Advice about Motion Sensors, please

Hi everyone,

I am planning to add a motion sensor to our kitchen. Naturally I want a z-wave device, now that I have Vera. There are two sensors, that I can buy here in Germany and I wonder if there is anyone out there who is able to recommend which one is best for the purpose:

1. Express Controls EZMotion Wireless 3-in-1 Sensor
  2. ACT ZIR010

What I want to have is a handfree lighting in the kitchen with a retriggerable sensor. If anybody has any further insight, I would very much like your input.
Thanks

Umtauscher

Hi Umtauscher ,

I live in the netherlands and used also Zwave and vera.

We have installed the zir010 in the central hallway downstairs and the hall way first floor.
The worked fine for me , When the zir010 is triggerd the light in the hallways will go on.
After 5 minutes we send from vera a off command to the lights.

Less minutes then 5 is not wirking fine , because the sensor has a idle time.
With 5 minutes the sensor works as it should be.

I would advise you to buy the zir010 because the nice price.

just my 2 cents.
Marco

My recommendation would be to buy a simple Z-Wave switch, an IR-switch and than build up a toggle switch.

Example from Merten:

• Single Radio flush-mounted receiver CONNECT, 507001
  • ARGUS 180 UP Sensor-Modul with switch
    Similar (cheaper) products available from Popp/düwi.

pros:

• easy
  • IR switch works without Vera (reliable)
  • you can switch the light with Vera too
  • no switching delay

cons

• no additional use of the IR switch (e.g. send mail when…)

huwu

Any of those 2 would work - I personally prefer 3in1 for its looks. Now, if all you want is for the motion sensor to turn on the lights, you just need to associate the sensor with the light switch and it will be sending Z-Wave commands directly w/o Vera (I see that some people imply that Vera is unreliable and advise against using it…)

Thank you guys, for your help.
@mversluis
Unfortunately a minimal On-time of 5 mins seems to be unacceptable for me. I would prefer, if the light went out as soon as the last person leaves the room.

@huwu
Nice idea. But this setup would exactly not do, what I want. I want to have control whether the sensor switches the light on or not. And this could only be accomplished by vera. So sending directly to the switch doesn’t help that.

@denix
How long would you consider the delay with the motion sensor talking to vera? Is the 3in1 retriggerable? How long is the minimal time for it to send a “no movement” message?.

Perhaps i should order both and test them myself…
Thanks

Umtauscher

[quote=“umtauscher, post:1, topic:165347”]Hi everyone,

I am planning to add a motion sensor to our kitchen. Naturally I want a z-wave device, now that I have Vera. There are two sensors, that I can buy here in Germany and I wonder if there is anyone out there who is able to recommend which one is best for the purpose:

1. Express Controls EZMotion Wireless 3-in-1 Sensor
  2. ACT ZIR010

What I want to have is a handfree lighting in the kitchen with a retriggerable sensor. If anybody has any further insight, I would very much like your input.
Thanks

Umtauscher[/quote]

You can get z-wave contact sensor HRDS1 or it’s European analog - with contacts for external sensor; and get any wired motion detector that better match your requirements (there are so many kinds of them). Connect one to another and you have highly customized z-wave motions detector.

@umtauscher: When you change the configuration a bit by placing the wired IR detector behind the Z-Wave switch you may get what you want.

huwu