just above the front door and back door. You walk up to either of those doors and the sensor trips.

Yup I have those problems. I been thinking about running some alarm panel motions wired under a few eaves, but I have yet to find a motion that people say works outside for a decent price.

Cool. Sounds like the Plugin is the way to go.

I was looking at this camera on Amazon. Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW. It says built in PIR. I am also in Australia so finding ones that ship here is hard. Like the outdoor version Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I, says it doesn’t ship here. Whats up with that.

Cool. Sounds like the Plugin is the way to go.

I was looking at this camera on Amazon. Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW. It says built in PIR. I am also in Australia so finding ones that ship here is hard. Like the outdoor version Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I, says it doesn’t ship here. Whats up with that.[/quote]

The DS-2cd2432F-IW is a plastic indoor camera with mic and speaker and PIR. The DS-2CD2032-I are metal outdoor cameras. I use alot of those outside. Where is yours getting mounted?

BlueIris doesn’t need the plugin installed to use motions in VERA. You can use Virtual Motion sensor plugin and create as many child devices you need. Alot less load on Vera without the cameras. I recently removed all my cameras and plugin from VERA due to problems.

Good to note the useage on Vera. Also, good to know that the motion can work directly without the Blue Iris Plugin. Does the plug in itself use a lot of resource or only if the camera feeds are used. I haven’t played with any of it yet.

I am going to mount an indoor camera at first and one outside one on the front porch.

[quote=“dindsy, post:9, topic:186991”]Good to note the useage on Vera. Also, good to know that the motion can work directly without the Blue Iris Plugin. Does the plug in itself use a lot of resource or only if the camera feeds are used. I haven’t played with any of it yet.

I am going to mount an indoor camera at first and one outside one on the front porch.[/quote]

Can’t have one without the other. Nothing works in the plugin without the camera image. Can’t have a sensor without the camera or multiple sensors without multiple cameras.

But to be more direct its probley more the camera images, followed by multiple parent devices. A child doesn’t use much resources as a parent.

The Virtual Motion sensor creates one parent and as many children as you want. The BI plugin creates a parent for each camera and a child for each camera if you want the motion sensor.