Best irrigation controller for HA integration?

Yeah, I know, I hate these types of questions too… someone popping up and asking “what’s the best…”

Background, having a new sprinkler system put in next week, had no previous system there before. Everything is a blank slate.
I’ve started to read the forums on this, but based on the amount of info gleaned, still can’t make a determination of which way to go.

Needs: Not sure of how many zones we’ll have yet, but we have a small yard. I can’t see having more than 3 to 4 zones. I’m looking to pick a controller that can easily be integrated into an HA system (whether that is Vera or something else down the road remains to be seen) after the fact. So I’m not picky in terms of whether the controller uses Z-wave, Wifi, etc, as long as integration is possible via a plugin.

So what say you owners? Pros and cons of the choices you’ve made? All insights appreciated.

-TC

I spent a few days looking into all of he options that had plugins already, and went with Open sprinkler. Works great, easy to setup, and has a Windows Phone app (nice for my situation… has other platforms as well). The Virtual Rain plugin works great with it.

+1 for opensprinkler it works great for me

Thanks so far folks. Just searched on OpenSprinkler and it seems there’s a number of hardware models/types you can use for the software platform. Is there any particular ones that folks have had the greatest success, cost effective, etc, with?

I just got the complete unit already built. Easiest install ever. I did have to pull cat-5 to my garage 7 so you may want to think through yourWi-fi options.

I assume you’re talking about this model?
http://rayshobby.net/cart/os

There’s no network connection in the utility closet (I’m kicking myself for not thinking of that when the walls were open), so I’ll end up going the external Wifi module route if I go with OS.

Ordered a 2.1s (assembled) along with the 16 zone expansion board so I could control misting zones around my patios. Everything arrived pretty quick and the system works perfectly. Just keep in mind that the main controller only has 8 zones and if you have a master pump - that leaves you with 7 zones. If you have more than 7 zones then you have to keep the master pump on the main controller (can’t add the master pump to an expansion board).

I put everything (main and 16 zone expansion board) inside an Orbit controller box to keep things from getting caked with dust and crap (my garage gets dirty as I do a lot of wood working projects).

Also you’ll need a transformer, he sells one on his site or just go to Home Depot and pickup an Orbit transformer.

Great catch. I somehow missed this at first!

I’m interested in open sprinkler too but looks like it needs a 110v outlet to work. I have 24vac wires already going to the outdoor site where this would get installed. it looks like ether rain and irrigation caddy would both just hook right in but open sprinkler might need a modified power supply? can anyone point me in the right direction?

I have the open sprinkler and just installed it. It requires 24vac power. I didn’t have 24vac at the sprinkler box so I purchased the orbit transformer to convert 110vac to 24vac. If you already have 24vac at you box you’ll be fine.

I got the open sprinkler pi version… Love the flexibility the pi gives

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the feedback and good info folks. Just talked to my landscape contractor this morning, we’re going to have a discussion with the irrigation subcontractor regarding choice of controller (ie, throw something cheap in there just for immediate testing until I can get the OS controller delivered.

If I’d had known you needed a ‘stand in’, I’d sent you my builder installed controller (Orbit, 8 zones I believe) for free…

Appreciate the offer @CudaNet !

Bad news is that the sprinkler guy did some testing first and my water pressure is too low… something he hasn’t seen in a long time. We always knew it was low when we first bought the house 16 years ago, but never had a reason to lay out the $$$ to fix it. Now I have to find out from the city how much this is going to cost me… :frowning:

[quote=“TC1, post:15, topic:181871”]Appreciate the offer @CudaNet !

Bad news is that the sprinkler guy did some testing first and my water pressure is too low… something he hasn’t seen in a long time. We always knew it was low when we first bought the house 16 years ago, but never had a reason to lay out the $$$ to fix it. Now I have to find out from the city how much this is going to cost me… :([/quote]

:cry:

One small investment turns into a much larger one! I’m facing the same problem if I want to automate my HVAC stuff… the wiring is wrong and the cost to redo it all is not worth adding it to my HA stuff.

My city ordinance is obscene (and making me angry). There’s a paragraph like most cities that states "property owner is responsible for all plumbing from the curb clean out/valve to the property. Makes sense, seems fair.

They they added a clause to say that “owner is also responsible for connecting pipe from water main in the street to the curb.”

So what that means, i have to pay to tear up the street and repair. Last I heard, it’s >$600 to $1000, not sure of the actual cost since they haven’t called me back yet. Grrrr…

No problem and sorry to hear about the city playing reindeer games (what’s new right)… Have you looked at increasing pressure via a water pressure boost pump ?

No, never heard of that. I guess I’d have to get electrical somehow to the shutoff valve/water meter pit in my front yard?

Whoa… just did a quick google… these suckers ain’t cheap! Between that and the ongoing cost of electrical to run it, it might be cheaper long term to tear up the street.

[quote=“TC1, post:15, topic:181871”]Appreciate the offer @CudaNet !

Bad news is that the sprinkler guy did some testing first and my water pressure is too low… something he hasn’t seen in a long time. We always knew it was low when we first bought the house 16 years ago, but never had a reason to lay out the $$$ to fix it. Now I have to find out from the city how much this is going to cost me… :([/quote]

Not sure where you’re at, but would a well be an option? In FL that is pretty much all that the irrigation systems use, but we also have a lot of water under us.