aeon labs energy meter G2

bucko thanks for searing this information. I have tried to find that kind of table where the bits are explained but I didn’t found any documentation from the internet. Table that you posted are quite different than I have for GEN1 model (parameter 101-103).

If I use this new GEN2 table I get value 16131 for parameter 101 (3 clamp model). Same value for GEN1 model was 16140. I think that reserved columns 5 and 2 are used for clamp 3.

I can’t test this new value now. My HEM GEN2 device is in my summer cottage and now we don’t have power on (winter time). I have to wait next spring to test this new value.

[quote=“Jukka, post:21, topic:175363”]bucko thanks for searing this information. I have tried to find that kind of table where the bits are explained but I didn’t found any documentation from the internet. Table that you posted are quite different than I have for GEN1 model (parameter 101-103).

If I use this new GEN2 table I get value 16131 for parameter 101 (3 clamp model). Same value for GEN1 model was 16140. I think that reserved columns 5 and 2 are used for clamp 3.

I can’t test this new value now. My HEM GEN2 device is in my summer cottage and now we don’t have power on (winter time). I have to wait next spring to test this new value.[/quote]

I hope it helps you. I for one would like to get this stuff working as intended once and for all. The HEM has good features but the original docs are about useless. This info should be included, OR at least made available via their web.

[quote=“bucko, post:20, topic:175363”]I put a pdf from Chris at Aeon Labs explaining the use and config of parameters 101-103. I hope this can help solve out config problems. Go to

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,3366.225.html and dl from my post #230.

Then please post your success/failures for us. I am trying to muddle through this, but don’t fully understand how to do.[/quote]
Finally success! My HEM G2 (2 clamp) settings. Watts and KWH all working and reporting correctly now. Set the following…

This is the way to make parameter changes to the HEM successfully. Follow these steps to insure the parameters are locked in.

1. DO NOT CHANGE ANY OF THE HEM NAMES!
    2.First set 111~113 to stagger report times so they do not conflict, ex. 111= 30. 112=60, 113=90. Don’t go faster than 30 sec.
    3.Change 1 parameter at a time. Do…
    A. Change parameter and Save Vera. If you see a Failed to config then the parameter number you just used is not a correct number. Go back and correct.
    If you see no error then open HEM to settings and click “Config node now”. This will actually set your parameter in the HEM. Save does not set the number in the HEM!
    B. Then open Device Options and verify that the parameter number matches the set number. Now you know the HEM program took.
  2. Now reset the HEM unit. I made a scene with this luup code:

local meterID =
local kwh = luup.variable_get(“urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1”, “KWH”, meterID)

luup.call_action(“urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1”, “ResetKWH”, {}, meterID)

1. Watch for several minutes to see if the HEM works as expected.

Do this for each parameter change.
You cannot change the parameters for the clamps. Only the HEM unit will program.

I was able to get the meter to work really well using the document that bucko posted. 101, 102, and 103 are all individual delivery groups and the 4 byte dec number determines which values are sent in each group. Each of the groups send their values based off of the times set to 111, 112, and 113 respectively. I have the 2 clamp G2 until and used the following setting:
101 set to 770 (this sends only the power values for phase 1, phase 2, and the total)
111 set to 10 (this is the minimum time - any less and the device with give an error)
102 set to 6145 (this sends the KWH for all three values)
112 set to 60 (who needs the KWH updated more often than every minute, I should probably set it to 300 seconds instead)
103 set to 0 (this eliminates any current or voltage readings from being sent)

When someone figures out how we can use the current or voltage readings I can give the number that enables them. Hopefully someone will find a way because I use dataMine to log all of my power values and would love to record the current and voltage also.

[quote=“AZEngineer, post:25, topic:175363”]I was able to get the meter to work really well using the document that bucko posted. 101, 102, and 103 are all individual delivery groups and the 4 byte dec number determines which values are sent in each group. Each of the groups send their values based off of the times set to 111, 112, and 113 respectively. I have the 2 clamp G2 until and used the following setting:
101 set to 770 (this sends only the power values for phase 1, phase 2, and the total)
111 set to 10 (this is the minimum time - any less and the device with give an error)
102 set to 6145 (this sends the KWH for all three values)
112 set to 60 (who needs the KWH updated more often than every minute, I should probably set it to 300 seconds instead)
103 set to 0 (this eliminates any current or voltage readings from being sent)

When someone figures out how we can use the current or voltage readings I can give the number that enables them. Hopefully someone will find a way because I use dataMine to log all of my power values and would love to record the current and voltage also.[/quote]

How are you logging these values in datamine? I need to see usage month by month.

[quote=“bucko, post:10, topic:175363”]I have a G2 2 clamp meter (3.64) and have the same KWH problem. The parent reads crazy high KWH, but the Watts is correct… The clamps read correct KWH and watts.

