Altsteon - USB Changing Ports

Hello Everyone -

I’ve been using Altsteon successfully for a few weeks now.

My only issue is that almost every night (I think at 2:00AM but can’t tell because the logs roll), my PLM USB port changes from USB1 to USB0 (or back the other way). This, of course, causes Altsteon to break and I have to kill the process, reconfigure the start-up, and restart.

Has anyone else seen this?

Do you have any other USB devices? I’ve never had this problem.

I don’t.

However, as an update, I physically changed to the other port and did a power cycle on the device. The problem hasn’t reoccurred.

This incident is making me a little nervous to go “all in” with Insteon switches throughout the house (at least with running Altsteon). This may force me in to an Isy controller if it keeps up.

Thanks for responding!

I’ve been keeping my eye on other controllers as well. Altsteon has been perfect for me so far, but I’m worried about future use given the lack of development for Altsteon.

The ISY seems like the right choice for the price.

FYI, there is the isy plug-in I developed to integrate with Vera. Allows you to have the best of both worlds.

• Garrett

I don’t see how this could be an altsteon issue, as altsteon has no way of controlling what USB device it’s using. (If you know how, I’d check dmesg to see if there’s anything there.)

Altsteon has been working well for me (a few months). I’m not too concerned about future use – at least for existing devices – as the source code is available.

What’s really interesting about altsteon is that it’ll run on just about any linux box. For example, if you’re out of usb ports on the vera, you should (for example) be able to connect the usb plm to a raspberry pi, and access the plm remotely – note that the vera’s altsteon setup requires you to the enter the altsteon daemon’s IP address. On the other hand, since there’s no security for either the vera or altsteon, they both need to be inside a secure network.

[quote=“JustSomeGuy, post:6, topic:180003”]I don’t see how this could be an altsteon issue, as altsteon has no way of controlling what USB device it’s using. (If you know how, I’d check dmesg to see if there’s anything there.)

Altsteon has been working well for me (a few months). I’m not too concerned about future use – at least for existing devices – as the source code is available.

What’s really interesting about altsteon is that it’ll run on just about any linux box. For example, if you’re out of usb ports on the vera, you should (for example) be able to connect the usb plm to a raspberry pi, and access the plm remotely – note that the vera’s altsteon setup requires you to the enter the altsteon daemon’s IP address. On the other hand, since there’s no security for either the vera or altsteon, they both need to be inside a secure network.[/quote]

I wasn’t trying to insinuate that it was Altsteon’s fault. In fact, I’m sure it isn’t. I just figured this would be a good place to ask. I have considered connection my PLM to an extra Pi I have sitting on the shelf if the USB ports on the Vera keep acting up. That’s a great idea.

I’ve seen the same thing happen–thought I was going nuts initially. I’ve decided to try z wave switches instead. I got some things working and had issues with others and just found it was so much easier to add z wave that I decided to hold off on insteon.