Advice on door lock & thermostat controls for vacation rental

I want to control my door lock (front & kitchen doors) thermostat and maybe throw in a light for good measure. I was looking at the Schlage Nexia setup but this seems like a much better way to go. I want to be able to lock and unlock remotely so I need electric door locks. Advice on which locks & thermostat. I’m having HVAC installed and the company usually uses Honeywell.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

I own both Kwikset and Schlage locks. I prefer the Kwikset models for several reasons.

I have found that most people who encounter the Schlage lock for the first time – with its keypad and weird knob/handle – aren’t sure what to do once they enter the code. They hear the lock beep, but nothing happens (they have to manually turn the knob within a few seconds). The same is true when people are locking up. They entered the code, but did they turn the knob? Did they turn it in the right direction?

There’s just too much to chance for a lock in such a remote location.

I understand that Schlage now sells a motorized version, but I’m not sure how well it works with Vera.

With the Kwikset, guests enter the code and the deadbolt turns automatically with the help of a tiny motor. Vera will indicate if the deadbolt is locked or unlocked. The Kwikset lock looks and feels much like a regular door knob.

However, Kwikset and Vera, and for that matter, Schlage, cannot tell you if the door is actually CLOSED. You may want to use separate door sensors or a camera to help verify the door/lock status.

I have installed four Trane z-wave thermostats and all of them have worked flawlessly.

I have used the Yale lock with a touch pad for about a month. Set-up was simple and I have not had any issues. I get a text message if the battery is low or if the lock malfunctions. Entering PIN codes using the plugin for Vera is simple and allows me to specify the date/time range for when a given code will be valid. The response from renters has been fantastic. They have not had problems learning to use it and they appreciate the technology and security. I am using Duracell Ultra batteries and have not seen any drop in power yet

[quote=“Lonestar10, post:2, topic:175608”]I own both Kwikset and Schlage locks. I prefer the Kwikset models for several reasons.

I have found that most people who encounter the Schlage lock for the first time – with its keypad and weird knob/handle – aren’t sure what to do once they enter the code. They hear the lock beep, but nothing happens (they have to manually turn the knob within a few seconds). The same is true when people are locking up. They entered the code, but did they turn the knob? Did they turn it in the right direction?

I understand that Schlage now sells a motorized version, but I’m not sure how well it works with Vera.

With the Kwikset, guests enter the code and the deadbolt turns automatically with the help of a tiny motor. Vera will indicate if the deadbolt is locked or unlocked. The Kwikset lock looks and feels much like a regular door knob.

However, Kwikset and Vera, and for that matter, Schlage, cannot tell you if the door is actually CLOSED. You may want to use separate door sensors or a camera to help verify the door/lock status.

I have installed four Trane z-wave thermostats and all of them have worked flawlessly.[/quote]

I disagree with your assessment of ease of use. I like the Schlage non-motorized lock for two reasons. Long battery life and tolerance for misalignment.

I found that on some doors, the motorized deadbolt can be slightly tight and prone to unlock failures. I have had problems with a Kwikset that binds and with a weak battery will fail to open. By then the alarm contact have set off the alarm. It’s hard to change a battery from 2400 KM away.

The Schlage is much simpler and consistent to open.

Biggest beef with the Schlage is that using a key with this type of lock is tricky.

Yale with touchpad has been fantastic! No battery issues after 4 months. No problems in salt water environment. Renters love it. easy to program in all the numbers.

[quote author=Perlova link=topic=15090.msg120800#msg120800 date=1375123803]

Thanks for this info!

Margarette Burton
http://www.palacetravel.com/page/terms_and_conditions

Please can anyone confirm if all these locks can have the access codes changed remotely from Vera?

The latest Schlages can. You can get them as straight deadbolts or with integrated handle. Also, the Schlage BE469 also has built in alarms for lock, door and break-in tamper. And the Schlage is the only Z-wave electronic lock (priced under $200 USD) that is ANSI Grade 1 security rated, that I am aware of.

I have 4 Yale touchscreens and love them. The only gotcha is to make sure the bolt on the deadbolts can freely move in and out of the hole. If not the locks will get stuck. Luckily the lock will report this to Vera immediately (on my mobile app I see the message ‘bolt not fully extended’). On the lock itself it will make an certain error sound if that happens. Other than that they work well. Status is reported almost immediately if the lock is manually operated. PIN codes can be set in Vera as well as schedules for individual PINs. I also have one that isn’t a deadbolt (lock is built into the door handle) and it works well outside without problems.

I use the Nest thermostats in a rental house and they have been fantastic. I set them to allow a limited range of adjustment. They are very easy to control and monitor with my iPhone

installed the Yale YRD220-ZW-619 Aug 2013 in the vacation home that we rent out. It’s been mostly occupied since then and the lock has worked very well both for me from a remote management perspective as well as for the guests. I used either the original batteries that came with the unit or Duracell Alk. (I really don’t remember). In any case, started getting warnings yesterday (Mar 8, 2014) “very low battery” which should mean less than 10% power left. Log in on Vera light, and it says 50% pwr left. In any case I had the tenants change the batteries. Batt level is back to 100%.

[quote=“Lonestar10, post:2, topic:175608”]I own both Kwikset and Schlage locks. I prefer the Kwikset models for several reasons.

I have installed four Trane z-wave thermostats and all of them have worked flawlessly.[/quote]

Hi

I agree with Lonestar10. I also have both Schlage and Kwikset locks and have used them now for three years. I prefer the Kwikset locks for their simplicity of use. I have not had a single problem with the Kwikset locks. The Schlage locks require some training for the renters. I continually get questions about their use. I don’t see much difference in battery use between the two locks, Battieries last about a year for each.

Don