For the watts to read correct, I have 1 set to 120 while I have a 220 system here in China. But I think this is because actually each power leg is really 120v coming into my bus. I’m not a sparky, but this is my guess.

The KWH is off the wall and it would be nice to find a solution. I just reset the KWH 5 minutes ago, and it is reporting 1532KWH used![/quote]

Bucko -How did you change the voltage on G2? variable 1 is missing on G2. I tried to add it but it did not work. I need to change the voltage from 120 to 240 because the meter is on my solar system.

[quote=“auto, post:27, topic:175363”][quote=“bucko, post:10, topic:175363”]I have a G2 2 clamp meter (3.64) and have the same KWH problem. The parent reads crazy high KWH, but the Watts is correct… The clamps read correct KWH and watts.

For the watts to read correct, I have 1 set to 120 while I have a 220 system here in China. But I think this is because actually each power leg is really 120v coming into my bus. I’m not a sparky, but this is my guess.

The KWH is off the wall and it would be nice to find a solution. I just reset the KWH 5 minutes ago, and it is reporting 1532KWH used![/quote]

Bucko -How did you change the voltage on G2? variable 1 is missing on G2. I tried to add it but it did not work. I need to change the voltage from 120 to 240 because the meter is on my solar system.[/quote]

I am not sure that you would need to change the voltage since the unit appears to measure the voltage from the source that it is connected to. Plus if you have a 240V solar system that just means you have 2 120VAC phases and need to use a two clamp G2 meter to measure them.

Bocko - I only log the instantaneous power usage in data mine not the kWH. I mainly use it to determine how often my 3 AC units and 2 water heaters are active. I have 2 of the heat pump units on the Trane Z-Wave thermostats and they won’t tell you when the system is running so I use the power to figure that out.

@auto- You use 2 byte dec and input your volotage in parameter 1. Add it as a monitor first, save, and then also update config under settings.

Thanks AZEngineer

[quote=“bucko, post:29, topic:175363”]@auto- You use 2 byte dec and input your volotage in parameter 1. Add it as a monitor first, save, and then also update config under settings.

Thanks AZEngineer[/quote]

AZEngineer / Bucko- thanks for your input - My solar uses micro inverters so I have two 240v homeruns coming into my panel and I have a ct clamp on each homerun. The HEM G2 does not have parameter 1. I contacted AEON Labs and they informed me that the US version is 80V-150V and measures volts so it is not configurable. I asked if they could modify the US or EU version to work (run the EU config on US HEM) and they are working on it. I am going to test the TED 5002-G also to see if it may be a better solution. The HEM G2 is a much better meter from the G1 as it seems to report much more accurately - the G1 always had a phantom load. Thanks again

AnotherRookie,

Do your 240VAC lines measure 240 when measured from phase to phase (hot wire to hot wire) or do they measure 240VAC from one wire to ground? I suspect that they are just like standard household inputs and much like the solar system that I have on my house where the wires are at 240VAC when measure between the two hot wires but only at 120 when measured to ground. If this is so then you don’t need any changes to the system and it will work as is with each clamp around the separate phase wires coming into you breaker box from your micro inverters. I am fairly sure about this because here in the US we don’t usually use anything more than 120V per phase on residential applications.

If I am completely missing something and it really is single wire 240VAC to ground lines then I am not sure if 120VAC or 240VAC would make a difference since current is current. You could probably use the meter as is to measure the current and then calculate the power based off the known voltage. There is probably a way to multiply the variables by 2 to correct for the 240VAC voltage if you really need to.

If all else fails send me a message and I can try to help you offline.

How are you guys physically connecting your meters?

I’ve just received one of these in the UK (single phase 240V), I ordered the 3 clamp version and was expecting the battery powered one with just the clamps on, so I could monitor 3 separate loads. In my house I have the main electricity feed split between house and workshop, I currently use a currentcost to monitor the total, house and workshop separately. I was hoping to replace the currentcost with the Aeon.

This GEN2 version has 3 clamps and 3 bare 2-core flex on it, and seems to actually be aimed at a 3 phase installation. Anybody know if / how I can make it work in my situation?

Thanks,

Martyn

[quote=“AZEngineer, post:31, topic:175363”]AnotherRookie,

Do your 240VAC lines measure 240 when measured from phase to phase (hot wire to hot wire) or do they measure 240VAC from one wire to ground? I suspect that they are just like standard household inputs and much like the solar system that I have on my house where the wires are at 240VAC when measure between the two hot wires but only at 120 when measured to ground. If this is so then you don’t need any changes to the system and it will work as is with each clamp around the separate phase wires coming into you breaker box from your micro inverters. I am fairly sure about this because here in the US we don’t usually use anything more than 120V per phase on residential applications.

If I am completely missing something and it really is single wire 240VAC to ground lines then I am not sure if 120VAC or 240VAC would make a difference since current is current. You could probably use the meter as is to measure the current and then calculate the power based off the known voltage. There is probably a way to multiply the variables by 2 to correct for the 240VAC voltage if you really need to.

