Any experience with Linear Z-wave products?

Does anyone have experience with Linear’s Z-wave line? I’m buying a place with a Linear (M&S) intercom system, and when looking over their website saw that they offer Z-wave switches & modules:

LINK

They look a lot like the GE hardware. I’m wondering whether I need to start buying new Z-wave switches, or just remove all of the Monster/Leviton switches from my last place. The price of the Linear equipment is reasonable, at <$45 per switch.

Looking at the pictures, especially the dry contact module, I think they are actually using Evolve switches, that look just like GE/Jasco. (Edit: It is actually Evolve that is using Linear switches. See my post later in this thread.

Though I have no experience with Monster Z-Wave products, I do know that the Levitons are very good and very pricey. I’d be reluctant to abandon those, myself. But, if your concern is compatibility, all Z-Wave devices are compatible/ interoperable with each other(and this official line is mostly true).

I have no concerns about compatibility–just quality. Monster is just re-branded Leviton. They’re great quality. I don’t know about Linear, however.

I have no issue with the Evolve products. They are relatively inexpensive, when compared with Leviton, and they work well for me. I prefer their dimmers to the other less expensive switches as they require neutrals and work well with LEDs. That said, their quality is on par with GE/Jasco, but nowhere near Leviton. One possibly critical feature missing form Evolve/GE switches is Instant Status, which Leviton has.

Hm. Sounds like I’ll have to just remove the switches I have in the rental. They’re not networked now anyway.

For what the Monster/Leviton switches are worth I would definitely remove them! Even if you decided not to use them you could sell them easily.

You can get bulk packs of replacement switches for the price of one Leviton. I would definitely take your switches with you. Even more so that it is a rental.

• Garrett

I’d definitely hold on to the Leviton’s. They retain quite some value when used; support Z-Wave scenes and instant status; 5-year warranty.

A quick search yields this:
http://www.cepro.com/article/linear_brings_z-wave_to_ise_2013_acquires_assets_of_act/
Looks like they bought ACT’s assets in the zwave department.

Thanks oTi. Less concerned about the warranty, really… but I guess I didn’t realize how superior they are to other makes. They’re the only ones I’ve ever used, since switching from X10. :-X

I actually just bought a few of these switches. Tri-ed had a October special where they were $30 each so I just got one dimmer and one on/off. I have not got them installed yet but my first reaction when I pulled them out of the box was how well built they were compared to the insteon and ge switches that I am replacing. I can post some pictures if anybody is interested in seeing what they look like.

markg,

You a security tech too? Tri-ed is one of my main distributors. Good company generally.

I just bought a bunch of them from Automated Outlet to replace the CA600s that I could never get to work.

They’re not installed yet, but the sales rep from AO said that they’re essentially Evolve switches, but I think they’re missing the feature that relays the security protocol (not sure if I’m saying that correctly). He said Linear bought Evolve (maybe vice versa), and they’re rebranded Evolves?

Aw man! Wish I had known about this. I just bought a bunch from Automated Outlet for $40 :frowning:

[quote=“greenhighlighter, post:13, topic:176506”]I just bought a bunch of them from Automated Outlet to replace the CA600s that I could never get to work.

They’re not installed yet, but the sales rep from AO said that they’re essentially Evolve switches, but I think they’re missing the feature that relays the security protocol (not sure if I’m saying that correctly). He said Linear bought Evolve (maybe vice versa), and they’re rebranded Evolves?[/quote]
A few facts. Linear is the parent manufacturer/importer. Evolve gets their switches from Linear.

Both the Linear WD500Z-1 and Evolve LRM-AS dimmers are physically identical. Their firmwares also appear to be identical, though there may be slight variations depending on the version. They both support Beaming(is this the security protocol you were referring to?). They do NOT support Instant Status.

My opinion: Their styling and build quality appears to me to be the exact same as the GE/Jasco switches. The only exterior visible difference is that the Linear/Evolve uses a clear plastic for the air gap switch while the GE/Jasco air gap switch is the same color as the rest of the switch. Also, the Linear/Evolve LED is green while the GE/Jasco is blue. In the back, the Linear/Evolve uses a neutral wire that the GE/Jasco dimmer does not. The Linear/Evolve switch is now my preferred dimmer when Instant Status is not a requirement.

