Automated lighting with manual control?

Fairly simple stuff… I have some outdoor lights which follow a motion sensor when it’s dark. Two groups - one for detecting motion at sunset (for turning the lights ON) and a second group to check for no motion after a few minutes (for turning the lights OFF). Works perfectly.

The problem I’m trying to solve though is that I also want to control the lights manually for a sustained period, on demand. I need a way to ignore the motion sensor when this is true.

I’m hoping there is a way to do this in the same Reactor logic but I haven’t been able to figure it out.

PS - I could probably do this with DelayLight but again, I’m hoping I can tackle the problem inside the same/existing Reactor sensor.

Any help appreciated.

The logic behind DelayLight is somewhat involved, but not so much so that the core of it can’t be handled. It will be a project, though.

1. If motion is sensed and no lights are on, trigger auto timing mode and turn on whatever lights need to be on.
  2. If a light is turned on when not timing, and no motion, start manual timing.
  3. If motion is sensed during timing, extend the timing if auto delay < time remaining.
  4. When timing expires, turn lights off.

I’m traveling at the moment, and not in a position to go much deeper, so I’ll leave this as an exercise for the reader.

Why not have a virtual switch control the light manually and use that same virtual switch as condition in your logic? Conditions will not trip unless virtual switch is off. (0).

This will probably only work if you use the vera interface or another to control the virtual switch manually vs the physical switch since if you trigger the virtual switch on/off via a physical switch button press it will break the automated routine since the automated routine will also trigger the virtual switch.

Yes, and this is how I have handled the problem in the past. As you’ve pointed out though, it’s all great until someone presses the physical switch.

hahah… well, I’m pleased to hear it could be done. I understand the logic but still working to apply it. A “project” indeed!

Now that I’m back home, I’m looking to do this in a video. Busy week ahead, though… not sure on timing.

I just watched your delayLight emulator video. Thanks heaps (loving the vids by the way - very helpful!).

I’m gonna give it a try for myself when I get some time this weekend. The way you are tracking the state of the switch was definitely the piece I was missing when trying to work out the logic myself.

Cheers.

1 Like