If all else fails send me a message and I can try to help you offline.[/quote]

AZEngineer-

AEON Labs is working on this with their engineers. I moved the HEM G2 to my mains to use it as a net meter. It does not seem as though the CTs are bidirectional and I only see positive watt readings even when I am exporting. I tried all combinations of CT configurations with no change. I contacted AEON who is looking into the matter.

Out of frustration I ordered and installed a TED 5002-G and downloaded the TED plugin. This unit is great and worked out of the box. It also provides more info then that of the HEM. Hopefully HEM will catch up soon.

Thanks

Dear forum,
I just purchase a DSB28-ZWUS and I am unable to pair it with my Vera3. Currently I do not have the HEM clamps connected to the power panel but the unit is plugged into 110 vac. I see the red led blink when attempting to pair but Vera doesn’t grab it.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks for any help

Dear Forum,

Contacted Power Monitor supplier support and they advised the following. Go to last option of add devices ( advanced Z wave devices ) and scroll to the bottom. Change include toi exclude and timing to 90. Hit GO. Ensure Vera is responding. Now go back and change exclude to include and hit GO. Now press and hold the pairing button on the Power Monitor. Power monitor should blink rapidly. If it doesn’t stop blinking, hit the pair button twice. My unit immediately paired with the Vera.

Hope this helps.

[quote=“Dboser, post:35, topic:175363”]Dear Forum,

Contacted Power Monitor supplier support and they advised the following. Go to last option of add devices ( advanced Z wave devices ) and scroll to the bottom. Change include toi exclude and timing to 90. Hit GO. Ensure Vera is responding. Now go back and change exclude to include and hit GO. Now press and hold the pairing button on the Power Monitor. Power monitor should blink rapidly. If it doesn’t stop blinking, hit the pair button twice. My unit immediately paired with the Vera.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

I was able to install my power meter which is about 25 feet from my Vera 3 and add it using option 1. I think the 3ft away rule is nonsense. I have added all sorts of devices without moving the Vera closer to them.

I did have a connection problem once with the HEM v2 that kept me from being able to register the device and if fixed that problem by preforming a reset of the HEM by holding the button down for 30 seconds or so. After resetting the HEM and using the correct device configuration values I haven’t had any problems.

Good luck…

Hi
excuse me for my english :o

I have the 2 clamps european edition of this meter. I live in Spain (1wire+neutral). Standard voltage at 230v.
My power meter works perfectly… at half load.

If I put for example a 150w lamp, it detects only 75. Put the 40w lamps, detects only 20. etc.
I think the power meter is prepared to install with 2 clamps in the main line. In the instruction’s picture explain how put this, but don’t work me. I think the only solution is can change the main voltage (I supose 240v) to 380v, which is the main voltage between phases. But I can’t discover how to change this (parameter 1 is not operative yet).
I think all the problems in this forum is for that… If somebody discover how to change, please comment how do it. pleeeeeeease…

@rascadecanya

The HEM G2 uses autodetection for Voltage, so parameter 1 does not exist anymore. One thing to note, you need to know what electrical power is running through your home. (Is it 3 phase 3 wire, 3 phase 4 wire, 1 phase, or 2 phase?)

You need to have the correct HEM version to get accurate readings.

I have also heard that parameter 101 needs to be set to either one of these values to 0x00 (0), 0x3F (63), 0x03 (3) while parameter 102 or 103 can be set to report the other clamps to get correct readings if you have an issue with incorrect readings. Can anyone confirm?

Hello,

I have a Home Energy Meter G2 (2nd edition, version info : 3,3,67,1,5) with 3 clamps at home.

I live in France (230V), I have 1 phase power incoming only and I want to measure distincly the electric consumption on 3 separate phases to see the consumption of 3 different devices (for example : lamp, oven, boiler).
HEM is well recognized by Vera Lite and I see 3 different electric consumptions in Vera coming from 3 different devices. But the value is incorrect : I notice that the measured value is around 5 times lower than real value…

Do you have an explanation ? May be there are some specific parameters relative to my configuration to define ? (230V, 1 phase incoming, 3 different devices to be monitored by the 3 clamps)

Please help because I am lost !

Hi,
I live in Italy and I have a 3 phase 3 wire. I had the same problems.
Specific configuration on parameter 101 return errors. I have found a stable configuration to read Watts every 60s and KWH every 4 minutes with this settings: 101 - 16131, 102 - 1794, 103 - 0, and 111 - 240, 112 - 30.
With this configuration I have no more spikes on KWH readings due to voltage readings.
The problems on Watts measure remain. I still have a reading 3 times (I suppose) less then real.
I’ve try to ask to Aeon support but their answer is that G2 use autodetection for Voltage.
At the moment the only workaround I have found is to use Power Arithmetic plugin.

But if someone have the right solution…