Arduino for wired digital inputs and digital outputs

I want to add a number of digital inputs to a zwave network, and the Arduino and Vera lite seem like this should be possible. I would also like to add relay outputs.

As far as i can see this should be doable, but with so much content and info its hard to pin down the specifics i need, in terms of how and the sketch examples.

Can anyone help point me the right way?

I have my whole house automated since 2006 ish on HS2 and X10, and am now starting a programme of upgrade and modernisation. My digital inputs are all from the light switches which are all wired back to node0 using low voltage cable and hooked up to an arduino-x10 interface i built years ago.

I now want to switch over to a hybrid z-wave, x10, vera and HS3 solution with heating TRVs etc, and can see how to do this with the exception of the vera/arduino link.

Thx in advance everyone.

Start reading this very forum!
and be sure to checkout mysensors.org
!

Thanks Gregl. What i see is lots of amazing wireless solutions and discussions, but my need here is simpler - just interfacing the arduino with vera and wired inputs and outputs.

So just a standard uno or mega, wired with many inputs (and a few outputs), connected to vera via USB.

Is that doable simply? I can do it with HS3, which is my fallback solution…

Thx in advance…

you likely could still use Hek’s code… just strip out all the radio bits and present you sensor data as per the gateway would.

With respect to connecting usb to vera…be aware that vera only has drivers for certain usb chips…hence why the Nano is used for this project. You may be ok with the other two arduino boards so long as they have a compatible chip ( i dont think they do)
…but if you need more ports then you could expand the ports via Arduino Playground - I2CPortExpander8574