AEON HEMg2 stops updating clamp 1/2 power

I have the g2 HEM running on my VeraLite w/ UI7 and every week or so, I’ll see the clamp1 & 2 power readings freeze and stop updating. KWH are still accumulated and the total power reading keeps updating. To fix, I go to the main devices and issue a Configure Now command and the two clamp devices vanish and then are replaced with the default devices. I then can go in and rename them and all is back to normal.

Any idea if there is a better fix for this? Reason being I’m using one of the clamp watt readings as input to a PLEG routine and every time I reconfig, I need to go in and edit the PLEG source to restore that missing device property and then reload LUA.

TIA.

+1

I have exactly the same issue.

I also have a HEMg1 on the same system and it works fine, both clamps and the total watts update reliably.

I was wondering if it might be possible to set up a schedule to send a configure command to the HEM g2 every few days? It seems to work fine for a number of days after a configure command then it seems to lose contact with the individual clamp devices.

Edit: I guess that is a no-go, tried doing a manual config when things were working properly and the clamp1/2 devices get deleted and recreated. Then have to go back in and re-name them so I can tell them apart (why are both named “Home Energy Monitor”?) Then I have to edit my PLEG code since the old device trigger code gets deleted with the old device.

My HEMg1 device has also started not responding, not as fast as the g2 model. I have a support call in so we’ll see if anything comes of that. I see in one other thread that slowing the update rate down, to say 240 secs. might help. I do have the g2 device interval at 10s and the g1 at 60s, maybe I’ll try slowing those down the next time I need to reconfigure.

I’ve been working with Vera support on this for a while now. No results so far, but I have had verbose logging enabled and over the last two days, I lost first one then the second clamp on my HEM gen2 device. So hopefully the support folks can find something in the log data. Interesting that the parent device keeps functions, it reports what look like the correct power for the house, but the Clamp 1 and 2 devices are frozen at the power reading at the time they stopped updating.

4crawler, I’m glad to see I’m not the only one struggling with this. I have two HEM G2s at two separate locations. In my FL home, it’s connected to a Vera Plus. In my TN home, it’s connected to an Edge.

Within an hour of pairing (or clicking the “configure node now” button), both dashboards show “can’t connect to device”. For my FL home, it appears to be more cosmetic than anything, and the values (KWH and watts) for parent and two child devices (clamps) are uninterrupted. The TN home is not so lucky.

I’ve attached a screen shot to underscore the problem.

I’ve had vera support log into the TN home, after which they said this:

I?ve checked the device and it seems that this issue might be related to the distance of inclusion. When the device was included, the distance was too great and it failed to send some command classes.

As far as I could see on the interface, both of the child devices report Watts and KWH every xx seconds.

The best course of action would be a re-inclusion of this device, but, you?ve already stated that this action is quite uncomfortable.

As long as the device is working properly even if the Red Banner with: Can?t detect device is showing, this will not affect your system.

Please check this link: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Aeon_HomeEnergyMonitor, there is a guide which could help you understand how the device works with Vera.

Please let me know how exactly you are trying to set the device so we can further assist you.

Regards,

The issue with excluding and re-pairing the HEM in the TN home (or what support calls being “uncomfortable”) has to do with the fact that I am 700 miles from the HEM device.

My problem is that while the TN HEM does report, it does it randomly, and so inconsistently, it’s useless. The fact that support claims it’s an inclusion distance issue might hold water, if I didn’t have the exact same setup in both locations. My panel is no more than 15’ from the controller in both locations.

I’ve also been working with Christopher Cheng at Aeon. He’s be stellar in terms of support. He even sent me a spreadsheet that let’s you calculate the 4 byte dec value for parm 101 to get any number of reading possibilities for the parent or child devices. Pretty cool… if only it worked.

Chris thinks there may be something in the house that’s causing the HEM to disconnect or drop out. Usually when the readings don’t update, they holdover whatever the last value was - thus a flat line on the Datamine graph showing 5 hours of 385.11watts. Sometimes, though, it will actually show ZERO watts.

