An introduction and a question

This is pretty cool stuff.

I’ve got most of my devices in my Items file and have throw together a temporary site map so I can display them. I need to play around a little bit more with my lock and thermostats yet.

Definitively a bit of a learning curve with items and rules and mappings and such, but HA always seems to have one. Seems like the stock OpenHab UIs seem to leave something to be desired… (Looks like that’s one of the things possibly changing in OpenHab 2)

I don’t have a specific question - I really just wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work.

How is everybody thinking about integrating their Vera into OpenHab? I was thinking of moving all my “automation” into OpenHab and mainly just using the Vera as a Z-wave gateway. Not sure if I would leave my "scenes’ in my VeraLite and trigger them from OpenHab rules or just do it all in the rules.

Doug

I’m planning to moving all my automation to Openhab too and leave the Vera as a Z-Wave Gateway, and possibly as an emergency access to my Z-wave devices. ATM, I’m not sure to migrate my scenes to OpenHAB rules, I’m not enough aware of it and it seem to be tricky.

Guessed, your Binding work like a charm, thanks for your works !

[quote=“torpex77, post:1, topic:185650”]This is pretty cool stuff.

I don’t have a specific question - I really just wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work.[/quote]

Welcome to the Toy Box!

How is everybody thinking about integrating their Vera into OpenHab? I was thinking of moving all my "automation" into OpenHab and mainly just using the Vera as a Z-wave gateway. Not sure if I would leave my "scenes' in my VeraLite and trigger them from OpenHab rules or just do it all in the rules.

The MiOS Bridge Binding was built to let people mix-n-match their tech… esp for those that have outgrown the hardware that Vera runs on (size, stability, etc), but I think the most common scenario will be to keep her handling the Z-Wave functions (which is the case you describe, and how I’ll use it also).

The MiOS Z-Wave implementation is solid and Vera’s ability to extend an antenna beats just about any other device on the Market, especially the Z-Wave USB Dongles. IMHO it’s going to take some time before we see something as complete in that space, so I suspect it’ll be the most useful piece to retain.

As time permits, I’ll also build out openHAB Bindings for the other components of my system (Paradox, Brultech, etc) or pickup the implementations that are already around (Sonos) and/or being built by other community members (Nest).

That said, it does take some time getting used to OH 1.x, and I mostly configure it via it’s files, so it’s not for everyone. Hopefully ESH (and openHAB 2.x) will address those end-user usability issues, they certainly have a lot of people kicking the tyres at the moment.