Blaster useless for cabinet setup ??

I have been keen on using my iPhone as a remote for years now but currently have a harmony 890 pro that gives me an all in one solution for my lights and multiple room av setup.

The sq blaster look promising but my situation seems to present 1 problem. All 3 of my tvs are in seperate rooms as my cable boxes, ps3, ht receiver etc… Currently my harmonys use ir to control the tvs and rf to ir blaster to control my other components inside a cabinet. If I’m using the sq blaster it would be in the cabinet with my components, how would I turn my tvs on and off? It seems I would need an additional remote to send the ir signal, which would be a step backwards from my current 1 remote setup.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

The newly announced SQBlaster Plus which we were showing at CES is designed for both in cabinet and in room blasting.

It has 8 builtin blasters that give 270degree coverage. It can be easily wall or ceiling mounted or it looks quite good on a table under the TV.

In addition it has four addressable IR ‘ports’ that can be used with IR emitters (they stick on equipment) or blasters (small LED’s that can be placed underneath or next to equipment.

Because it is a WiFi to IR solution, you can install multiple devices and the software will route the command to the correct blaster, and then to the correct set of IR channel.

The Plus works with the existing Mios plugin and SQRemote HD so you can have one interface to both lights and AV components.

We will be offering a ‘bundle’ price if you want to do an install like the one you are suggesting.

We are in final stages of FCC testing and expect to start shipping within the next few weeks.

Hope this helps!

Mat

Sounds good. Now I know why I couldn’t find a new blaster for sale anywhere – new product. Can I pre-order? Send me email

We are supposed to of put all the details on our web site by the end of this week… and that will include pre-order information

In the mean time if you send an email to pre-order@squareconnect.com, we will let you know when the feature is available

Mat

So if I’m understanding this correctly I would need to buy 4 blasters, 1 for my component cabinet and 3 for each room with a tv ??

I don’t think this would be a cost effective solution for me.

How far are your tvs from the cabinets? You can run an external ir cable from the blaster to where your tvs are located. As for the separate rooms, you would need separate blasters if the rooms are far from each other. Or use some sort of IR extender.

• Garrett

What is the maximum distance for the IR emitter?

Ths

What kind of av cable do you have running from your TVs to your equipment cabinet? I have something in mid if you’re running Hdmi.

[quote=“PhilTMan, post:7, topic:170217”]What is the maximum distance for the IR emitter?

Ths[/quote]

We don’t have a specified maximum, although I know SQJohn installed a Gen 1 Blaster that had at least 30 feet of extension and it worked fine. The new gen 2 blasters switch 5V through a 12 ohm or 36 ohm resistor (internal jumper can be removed to increase the resistance) at the approriate carrier signal which is typically 36kHz to 40kHz or around 60kHz fro certain cable boxes. We support higher frequencies as well for some very odd pieces of equipment out there.

The remote ‘emitters’ are either standard red leds that stick on the face (they emit enough IR to drive equipment at that range without interfering with nearby devices, or we also have high current ‘blasters’ that are IR LEDS matched to the correct wavelength that can blast a cabinet.

Given that information, I would say some of the electronic engineers out on the board could probable work out what the maximum length is. I am assuming that the cable type would matter greatly.

M

I’m currently running all of my TV’s in the house back to my equipment room and therefore need to run IR solutions. You can use cat5 cabling to create these runs and some of them are well over 100ft and they work just fine.

You can also use IR over HDMI:

http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-InjectIR-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B0052YWM3W

and send IR commands from Cabinet back to each TV location to control On/Off and Volume. I had mine set up like this for a while, but ended up deciding that Harmony 890 Pro was better solution for me.

Same thing, but cheaper OEMs:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=B005IR3JNK&x=13&y=19

edit
Not sure if this is all 4 pieces though!

Dumb question … can IR be extended over Cat6??? I have double runs to every room :slight_smile:

Might have to get this.
Any speculation on pricing?
Tks

Sry…found it…199

If you have double runs of cat6 to rooms then these are good @ $25 and work great if you are also wanting to run HDMI:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=8201&seq=1&format=2

edit

Scrub the above as the IR repeating is the wrong way I think!

@strangely … thanks!!