Aeon HEM Gen2 US

Just picked one of these and got it paired successfully. Both clamps and the main device are reading wattage by I think they are incorrect. The clamps are reading 2W & 3W and the main reports 5W. The problem is that this is monitoring a laundry dryer. I am not well versed with anything that can potentially fry me but I believe this is way off.

This HEM is not installed in my main breaker panel. I actually clamped both clamps to the dryer cord (my dryer is 240v). The clamps are not a snug fit could this be the issue?

Thanks.

Your readings are very low because you are capturing the neutral (or “return line” if you will) in addition to your 2 x 120v hot. To get an accurate reading, you need to clamp around your 2 x 120v lines at your breaker box.

Thanks. Just did that 'tho I had to attach the clamps to the whole house feed. I couldn’t get the clamps to monitor just the dryer. I got datamine monitoring the usage so I can figure out what the norm is so I can isolate and create rules for my dryer notification.

That may be tough to do. As you will see, your wattage will fluctuate greatly throughout the day. I was hoping to do the same thing, but ending up using tow HEMs - 1 for my whole house and 1 for my dryer (I have an extra clamp that I’m not using at the moment).

I actually bought two HEMs for the same reason. My dryer breaker has regular wires coming of the side (not the thick insulated cables) and I’m not sure if the clamps can monitor those wires.

I actually bought two HEMs for the same reason. My dryer breaker has regular wires coming of the side (not the thick insulated cables) and I’m not sure if the clamps can monitor those wires.[/quote]

They sure can. Place one of your clamps around the two wires (2 x 120v) and you can monitor that clamp for dryer use. Mine stays at 0 and runs around 300-350 Watts while the dryer is running. Coupled with the Energy Sensor Plugin, the notification when done works perfectly.

[url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11076.0.html]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11076.0.html[/url]

Cool thanks again.

Need Help with Aeon HEM Gen2 - two phase (US). I’ve been able to get the device paired with my VERA Edge; I get a parent with two children devices (one per clamp). I’ve placed the clamps on each of the two hot wires (120 VAC). When I turn on the dryer I get 0.000 Watts in the parent device and when I place the dryer in dry clothing mode the device reports 5246.515 Watts value and both the parent and two children devices have KWH values (i.e. the parent is currently showing 0.7860 KWH which is a sum of the children).

1. What am I missing I would have expected my Watt values to register in the hundreds ( 300-350 Watts) not thousands.
  2. I notice that when I turn off the dryer it seems to take a number of minutes (~5) before the Parent device changes to 0.000 Watts. Is there a way to get more quicker reporting to VERA?
  3. Since the KWH is a cumulative value that captures values from the time the Aeon HEM device first detects wattage used to the latest. Question is there a way of resetting the KWH value back to a zero value?

When I look in the Device Options I have the following;
Variable Data Size Desired Value
101-Report 1 4 byte dec 6915
102-Report 2 4 byte dec 0
103-Report 3 4 byte dec 0
111-Report 1 Interval 4 byte dec 240

I can’t help you with part 1 and 2 of your question, but I do have an answer for part 3.

3. Since the KWH is a cumulative value that captures values from the time the Aeon HEM device first detects wattage used to the latest. Question is there a way of resetting the KWH value back to a zero value?

You have to create a scene to reset the KWH. Follow the instructions here:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=17611.0

Every month when I receive my electric bill, I run the scene to clear the KWH for that month. It seems fairly accurate.

@Lonestar10, thanxs for answering part 3. I got a similar response via email to AEON support. One thing I’ve noticed with this type of sensor is that it isn’t very reliable at least in my case where I have it in my main breaker box it seem to be getting false readings from some circuit current surges I will have to investigate and find out why? Mike

@Lonestar10, I’ve updated the procedure to reflect for Aeon Gen2 device. Mike

//forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,17611.8.html