Box for Arduino Gateway

Thought I’d share my box for my gateway.

Cool! :slight_smile:

Nice and clean!

• Garrett

like!

Thanks. Now I need to find a usb hub that looks nice and actually works. Possibly put one inside and add an extra port. The one I have that works gets too warm to put inside.

Make sure that the usb hub is powered. Vera does not provide enough power to allow a hub and multiple devices. You will run into issues.

• Garrett

Wow… you did a heck of a nice job on that!

Nicely done!

It makes me wonder why nobody asked yet:

• how is the usb connected?
  • is there wifi in a vera-lite? ???

[quote=“garrettwp”]Make sure that the usb hub is powered. Vera does not provide enough power to allow a hub and multiple devices. You will run into issues.

• Garrett[/quote]
    I have a powered hub but no power connected to it that works. Usb logging and serial survive reboots and heavy use. I have been using it for a long time. Its just ugly. I have several other unpowered hubs that cause issues like you say.

I may use a 5v&12v combo power brick I have to power both Vera (12v) and 5v to a small hub inside. Maybe solder it in place of the usb port or add a port.

[quote=“C4Vette”]Nicely done!

It makes me wonder why nobody asked yet:

• how is the usb connected?
  • is there wifi in a vera-lite? ???[/quote]
    No WiFi in a veralite. It has an Ethernet port, 1 usb port and power. For now I plug a hub into the usb port on the veralite and then the blue usb cable from the arduino nano into the hub with a tiny nub usb drive also. If I didn’t use the usb logging I could just plug the blue cable into the back of the Vera lite. If only it had 2 ports.

The right antenna connection looks like it goes to the vera board… So I’m wonders why also ???

I believe that is the “External z-wave antenna” hack to increase the range of the veralite.

Oh, while I was in there I added a 2-3dBi 900MHz antenna for the zwave, replacing the internal one. There’s some discussion on here somewhere about adding an external antenna for zwave.

Have you noticed a positive effect by adding an external antenna?

A door lock and a switch in a back room don’t have retries anymore. But I did it because it was only $5 and I was going to be opening it anyway.