Alerts without notifications?

I enabled notifications for Vera alerts a while back to experiment and now I want to revert. I have unchecked “Device Notifications sent via Vera Alerts (In addition to MCV).” and removed the Vera Alerts ID from my username on the Additional Configuration tab. Still, when I have a TTS alert sent which also has a MIOS notification I get a collision of both the TTS and notification on my Android device. Then I get 3-6 emails instead of one.

So for example, when my son enters his PIN to open the door I only want him to hear his greeting. Instead he hears something like “PIN code entered, PIN code entered four, PIN code enter… Welcome ho…”
It got to the point this evening where he asked me to stop playing with the home automation because it was causing me too much stress. This is funny because he’s still pretty young.

Someone please tell me there’s something obvious I’m missing.

You must to the Additional Configuration in Vera Alerts.

Note:You can also override the default messages that are delivered in the additional configuration tab.

Sorry, I must be missing something. I have some MIOS notifications for my door lock set up through the lock interface. I still want to receive these emails. The issue is that I also want different TTS messages from Vera Alerts to happen for the same occurrence. For example, I have set up the lock to notify me when my daughter unlocks the door. I also want Vera Alerts to say something to her like “Welcome home”. The result is that I get two or three emails and Vera Alerts says “PIN code number, PIN code number three, welcome home”. I don’t want to change the default message on the additional configuration tab because I want Vera alerts to say different things depending on various conditions. For example, there is a different greeting for day and night. I just factory reset Vera so I haven’t set up email notifications in Vera alerts or anything like that. As I recall it didn’t do this before.

I think you can do this by setting up a Scene to translate a Trigger into specific Vera Alerts.
(Indeed, this is how I end up with dozens of “Scenes” that are nothing more than logical associations.)

First, delete all the Notifications in the Lock->Notifications tab. Don’t need any.

Create a new Scene (entry announcement) for each of the Lock conditions you want to announce.
Use the lock state as a trigger and name it anything.

Then, under Advanced, you can add multiple instances of Vera Alerts, each with a different recipient and custom text message.
If you want email, you can either use Vera Alert, or turn on the Notification for the Scene (Trigger).

Basically, do all of it through a Scene rather than the device itself. Let me know if I misunderstood.

Yeah. I hear you. The issue is that I wan tot use MIOS email notifications for the time being. I’m having a bear of a time figuring out the whole SMTP business here. Port forwarding, passwords SMTP addresses. My ISP seems to be pretty confused about what I should use and I am even more confused.

For this discussion I will assume your user on cp.mios.com is User.
Create a dummy user on cp.mios.com for your Vera. Call it something like Android.
Do not assign any MCV text or email notification for this account.
Then on your Vera; for your notifications you can specify User or Andoid or both.
Make sure you do Not setup a default recipient for Vera Alerts.
Turn ON Device Notifications for Vera Alerts.
In the Additional Configuration, specify your Vera Alerts ID for the Android user.

Now notifications sent to User will use the mios email and those sent to Android will go to the phone. The message override will only apply to Vera Alerts messages.

My ISP seems to be pretty confused about what I should use and I am even more confused.
Who is your ISP ? Do they have a document on how to connect typical mail programs ?

So far so good. How would I go about removing the existing default recipient?

MY ISP is Comcast business. They tell me one SMTP address and port and then another works. Recently I haven’t been able to get either up and running, but I haven’t tried with Vera Alerts. I guess I’ll give it a go this weekend after I get the regular notifications working again.

Thanks for the help.

I hope you had or are having a pleasant holiday time.

After creating the additional pseudo users you have to edit all of your existing notifications (As triggers of scenes and/or notifications on devices) and specify which user and/or pseudo user the particular notification should be sent to.

How does one go about creating a dummy or pseudo user?

Goto cp.mios.com
Add a new user to your account.
Do not add any email or sms for the user.
You will now have an additional user account to direct Vera Notifications too.

With UI 5 going to cp.mios on my LAN takes me to the dashboard. The interface there demands email addresses and so forth. Maybe the ability to do this ended with UI5?

You might be right. Each PseudoUser had to have an email verification by MCV. I had to make a dummy email address for each to confirm and activate it.

If you’re willing to try a little Luup, it’s so much easier than a long list of MCV Notifications/Users/IDs. You just write a function for each group of recipients and then call that from your trigger, scene, or wherever. I’m really happy with this approach, and don’t have to create MCV entries for each android device. It’s much easier to add/remove single devices from all messages as well.

Something like:

gl_MYID1 = "9sdfa9yysdf7" -- 12 character Vera Alerts ID
gl_MYID2 = "2bxcioyywdf7" -- 12 character Vera Alerts ID
gl_voice = gl_MYID1 .. " " .. gl_MYID2
gl_vid = 47 -- Vera Alerts Device ID

function gl_alert (msg)
  luup.call_action('urn:richardgreen:serviceId:VeraAlert1', 'SendAlert', {Recipients=gl_voice, Message="{tone:tts}" .. msg}, gl_vid)
end

then you can just call

gl_alert "Door left open"

or whatever. It’s been totally reliable and nearly instant.

Actually, I created the additional user and it worked. They will send you an email to confirm, and as long as you do not click on the confirmation no emails will be sent. Then if you enable notifications to that new user, Veraalerts will send the notifications but no emails.

Wait, wait, wait… What?

Could you please explain how you did this. I have lost several hours of my precious life trying to get that to work to no avail.

Now I’m cruising with fake email addresses sent to MCV. 8)

[quote=“S-F, post:15, topic:173705”]Wait, wait, wait… What?

Could you please explain how you did this. I have lost several hours of my precious life trying to get that to work to no avail.

Now I’m cruising with fake email addresses sent to MCV. 8)[/quote]

All I did was add the user in UI5. Went into each device that I had set up a notification for and changed it from the old user to the newly added one. And, it worked! Later that evening I saw an email from MCV asking me to verify the email for the new user by clicking on a link. I figured, since it works as is, why click on the link? So, I did not.

Basically my user has not had its email address verified by MCV, but it works. I also my veraalertsID is only entered under the “Settings” tab, nothing on the “Additional Configuration” Tab for ID’s.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Oh, OK. That’s what I’m doing. I just have never gotten an email from MCV about it.

Is it possible to make scenes like this in UI7? I can’t seem to select VA as an output event.

You need to use the Advanced Tab of a Scene.
Then add the VA device … then the Action is SendAlert.

There are LOTS of actions for various devices that are ONLY available in the Advanced tab.