aeon labs energy meter G2

i have a two way meter on my property and feed in unused power from my solar panels to the grid. can someone confirm if and how this meter would work in light of this? i.e. will it simply show a negative number when I have power flowing the other way?

I have installed these on a customers site and generally works okay. Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3 are updating as expected in the Vera but the primary node does not (i.e. the Watts have been the same for 2 weeks). The root cause of this is because I have some weak z-wave links between the Vera and energy meter as shown by the polls don’t work and I get the ‘Unable to get any information on node’. I am wondering whether there are any tricks I can do to make the primary node to start updating correctly? Going on site is a bit of an issue as it is 150KM away

Hi all,

I am just starting to going through this hassle with my new Home Energy Monitor G2.

I have switched device_file for D_PowerMeter1.xml (which automatically changes device_type to urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:PowerMeter:1 on the next re-start.

I have a single clamp version for single phase supply, for EU.

Can anyone provide other parameter settings for a single clamp EU version?

Cheers!

How do you reset the KWH reading? I’m about to take my meter reading to send into the utility company and would like to reset right after.

Thx

Edit: found the answer at http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=10753.0 I should’ve searched first.

3 people have been asking if they can use a 3 clamp HEM G2 to measure 3 different power sources like lamps etc and also 3 different live lines. It does not work like that. I have a 3 phase HEM and tried to use it as a 1 phase meter in the UK (230V) single phase. I was getting incorrect readings from my meter when using one of clamps in the fuse box that has the live wire going in to the house.

I asked Aeon about using the 3 phase meter as a 1 phase meter and this is the response i got.

Hi evoke,

I believe you have bought the wrong product, if you are trying to install a 1 phase device, you will need to look for the HEM G2 1 phase.

The current HEM G2 you have is a 3 phase 4 wire which you should be able to confirm on the back of the HEM G2 you currently have.

Having the wrong version will give you wrong readings on the total kwh readings as there are different calculations.

The kwh, watt, voltage, and amp are all read from the clamps and calculated in the HEM.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
Chris

Message Body:
Hello Aeotec,
I bought a Z-Wave Home Energy Meter Edition 2 with 3 phase from you. I wanted to use it in single phase mode in the EU. I looked at the instruction manuals on how to do that.
In the diagram in the manual for using the meter in 1 phase it looks like the lead 1 is used to power the meter. From messing around i found out that lead 3 is used to power the meter. Was this the correct lead? If i use lead 3 does that mean i have to use clamp 3 as well to get a proper reading in 1 phase? or do i use clamp 1 for 1 phase?
Are KwH,watt ,amps and voltage all read from the clamps or is amps and voltage read from the extra leads that are not clamps? Like the power supply lead which only has 2 wires.
Regards
evoke

[quote=“martynwendon, post:32, topic:175363”]How are you guys physically connecting your meters?

I’ve just received one of these in the UK (single phase 240V), I ordered the 3 clamp version and was expecting the battery powered one with just the clamps on, so I could monitor 3 separate loads. In my house I have the main electricity feed split between house and workshop, I currently use a currentcost to monitor the total, house and workshop separately. I was hoping to replace the currentcost with the Aeon.

This GEN2 version has 3 clamps and 3 bare 2-core flex on it, and seems to actually be aimed at a 3 phase installation. Anybody know if / how I can make it work in my situation?

Thanks,

Martyn[/quote]

[quote=“rascadecanya, post:37, topic:175363”]Hi
excuse me for my english :o

I have the 2 clamps european edition of this meter. I live in Spain (1wire+neutral). Standard voltage at 230v.
My power meter works perfectly… at half load.

If I put for example a 150w lamp, it detects only 75. Put the 40w lamps, detects only 20. etc.
I think the power meter is prepared to install with 2 clamps in the main line. In the instruction’s picture explain how put this, but don’t work me. I think the only solution is can change the main voltage (I supose 240v) to 380v, which is the main voltage between phases. But I can’t discover how to change this (parameter 1 is not operative yet).
I think all the problems in this forum is for that… If somebody discover how to change, please comment how do it. pleeeeeeease…[/quote]

[quote=“yannicks, post:39, topic:175363”]Hello,

I have a Home Energy Meter G2 (2nd edition, version info : 3,3,67,1,5) with 3 clamps at home.

