Alarm integration with Vera and NOT having to subscribe?

I have the Vera3 with several door/window switches, light switches, etc… This is awesome and works very well. I knowh it’s not classified as a true security system, however, I would still like to implement it as such…

A while back I purchased a Honeywell security system with Touch Pad (and additional wireless sensors) only to find out that if I wanted to integrate my existing Z-wave network into the Honeywell security system, I would then have to surrender control of my zwave network to the Honeywell security system and subscribe to ‘totalconnect’ to use it (remotely with smartphone).

This completely defeats the reason I invested in the Vera3 / Z-wave system in the first pace. I purchased the Vera3 and Z-wave components to avoid the monthly subscription fees, so I returned the alarm system.

Is there a security system that will work WITH my vera3/z-wave network…that does not interfere with the existing functionality and control, and does NOT require external monitoring and subscription fees?

What I believe I want, is a security type keypad (not simple scene controller with single button arm / disarm ) to arm the system when away, and require a [numeric] code to disarm the system when returning home.

Do the Elk or DSC systems hijack the z-wave system like Honeywell wants to do?

DSC definitely does not require monitoring (but you can if you like). Caddx is the same. I cannot speak for the Elk systems; perhaps someone else can chime in.

Most the Honeywell / Ademco vista panels will work with vera using the ad2usb module, not sure which one you got though. have a look here for the different supported alarm panels. if you did go with a ademco panel the wireless sensor you already bought may work with it.

Steve, My problem with Honeywell/Ademco (as stated in my original post) is they require a paid subscription to remotely access the z-wave network - this is the very thing I am working to avoid and is why I invested in the z-wave system I have. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I will check into the DSC - first glance after your response I went to their web site and see that they have wireless LDC Touch screens - SWEET!!

Do your homework!
Not all of the DCS hardware is compatible with Vera!

will do, thanks for the advice.

Why do you want to use the ademco zwave when you have a vera? I have my ademco 15p hooked up to my vera using the ad2usb serial inerface and do not pay a monthly subscription

I had ordered a Honeywell system from homesecuritystore and tried to integrate it with my vera / z-wave network - this way I could have a regular alarm panel that required an access code to disarm it, and I could use all the existing z-wave window/door switch components for reporting to the alarm panel. I also wanted to create time based scenes to trigger when the alarm system would be disabled (say at night vs during daylight)

I was informed by homesecuritystore technical support that I HAD to use the subscription service to remotely access my z-wave components once they were integrated into the new security system and that I had to release them from vera and assign them to the Honeywell panel, so I returned the honeywell system. For this reason, I am gun shy with security systems integrating with my z-wave network.

Okay now I see where your problem was. Using your existing zwave sensors with any alarm system is going to be a problem, usually what is done is the alarm system with its own wired and or wireless sensors are used, then when integrated into vera they will show up like regular zwave sensors and can be used for triggering scenes and such. you are better off doing it like this in the long run as wireless sensors for alarm systems like the ademco for example are cheaper, more reliable and have better battery life.

I’d also like to get an alarm panel but use the several door & motion sensors from Schlage with it… I thought there were Zwave compatible alarm panels that could do this?

Consider DSC 1832…I use it as my security panel for wireless door, window, smoke, motions, and water flood sensors. Most are wireless sensors but one is wired (feebie). I highly recommend their touch screen keypad as it is super easy to use…no codes need to use the system. I use a DSC IT-100 to connect the DSC security system to my vera system. Vera has zwave lights, thermostat, appliance modules, outlets, energy devices. The DSC 1832 allows me to specify my cell number so it calls me in event of an alarm. Vera allows me to receive emails and SMS txt messages when an alarm goes off or any other zwave event ( I.e. security system enabled/disabled, temperature increased/decreased, motion in room etc…lets me know what wife is doing :wink: ). I have full control from my cell phone for both security system and vera system from within a single app. Best part…no recurring monitoring fees.
DSC system and Vera have been working together seemlessly with no problems or down time for two years! Kudo to both DSC and Micasaverde!

/Z/

[quote=“imazman, post:11, topic:176805”]Consider DSC 1832…I use it as my security panel for wireless door, window, smoke, motions, and water flood sensors. Most are wireless sensors but one is wired (feebie). I highly recommend their touch screen keypad as it is super easy to use…no codes need to use the system. I use a DSC IT-100 to connect the DSC security system to my vera system. Vera has zwave lights, thermostat, appliance modules, outlets, energy devices. The DSC 1832 allows me to specify my cell number so it calls me in event of an alarm. Vera allows me to receive emails and SMS txt messages when an alarm goes off or any other zwave event ( I.e. security system enabled/disabled, temperature increased/decreased, motion in room etc…lets me know what wife is doing :wink: ). I have full control from my cell phone for both security system and vera system from within a single app. Best part…no recurring monitoring fees.
DSC system and Vera have been working together seemlessly with no problems or down time for two years! Kudo to both DSC and Micasaverde!

/Z/[/quote]

Please clarify a few things…

Will the DSC 1832 allow you to use Zwave Motion Sensors & Door Sensors connected to the Vera? Or do you need to use sensors made to work with the DSC?
It looks like the DSC IT-100 requires a serial to USB converter, hard wire connection to the Vera?
The DSC dials using a POTS line, yes? I’ve heard of some people buying a pre-paid SIM and using a mobile/cell module… have you looked into this?

