Beacon troubles

Is anyone else having issues with beacons working. I have tried activating a scene or a light but they won’t activate. I have tried 2 brands of beacons, one being Estimote ibeacons. The estimote detects fine but won’t trigger. Please help

Hi Vas

As mentioned on email, sorry for the delay, I wanted to investigate this more before replying.

VeraMate uses the low power option of Apple’s API’s to trigger exiting/entering the iBeacon area, which after investigating, I have found is nowhere near as reliable as I thought it would be. This is what causes the apparent delay.

I wanted to avoid constantly polling, as that can deplete the iBeacon battery considerably. But based on this investigation, I will add configuration in 8.13 which will allow the user to choose how much polling it does. Again, I wanted to avoid this, but it looks like there’s no choice because of the way Apple use the low-power method.

Look for this in the 8.13 version.

I’m wondering if there is a bug around the beacon triggering - I have an iBeacon at home, and two scenes setup - one to be triggered when I’m in range of the beacon, the other when out of range. I only ever get the “leaving” scene triggering. Even when I arrive home and am presumably coming into range of the beacon it triggers the scene for me leaving.

Maybe things will get better with 8.13 - is there a timeframe in mind for it’s release?

[quote=“nuttysnake, post:3, topic:186589”]I’m wondering if there is a bug around the beacon triggering - I have an iBeacon at home, and two scenes setup - one to be triggered when I’m in range of the beacon, the other when out of range. I only ever get the “leaving” scene triggering. Even when I arrive home and am presumably coming into range of the beacon it triggers the scene for me leaving.

Maybe things will get better with 8.13 - is there a timeframe in mind for it’s release?[/quote]

Pre 8.13 this attempted to use low-cost triggering. Turns out this just isn’t reliable enough, so 8.13 changes to a polling mechanism when appropriate. Try it now and you should notice a marked improvement.

Have tried 8.13 - no joy. I’ve kind of given up on the geofencing and ibeacon stuff - neither seems to be reliable and I’ve tried a number of apps on the phone other than veramate - suspect the iphone 4s just isn’t up to the job. Am kind of on the point of giving up on the Vera Edge as well to be honest - it’s just full of bugs and doesn’t seem to do anything reliably.

Hi,

Is anyone using the I beacons from twocanoes. I just purchased the Bleu Beacon 100 and cant get veramate to recognize it even after inputting the uuid. I have tried other iphone programs and the beacon works perfectly. Thanks

I am having a lot of instability detecting estimote iBeacons with my iphone 6 and latest VeraMate version. Even though iPhone is 6 inches away from the iBeacon, I can see it changing state multiple time within a minute (near, far, absent, …)

I constantly need to go back to configuration to re-enable detection. It appears to have more problems to detect when I am getting away, it won’t detect that I am away from the iBeacon at lest 1 time out of 2. And even if I am away for more than 1 hour, it will never trigger the away scene that I created.

Can you please help or provide a viable solution? (debounce, hystherisis, …)?

[quote=“veramate, post:4, topic:186589”][quote=“nuttysnake, post:3, topic:186589”]I’m wondering if there is a bug around the beacon triggering - I have an iBeacon at home, and two scenes setup - one to be triggered when I’m in range of the beacon, the other when out of range. I only ever get the “leaving” scene triggering. Even when I arrive home and am presumably coming into range of the beacon it triggers the scene for me leaving.

Maybe things will get better with 8.13 - is there a timeframe in mind for it’s release?[/quote]

Pre 8.13 this attempted to use low-cost triggering. Turns out this just isn’t reliable enough, so 8.13 changes to a polling mechanism when appropriate. Try it now and you should notice a marked improvement.[/quote]