Before sunset event not working?

I’m pretty new at this, and I’m trying to figure out how to set up a simple scene that will turn a light on before sunset and turn it off 4 hours later.

I have a scene that has, in the Commands tab, turn light ON then 4 hours later turn it OFF. In the timers tab, I have a single timer that is day-of-week based, all 7 days checked, that says Before sunset 30 minutes. What happens every evening is…nothing.

If I change the timer to be a specific time of day, the scene works exactly the way I’d expect it to.

Am I doing something wrong? Also, are there any logs that I can look at to see what the system thinks it’s doing? Thanks.

[quote=“rogerl, post:1, topic:168375”]I’m pretty new at this, and I’m trying to figure out how to set up a simple scene that will turn a light on before sunset and turn it off 4 hours later.

I have a scene that has, in the Commands tab, turn light ON then 4 hours later turn it OFF. In the timers tab, I have a single timer that is day-of-week based, all 7 days checked, that says Before sunset 30 minutes. What happens every evening is…nothing.

If I change the timer to be a specific time of day, the scene works exactly the way I’d expect it to.

Am I doing something wrong? Also, are there any logs that I can look at to see what the system thinks it’s doing? Thanks.[/quote]

@Rogerl

Myself i created 2 scenes, one for switching on (including sunrise options)
And another for switching off (including sunsetoptions.

This helped me to use the two scenes with any lights i want to associate.
But of course with some experience in luup coding it should be possible to get it into one scene…
This might help: [http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6613.0]

Any takers?

I actually saw that post, but assumed I didn’t need to to any lua coding.

I will try your suggestion of splitting up the actions into two scenes. But can anyone explain why what I coded does not work? It seems like a fairly simple set of instructions that is (or should be) clearly supported.

Thanks.

@rogerl,

Your setup is correct and should work as is without code.
Are you running .1245?

JOD.

I have found the built-in “before sunset” timer to be really flaky. It worked in UI2 before I moved to UI4 and .1245. And then, not.
I now use the DAD Luup coding and set it 17 minutes before sunset. That seems to work for me.

[quote=“rogerl, post:1, topic:168375”]I’m pretty new at this, and I’m trying to figure out how to set up a simple scene that will turn a light on before sunset and turn it off 4 hours later.

Am I doing something wrong? Also, are there any logs that I can look at to see what the system thinks it’s doing? Thanks.[/quote]

[quote=“JOD, post:4, topic:168375”]@rogerl,

Your setup is correct and should work as is without code.
Are you running .1245?

JOD.[/quote]

Yes, I just upgraded to .1245.

This morning I decided to try 6 hours before sunset, turning off after 1 minute. It just triggered, and worked properly (also, I got the sms notification that I had set up, which I wasn’t getting before either). So I just went back in and changed the timer to 30 minutes before instead of 6 hours before and I’ll see what happens tonight. Very odd; perhaps the .1245 upgrade fixed things, or perhaps I’m an idiot, or both.

[quote=“ballroller, post:5, topic:168375”]I have found the built-in “before sunset” timer to be really flaky. It worked in UI2 before I moved to UI4 and .1245. And then, not.
I now use the DAD Luup coding and set it 17 minutes before sunset. That seems to work for me.[/quote]

Where can I find documentation for the Luup coding - like primitives, syntax, and the like?

Here is the referring thread. I haven’t dug into the code, but maybe there is something there for you:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5466.0

I didn’t know you could get a notification for timed events… How did you set that up?

JOD.

I didn’t know you could get a notification for timed events… How did you set that up?

JOD.[/quote]

I second that info request 8)

JOD.[/quote]

I just added notifications for both on and off events in the light object. I naively assumed that should work :slight_smile:

So your notification reference is not related to the before sunset event?

It’s a different scene?

JOD.

[quote=“JOD, post:12, topic:168375”]So your notification reference is not related to the before sunset event?

It’s a different scene?

JOD.[/quote]

It’s not a scene at all. In the object in the MIOS UI that represents the light itself, there’s a notification tab. I created two notifications in that tab, one for light goes on, one for light goes off.

Make sense?

[quote=“rogerl, post:13, topic:168375”][quote=“JOD, post:12, topic:168375”]So your notification reference is not related to the before sunset event?

It’s a different scene?

JOD.[/quote]

It’s not a scene at all. In the object in the MIOS UI that represents the light itself, there’s a notification tab. I created two notifications in that tab, one for light goes on, one for light goes off.

Make sense?[/quote]

Makes sense to me…
And what did you use as sms/text notification provider if i may ask?

[quote=“Henk, post:14, topic:168375”][quote=“rogerl, post:13, topic:168375”][quote=“JOD, post:12, topic:168375”]So your notification reference is not related to the before sunset event?

It’s a different scene?

JOD.[/quote]

Make sense?[/quote]

Makes sense to me…
And what did you use as sms/text notification provider if i may ask?[/quote]
I have it set up to send me an email and also a text message on my Verizon phone.

[quote=“rogerl, post:13, topic:168375”][quote=“JOD, post:12, topic:168375”]So your notification reference is not related to the before sunset event?

It’s a different scene?

JOD.[/quote]

Make sense?[/quote]

It makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying…

JOD.

@Rogerl

Ok, since im in Europe that probably isnt going to work.
What i meant is… what code did you use for that?

Did you find it in the forums?
Like this?

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=1589.0

I’d like to set something similar up too, but havent found any code that i could use in Europe working with my provider or an online service

@Henk,
cp.mios.com → My Contact Info → ‘Send a text message to my mobile phone’

[quote=“oTi@, post:18, topic:168375”]@Henk,
cp.mios.com → My Contact Info → ‘Send a text message to my mobile phone’[/quote]

Curious you always pop-up after i have explored that option 10 seconds ago.
Since my region is “Other” ive set it up as requested (with the +countrycode)

Strange i didnt see that option before…
Must create a how to for it on the wiki!

Should work.

Must create a how to for it on the wiki!
Yup; please do! :)