[quote=“Aaron, post:12, topic:176805”]Please clarify a few things…

Will the DSC 1832 allow you to use Zwave Motion Sensors & Door Sensors connected to the Vera? Or do you need to use sensors made to work with the DSC?
It looks like the DSC IT-100 requires a serial to USB converter, hard wire connection to the Vera?
The DSC dials using a POTS line, yes? I’ve heard of some people buying a pre-paid SIM and using a mobile/cell module… have you looked into this?[/quote]
Vera uses Z-wave protocol to communicate with z-wave based devices and this is totally separate DSC wireless sensors. They can both co-exist on your system and be used to trigger and report actions. This is significant difference between the two type of devices:

Simple comparison:
Z-wave wireless 30 m (100 ft) max 3 hops (therefore 90m or 300 ft)
Wireless Alarm 300m + (1000 ft or more)
Z-wave Battery life 1 year
Wireless Alarm battery life 3-5 years.

You should have a read here DSC Alarm Panel which will address some of your question and provide a comparrison between the IT100 and EVL3 modules. As for alarm communicator, this is best researched on an alarm forum that should provide more up to date product information.

[quote=“Brientim, post:13, topic:176805”][quote=“Aaron, post:12, topic:176805”]Please clarify a few things…

The DSC dials using a POTS line, yes? I’ve heard of some people buying a pre-paid SIM and using a mobile/cell module… have you looked into this?[/quote]
Vera uses Z-wave protocol to communicate with z-wave based devices and this is totally separate DSC wireless sensors. They can both co-exist on your system and be used to trigger and report actions. This is significant difference between the two type of devices:

Simple comparison:
Z-wave wireless 30 m (100 ft) max 3 hops (therefore 90m or 300 ft)
Wireless Alarm 300m + (1000 ft or more)
Z-wave Battery life 1 year
Wireless Alarm battery life 3-5 years.

You should have a read here DSC Alarm Panel which will address some of your question and provide a comparrison between the IT100 and EVL3 modules. As for alarm communicator, this is best researched on an alarm forum that should provide more up to date product information.[/quote]

I read here that DSC motion sensors have a 6 second delay & 3 minute time-out period… a 6 second delay is a problem if you actually want to know when the motion happened. Is this still the case? My Schlage Zwave motion sensors are instant.

Yes, but only for wireless motion, or door/windows and not wired. This is designed to stop false reporting and if you have the 9045/9047 which uses the same wireless sensors you already experience this. It is not a problem for alarm reporting and is really accepted practices. Most alarm system encompasses some form of delayed reporting and very rarely are you worried by the exact second.

Home Automation, you can walk a long way in 6 seconds. That is the key difference.

However, since I moved into my new house, that is currently all I have at the moment. The high traffic shutdown is designed to extend battery life and in my case, I have used ZWave sensor covering the main areas where time is critical. Stairwell is the main one in my house.

I cannot comment on the ZWave sensor as I live in another part if the world. They have their place but nowhere near as reliable as alarm albeit wireless or wired.

[quote=“Brientim, post:15, topic:176805”]Yes, but only for wireless motion, or door/windows and not wired. This is designed to stop false reporting and if you have the 9045/9047 which uses the same wireless sensors you already experience this. It is not a problem for alarm reporting and is really accepted practices. Most alarm system encompasses some form of delayed reporting and very rarely are you worried by the exact second.

Home Automation, you can walk a long way in 6 seconds. That is the key difference.

However, since I moved into my new house, that is currently all I have at the moment. The high traffic shutdown is designed to extend battery life and in my case, I have used ZWave sensor covering the main areas where time is critical. Stairwell is the main one in my house.

I cannot comment on the ZWave sensor as I live in another part if the world. They have their place but nowhere near as reliable as alarm albeit wireless or wired.[/quote]

My Zwave sensors have been rock solid. I don’t have any wired sensors, and would not as it would be too much work so the high-traffic delay is a problem for me.

Your change then is simplified, do not fix if it ain’t broke. If what your are using is fit for purpose and working, there should be no drive to change it now.

I don’t really want to ‘change’ the sensors… I’m exploring my options.

I want to integrate a security keypad panel into Vera in order to add the ability to treat the existing Zwave devices like a security system - with a keypad for security codes to turn the system to Away/Stay/etc. I’ll post in the DSC forum.

I want to integrate a security keypad panel into Vera in order to add the ability to treat the existing Zwave devices like a security system - with a keypad for security codes to turn the system to Away/Stay/etc. I’ll post in the DSC forum.[/quote]
I did read your earlier post but is a totally different scenario to the way I read it. You could use an alarm and use the state change as a triggered for your Vera state Away/Stay etc.

You are not using ZWave sensor with your alarm but rather the alarm is just the basis for setting the scene for your Vera.

The only other one worth investigating maybe the elk gold. But a lot more expensive but can integrate with Vera, it also has a z-wave interface module which if used makes Vera redundant.

I

I want to integrate a security keypad panel into Vera in order to add the ability to treat the existing Zwave devices like a security system - with a keypad for security codes to turn the system to Away/Stay/etc. I’ll post in the DSC forum.[/quote]
I did read your earlier post but is a totally different scenario to the way I read it. You could use an alarm and use the state change as a triggered for your Vera state Away/Stay etc.

You are not using ZWave sensor with your alarm but rather the alarm is just the basis for setting the scene for your Vera.

The only other one worth investigating maybe the elk gold. But a lot more expensive but can integrate with Vera, it also has a z-wave interface module which if used makes Vera redundant.

I[/quote]

Yeah, I’m thinking that instead of sinking a ton of $ into a full security system (since I’m not going to have it monitored), all I really need is an alarm keypad that Vera can link into.