Alsteon Set Up on VeraPlus

I am waist deep in this project and not known to give up on this sort of stuff so I thought rather than post in the separate threads in this sub-topic I’d start an new one.

Here’s some of the information I’ve gathered thus far:

Alsteon 0.08 source code is here. This needs to be compiled for my controller which is a VeraPlus. PuTTY indicates it is f/w BARRIER BREAKER (Bleeding Edge, r39638) I think. So from what I understand the source code needs to be compiled to work on that f/w.

I have attached the initial splash page in PuTTY showing the f/w version and my feable attempt to run alsteon.

Alsteon Files for Vera are located here. I have already loaded these per the instructions provided in the forums. The alsteon_instructions.txt in there has more information but it is hard to read in notepad and needs to be loaded into Word for decent enough formatting to make it readable.

I have created the PLM Device using these files

I have read most of the first four threads here and have posed questions in each hoping to get information.

I believe I just need to get over the hump of compiling that alsteon souce code into an executable useable by Vera and it’ll work but I’m not sure if that is all I need to do. I at least need to get beyond the this part to test further. Vera UI7 cannot connect to the PLM because I don’t have something set up correctly.

I am wondering if maybe I need to change some permissions for alsteon?

When I click on Connections in the Device page for the PLM I a failure to serial connect error.

I have also started a separate thread here looking for alternate solutions.

TIA for any assistance you can lend in this matter.

The attachments show the following:

[ol][li]PuTTY Splash Screen showing the F/W version and my feable attempts to run alsteon
[/li]
[li]Created PLM Device[/li]
[li]Alsteon Permissions[/li]
[li]Failed Serial Connection[/li][/ol]

I do not have Alsteon running but I do have a PLM connecting to my garage door Insteon device. This is how I am setup in Vera.

I’ve been going back and forth playing around with the native support for Insteon and the Alsteon “hack”

Using native Insteon in Vera I am here right now.

I have been able to pair the Dimmer of the one Fanlinc I have powered up right now. This is a bench test of sort, just going off the LED’s on the Fanlinc but it isn’t connected to anything yet, I have my Voltage Meter handy but haven’t checked voltage at different dim/bright levels.

I have also paired the fan controller but it shows up as a Generic I/O Device and says “Unable to get any information on node…” It isn’t a Generic I/O but rather switch, I believe. It also had the altid set as e0000 and I changed it to the altid that the dimmer switch has which matches that on the back of the Fanlinc less the decimal points… XXXXXX as opposed to XX.XX.XX.

I am considering changing the xml and Json for this to be an appliance module but am not sure what the name of the correct xml or json file is.

I’m getting someplace I suppose…

Small update to what I have going on. I went back into HomeLink for Windows and changed the Fanlink to an X10 device labeled A 1. I then went back into Vera and added it as an X10 device with those same parameters. The Light dimmer seems to still be working but the output for the Fan showed up now as and Appliance Module / Binary Switch (not 4 speed switch). Even then though, turning that off or on does nothing. The Fanlinc does not respond to the command sent but Vera doesn’t show anything… no errors and no responses in any way. Is there something in the settings that needs to be changed? Maybe I don’t need Alsteon at all?

This is probably a case of the blind leading the blind but here are some more clues.

My garage door relay is using a binary light and I changed the category and subcategory to get a better looking icon.

Perhaps others have played with Fanlinc settings but my limited experience with a relay and sensor may not offer the clues you need.

For the garage door, I’m using a Fortrezz relay and a monoprice tilt sensor with the garage door plugin from the app store. Mine shows as a binary light, a door sensor and a door lock. How did you change it to be a garage door icon?

I dont’ have anything checked like you do, especially the embedded box. Did you do that or is that the way it was when adding the device?

I changed the device subcategory: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Device_Categories

That was how everything was added.

[quote=“Don Phillips, post:7, topic:196637”]I changed the device subcategory: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Device_Categories

That was how everything was added.[/quote]

I did that but it is still showing as a door lock. No biggie, I have bigger fish to fry!