I live in France (230V), I have 1 phase power incoming only and I want to measure distincly the electric consumption on 3 separate phases to see the consumption of 3 different devices (for example : lamp, oven, boiler).
HEM is well recognized by Vera Lite and I see 3 different electric consumptions in Vera coming from 3 different devices. But the value is incorrect : I notice that the measured value is around 5 times lower than real value…

Do you have an explanation ? May be there are some specific parameters relative to my configuration to define ? (230V, 1 phase incoming, 3 different devices to be monitored by the 3 clamps)

Please help because I am lost ![/quote]

can you buy a 3rd clamp? I have the 2 clamp version, but it has a spot for a 3rd. I’d love to get another clamp… is that possible?

I have two Aeon HEM Gen2 units; one for my solar, and one for the grid. My problem is that these units only report positive numbers (in Watts). There are times when I feed power into the grid, and times when I pull power from the grid. Discerning this from the solar Aeon HEM Gen2 (positive output only) and the grid Aeon HEM Gen2 (which can be positive or negative) is probably not a very sound approach. I was hoping the Aeon HEM Gen2 units would report positive and negative numbers, but no…

OK, what to do? I can leave the solar HEM alone (supplying power only), move the grid HEM over to the HOUSE power (drawing power only), and purchase a THIRD unit that can read both positive and negative flow for the grid. Any suggestions on a reliable Zwave unit that can do this?

Hi, I’am struggling with Aeon HEM G2 (3Phase-4Wire EU version). Watts seems to be correct, but kWh reading is about three times bigger than “real” consumption. Any ideas what could be wrong?

I’ve tried every possible combinations to parameter 101 - 103, but nothing is working. Clamps 1 - 3 are reporting fine watts, but kWh reading is about three times bigger (C1+C2+C3 = HEM total kWh). I am getting bit frustrated with this piece… :frowning:

I’m not sure if this will help you; I suspect you want to match your HEM reading with your energy meter read by the power company.

I found that resetting the KWH daily helped make sense of the numbers. I don’t really trust the algorithm used by the HEM to calculate KWHrs (my reading leads me to think it does some assumptions); I do trust the watts however since I can measure the watts at my solar panels, and it matches up nicely with the HEM readings.

At any rate, here is the LUUP to zero out the KWHrs every day. I run this scene every night (change the device ID, and you will have THREE not TWO devices):

local meterID = 570
local kwh = luup.variable_get(“urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1”, “KWH”, meterID)

luup.call_action(“urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1”, “ResetKWH”, {}, meterID)

local meterID = 573
local kwh = luup.variable_get(“urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1”, “KWH”, meterID)

luup.call_action(“urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1”, “ResetKWH”, {}, meterID)

Thanks hmspain for advice, but this is not exactly what I am looking for. If I reset kWh counter once in a minute, I will get accurate readings (0 kWh) :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I think something is wrong somewhere, I am not buying that this device cannot do better accuracy than 300% error. kWh readings are really about three times bigger than real consumption.

Real daily: 72 kWh
HEM: 214 kWh

Watts seems to be correct (for clamps 1-3 and total HEM), for example total HEM wattage is between 1-2 kW for an hour (logging It in datamine) and total kWh reading for that same hour is between 4 - 6 kWh.

Well, I have sent support request to AEON Labs. We’ll see if they figure out something that I didn’t

[quote=“harkonen, post:50, topic:175363”]Thanks hmspain for advice, but this is not exactly what I am looking for. If I reset kWh counter once in a minute, I will get accurate readings (0 kWh) :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I think something is wrong somewhere, I am not buying that this device cannot do better accuracy than 300% error. kWh readings are really about three times bigger than real consumption.

Real daily: 72 kWh
HEM: 214 kWh

Watts seems to be correct (for clamps 1-3 and total HEM), for example total HEM wattage is between 1-2 kW for an hour (logging It in datamine) and total kWh reading for that same hour is between 4 - 6 kWh.

