Automator 1.2 - Push Notifications!

Automator.app version 1.2 has just been approved. This release adds the ability to do push notifications using the Apple Push Notification Service (APNs). Push notifications are free to use.

Some information on the push notification API is available at http://push.automatorapp.com/. In the near future we will add more information about how to integrate the push notifications with your scenes and luup code; in the meantime tinkerers can begin playing with the API right away. Programmers: feel free to share your push notification tips in the forum for other users.

Note: a bug has been discovered today (many thanks to the reporter) that affects the 1.1 and 1.2 releases, including this one. If you are having a program crash immediately upon connection to the mios system please send an email to support [at] automatorapp.com. So far there has only been one report of the problem.

Automator 1.2.2 is out now (or within 24 hours).

This fixes a crash a few users have experienced, a problem with viewing cameras on the iPhone, and fixes an issue with push notification badge count not being reset when the app is launched on multitasking aware devices.

Hi there,

I am very interested in this app because it supports the ipad.

I already made a mistake by buying last year ivera in the hope ipad support was added as promised, but now almost 8 months later it still does not and it seems that they do not have any plans to do so quickly.
I was therefore very pleased to find this app which does support the ipad and controle vera but i do not want to make the same mistake twice, buying an app which i then do not use because it does not work properly or does not what i want it to do.

Before i want to buy i wish to test it first, so is there a lite or demo version (or an online simulator) available to test/try or can i maybe beta test and make the product better :slight_smile: (if this is even possible).

Re: push notifications

This is awesome news and a great idea. I have not yet installed the push plugin, but will soon.

Great work, great app!

I have the plugin running, and it displays push and badges fine.

Is there a way to have a log of notifications? Similar to prowl where you can review a list of notifications receeved?

[quote=“Intrepid, post:5, topic:168679”]I have the plugin running, and it displays push and badges fine.

Is there a way to have a log of notifications? Similar to prowl where you can review a list of notifications receeved?[/quote]

The next plugin update will show the last message sent and timestamp in the Automator device, but that is not a complete log. It will be available in Automator 1.3 (currently in review).

A true history would require a server backend and has lots of security and privacy implications. I have been hoping the new notification center coming in iOS 5 would be sufficient for seeing the history of notifications received. If not, and if there is demand, I can evaluate a backend history with some sort of opt in mechanism.