Build up of Reactor sensor

Hey, guys!

I’m looking into rebulding my whole setup at home. Try to make it even smarter than it is, and I hope you have some ideas to how to build everything up.

How have you guys sorted out your reactor sensor? Room by room, floor by floor, sensor by sensor?
Any ideas would be appreciated :slight_smile:

/Ken

I follow the sage advice of Reactor’s creator, by setting up one Reactor per room. Although I’ve established a few extra Reactors for specialized use, such as handling House Mode or managing all the buttons on a handheld remote. I’ve also got a Reactor set up exclusively for detecting certain conditions (app not authorized; battery level low; periodic alerts, etc.) and sending me messages.

1 Like

I think a blended approach makes sense. One should not lock themselves into one way of doing things. I also have exceptions in my configurations, because I think it makes sense. Like @LibraSun, I’ve got a couple of “whole house” RS’s that handle things like splitting the day up into four phases (morning/wake, day, evening, night/sleep). The other RS’s use the logic outputs of these to do their work in individual rooms. I have a separate RS for controlling my theater devices, which coordinates with the room RS for the theater that handles the lighting (e.g., the RS controlling the theater signals the RS controlling the lights to dim or brighten the room).

The key, really, is to do what makes sense to you. Do what you can keep straight in your mind and revisit later without having to spend an hour figuring out what you did first. If you have a design pattern, you’re already that much further ahead: you know where to start looking when you want to change.

Also, don’t forget that you can run a “Logic Summary” from the Reactor master device and it will output summaries for all of your ReactorSensors, so that’s a good way to get a system-wide view of all your logic. Copy-paste it into a text editor and you can search around. I particularly like to use Notepad++ (Windows) for this, because when I double-click a device number or condition/group ID to select it, it automatically highlights every other instance of that string in the file, so I can just scroll around to see other appearances/uses of it.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like we all use similar setups, room by room and some whole house RS’s, so that’s good. Then I think I just need to look at the different RS’s to see if I’m able to make them better.

I have some issues with things not working like I want them to, which I’ll look into :slight_smile:

/Ken

Personally, most of my RSs are grouped by functionality, rather than room. So for example, we have solar panels, and a sensor to detect when we’re exporting electricity, this them triggers devices around the house and garden to start working…

2 Likes