Altsteon Move To Raspberry

Hello Everyone -

Glad to see this plugin is still being used/maintained. In an effort to prepare to migrate to a new Vera (when they finally come out), I thought it would be a good idea to relocate Altsteon to a Raspberry Pi I had laying around. (Also frees up Vera resources!)

I’m happy to report that, thanks to the great documentation in this area, I was successful without many issues at all.

One thing that concerns me, however, is that if I reboot my Pi or simply restart the Alsteon daemon, Vera loses its connection to Altsteon (obviously) but doesn’t reconnect until a reload of Vera. This may end up being problematic due to possible network instability, etc.

Is there any way to get the plugin to try to reconnect on its own without sending a reload to Vera?

Depends on how the plugin is written. But supposing that it uses the built-in [tt]luup.io.open[/tt] and deals with incoming data using the tag in the implementation file, then NO, it’s not possible.

A fundamental failing of Vera’s implementation of asynchronous I/O. The work-around is somewhat involved, having to craft your own asynchronous handler using TCP sockets.