Well, I have sent support request to AEON Labs. We’ll see if they figure out something that I didn’t[/quote]

It’s frustrating, but you can just ignore the KWHr number; I suspect it’s a rough calculation anyway, and calculate your own number.

If you have the Wattage (dataMine is an excellent add-on) by hour, you just total things up, and should come to a respectable number.

Now I have some info from AEON Labs. This error in kWh metering is known issue with firmware 1.7 and it cannot be fixed, firmware is not upgradable. Only fix is to buy a now version of HEM… How to make sure if new version is 1.7 or 1.8? Nobody knows… ???

Below reply from AEON Labs tech support:
Unfortunately, this happens to be an issue with V1.7 in the HEM G2 3 phase 4 wire. This is apparently fixed in V1.8 firmware of this HEM.

Now I feel bit disappointed… >:(

[quote=“harkonen, post:52, topic:175363”]Now I have some info from AEON Labs. This error in kWh metering is known issue with firmware 1.7 and it cannot be fixed, firmware is not upgradable. Only fix is to buy a now version of HEM… How to make sure if new version is 1.7 or 1.8? Nobody knows… ???

Unfortunately, this happens to be an issue with V1.7 in the HEM G2 3 phase 4 wire. This is apparently fixed in V1.8 firmware of this HEM.

Now I feel bit disappointed… >:([/quote]

The right answer would be to return the defective unit to AEON for a refund/replacement! They should have offered…

[quote=“hmspain, post:53, topic:175363”][quote=“harkonen, post:52, topic:175363”]Now I have some info from AEON Labs. This error in kWh metering is known issue with firmware 1.7 and it cannot be fixed, firmware is not upgradable. Only fix is to buy a now version of HEM… How to make sure if new version is 1.7 or 1.8? Nobody knows… ???

The right answer would be to return the defective unit to AEON for a refund/replacement! They should have offered…[/quote]

They adviced me to contact vesternet where I bought my apparatus… Let’s see what they answer to my reklamation. In all cases I have to pay my electrician to remove failing device, postal fees to UK and installing replacement device. That all will cost me more than twice as much as HEM itself.

So I will feel bit f**ked anyhow. >:(

I have both a HEM g1 and HEM g2 version connected with a VeraLite running v 1.7.541 firmware. Has anyone figured out the trick to getting the device parameters changed in this new UI? When I try to change either Device Options the, Save Changes I get every data field showing up with a red “Please type a number in range 0-255.” error message and nothing happens. This shows up even on 4 digit fields like 101-103, so how do I enter a parameter larger than 255?

Edit: I found this thread with the answer to that item:

I have the main watts and KWH updating on report 1 (101) but I have not been able to get any of the single phase readings to update, those are currently on report 3 (103).

@harkonen I have exact same issue with HEM G2 (3 clamps). Real wattage is very accurate but total kWh is 2-3 times higher than what is should be. I am not sure how to check firmware version. Have you managed to solve this issue?

You can check firmware version from settings → advanced → versioninfo. My version is 3,3,67,1,7 where last two digits seems to be firmware version.

Problem is still present. Vesternet agreed to pay postal fees for sending this unit back, but nobody is willing to pay electrician to remove and install new device which will cost me 150?. If AEON or vesternet are willing to send me a new version and electrian can remove and install device at same time, I can live with this conclusion, but seems to be bit quiet from their behalf.

Now I am monitoring for volts and watts… kWh reading is unusable.

Thanks, I’ll check it. I am still waiting for reply from AEON and from supplier. Did you try to use Datamine plugin for total kWh instead?

Hi All,
any news about this bug in the 1.7 version?
I?m facing the exact same problem I have found out the wattage calculation is made against 110 V(not measured Volt)
I have connected a load and measured the amps to 7,38 A and watt shown in Vera was 808w that gives 110v.
So the bug seems to be they uses a static voltage.

[quote=“harkonen, post:52, topic:175363”]Now I have some info from AEON Labs. This error in kWh metering is known issue with firmware 1.7 and it cannot be fixed, firmware is not upgradable. Only fix is to buy a now version of HEM… How to make sure if new version is 1.7 or 1.8? Nobody knows… ???

Hi all !
Any solutions for this problem ?
Somebody contact with Aeotec ?

Andrey