Hi guys. i am new to zwave. could any one give me some steps to solve my issue here.

I just bought a veralite controller and a linear WD500Z-1 dimmer sw. the thing is that when i include the sw to the controller, i can see the sw in the controllers interfase, but it is always red…and i got the following.

sending the z wvae command…
transmit failed with code 2…
device failed to configure…

i already tryed to: reset to factory…done
exclude the sw…can not do it

any comment to solve this issue will be helpfull.

Your error indicates that Vera is unable to communicate with the device. This is likely due to the device being outside of the Z-Wave networks radio coverage area. But, it could also be due to Vera having not yet determined a valid route to the device.

I would recommend trying a Heal (Setup → Z-Wave Settings → Repair → Go) to see if Vera and the Z-Wave network can figure out a way to reach the device. If this does not work then you will need to move Vera closer to the device or add intermediate Z-Wave nodes to expand your Z-Wave network’s coverage.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:15, topic:176506”][/quote]
A few facts. Linear is the parent manufacturer/importer. Evolve gets their switches from Linear.

Both the Linear WD500Z-1 and Evolve LRM-AS dimmers are physically identical. Their firmwares also appear to be identical, though there may be slight variations depending on the version. They both support Beaming(is this the security protocol you were referring to?). They do NOT support Instant Status.

My opinion: Their styling and build quality appears to me to be the exact same as the GE/Jasco switches. The only exterior visible difference is that the Linear/Evolve uses a clear plastic for the air gap switch while the GE/Jasco air gap switch is the same color as the rest of the switch. Also, the Linear/Evolve LED is green while the GE/Jasco is blue. In the back, the Linear/Evolve uses a neutral wire that the GE/Jasco dimmer does not. The Linear/Evolve switch is now my preferred dimmer when Instant Status is not a requirement.
[/quote]

Do you, or perhaps someone else, have any experience using Evolve Master dimmers with Linear Accessory Dimmers, or vice versa, or a mix between Evolve/Linear Accessory Dimmers and a master dimmer of either brand? I own some Evolve LRM-AS’s and would consider mixing and matching if possible. The Homeseer chart ( [url=http://store.homeseer.com/store/HomeSeer-Z-Wave-Dimming-Wall-Switch-Comparison-W16.aspx]http://store.homeseer.com/store/HomeSeer-Z-Wave-Dimming-Wall-Switch-Comparison-W16.aspx[/url]) indicates there is no compatibility across brands, but in light of what is discussed here, I thought maybe this would be possible. Thanks for any replies on this!

You can absolutely combine a Evolve LRM-AS 500-Watt Wall Mount Dimmer with a Linear WT00Z-1 Remote Accessory Switch.

Conversely, you can also pair a Linear WD500Z-1 500-Watt Wall Mount Dimmer with an Evolve LTM-5 Wall Mount Accessory Switch.

The Evolve LRM-AS is, for all intents and purposes, identical to the Linear WD500Z-1. Likewise, the Evolve LTM-5 is identical to the Linear WT00Z-1. They are all made by Linear.

Also the Evolve LTM-5 and the Linear WT00Z-1 are one button scene controllers so they can be used to control almost any Z-Wave light, dimmer, or receptacle regardless of brand.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:19, topic:176506”]You can absolutely combine a Evolve LRM-AS 500-Watt Wall Mount Dimmer with a Linear WT00Z-1 Remote Accessory Switch.

Conversely, you can also pair a Linear WD500Z-1 500-Watt Wall Mount Dimmer with an Evolve LTM-5 Wall Mount Accessory Switch.

The Evolve LRM-AS is, for all intents and purposes, identical to the Linear WD500Z-1. Likewise, the Evolve LTM-5 is identical to the Linear WT00Z-1. They are all made by Linear.

Also the Evolve LTM-5 and the Linear WT00Z-1 are one button scene controllers so they can be used to control almost any Z-Wave light, dimmer, or receptacle regardless of brand.[/quote]

Thank you. That seemed to make sense, but I was not sure. Easier to ask than to throw away a few bucks and the countless hours of frustration trying to do something that cannot be done!