Aeotec Dry Contact Sensor

Recently I bought an Aeotec Dry Contact Sensor Gen5 (Model ZW097-A) and needed to use it with a device which is normally open. (I.E. connecting the two terminals together should send an “On” signal and disconnecting them should send an “Off” signal. I found that the device had the opposite behavior. Checking the Advanced Configuration guide, I found two parameters 1 and 3 which could each be set to 0 or 1 to change this behavior for Sensor Binary Report and Basic Set messages respectively.

Unfortunately, neither of these parameters worked. The device still only worked as “Normally closed” rather than “Normally open.”

I then scanned all of the configuration parameters and I found a few undocumented parameters which are neither included here nor here.

Parameter 4, size 1, default value 0
Parameter 253, size 4, default value 0x0E310F5A

I still have no idea what parameter 253 does but switching parameter 4 to 1 did finally have the effect that I was looking for to make this a “Normally open” sensor.

This is not the first time that I’ve found glaring problems with the Aeotec documentation. Please see my old post regarding the Aeotec siren.

I hope that this bit of wisdom helps someone out there.

Gengen