Very frustrating. Especially in light of the fact that the utility company in TN is using a ‘smart meter’ that sends daily KWH usage to their portal where I can see what they’re billing me every 24 hours. And those values are insanely high. I’ve had days where they claim I used 12KWH in two hours… And this is an EMPTY house with nothing turned on (no appliances, no HWH, no well pump, no ACs). It is the reason I got the HEM for that location. Oh well

Let me know what you find out. I’ll post updates here (if I don’t forget).
Eric

Still working on my issues. I had a few suggestions from support to try out on the device parameters so working through those now. I haven’t unpaired/repaired yet since I want to try and see if I can find a specific cause of the problem. Both my meters have been working fine for a few years prior to this recent issue. I still think it’s a firmware issue on the Vera side, or rather some change made there that is showing up in the HEM devices. Funny thing with mine is sometimes there will be the can’t connect to device notification, a “poll” will fail, yet a “configure now” works normally, albeit deleting/recreating the two clamp devices with the exact same name “Home Energy Monitor”.

I have the same problem, running on Vera Plus with latest firmware. Configure now works for me as well.

Fibaro Universal Sensors have been doing the same thing the last few firmware versions. As have Aeotec Flood Sensors.

Work fine for a while. Stop working. Must be ‘configured now’ or paired again to start working.

There’s probably something fundamentally broken that’s affecting multiple device types.

Knock on wood, but my Home Energy Monitors seem to have stabilized recently. One thing I did was to turn off any reports besides 101. My sensors were set up on UI5 and had a 101 and 102 or 103 reports set up. So I made the 101 report include everything and then set the 102 and 103 report masks to 0 (at least on the HEMg2). I can’t zero out the 112 and 113 report times. But for the past few weeks, I’ve not had either my HEMg1 or HEMg2 device need re-configuring. So on my HEMg2, I have variable 101 set to 6915 decimal and on the HEMg1 I have that set to 6925 decimal (although that one still has 103 set to 6912).

Posted too soon. My HEM g1 stopped reporting on one clamp last night. So reconfigured and it’s working again.

I suppose this may all resolve itself as I finally decided its time to upgrade from the VeraLite to a Plus model. I’ve been having issues every time a new firmware upgrade comes along with not enough memory to do that upgrade. And the unit also seems to have lost use of the USB port.

I have the same problem, running on Vera Plus with latest firmware.

I continue to have the same problem with AEON HEMg1 as well. There are other threads related to this issue, but does not appear to be any permanent fixes. I had mine running for a few months, but it now seems to break every couple of days. I hate to reconfigure as it changes the device numbers of the two sensors and therefore any code that uses these devices has to be updated. I have not updated the firmware on the AEON device, but am going to try that to see if it fixes the problem.

I gave up and built my own hybrid Openenergymonitor.org and Mysensors.org (Arduino Plugin) 3-Phase system. See pic.

Been 100% reliable for 2 months now. And yes installed by Licenced Electrician. :slight_smile:

Mine is stuck at the same watts for Leg 1. It’s been working for a week now, but just today all day the Watts for Leg 1 stopped moving. Any tips?

Been looking into this as well. The HEM causes a ton of zwave traffic to the Vera. Somehow it sometimes loses the child device.
I looked in the logs and when the leg stops updating, the log shows that the child device became a “stray device”
The solution in this case is to force a reconfiguration of the master device. I am looking into reconfiguring the HEM to decrease its update frequency so as not to have the amount of traffic it is generating…

Let us know how it goes or if additional information from me could help. I hate to keep re-configuring, because as I noted before, it changes the device numbers of the children and I would like to have some scenes associated with these children yet not have to update these every time a child goes missing.

I concur that the children get somehow ‘lost’, but what could prevent this. In the case that I saw, my vera went through a startup and it was during this startup that it lost the child. After the startup, I then got the stray node for clamp 1. I have not lost my clamp 2 for many months, but it is currently not clamped on a wire so it always reads 0 anyways, but I can see that it is still configured.