Adding a yearly trigger

Is it possible to add a yearly or seasonal trigger?
I would like a geo scene to only trigger during Summer (December 1st-February 28th) but I can not add luup code to a geo scene so I added a virtual switch which I was planning to set a scene to turn in on on the 1st December every year and turn off the switch 28th February each year then add this switch to the geo scene.
Appreciate you assistance

I use the GCal3 plugin for yearly triggers: MiOS Apps

I don’t think Vera has a direct way to set up yearly triggers (or didn’t in the past, maybe now?).

I beleive you can create a trigger for the first of each month.

Then in your LUA code, abort the scene if it is not December or March, and then set your virtual switch appropriately if it is December 1 or March 1.

You can also do this with PLEG, I have had my heating set with a yearly schedule for over 5 years with an absolute schedule.

I second PLEG. Attached is my yearly schedule for an outlet I use at Christmas.

[quote=“aa6vh”]I beleive you can create a trigger for the first of each month.

Then in your LUA code, abort the scene if it is not December or March, and then set your virtual switch appropriately if it is December 1 or March 1.[/quote]
How do you apply lua code to a geo scene as they only show up on mobile device (not in normal GUI)

[quote=“jswim788”]I use the GCal3 plugin for yearly triggers: https://apps.mios.com/plugin.php?id=7016

I don’t think Vera has a direct way to set up yearly triggers (or didn’t in the past, maybe now?).[/quote]
This is an option but I was hoping to avoid internet reliance if possible but looks the most likely option.
Thanks

I have previously attempted to add the pleg plugin but it did not seem intuitive on what to do next so I have always removed it and worked out luua method

See conditional scene execution on this forum. You’ll find date ranges.
Just execute it daily and turn it on or off using the range.

I have previously attempted to add the pleg plugin but it did not seem intuitive on what to do next so I have always removed it and worked out luua method[/quote]

In my case, I read this user guide: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,21603.0.html and lots of trial and error. Eventually it penetrated my thick skull and viola - it made sense.

Similar to your request, another option is watching outside temperature since “summer” is really relative to outside temperature. In my case, I monitor outside temperature and if < 60F, I turn my thermostat to Heating Mode. If > 65F, then cooling mode.

My heating/cooling setpoints are set by House Mode. Home is 68/75, Away is 65/78, Night is 65/72, and Vacation is 60/80.

So I seldom touch the thermostat regardless of season. This is especially helpful spring and fall, where you may be heating in the morning and cooling in the afternoon.

I used to do this in Scenes but eventually move it all to PLEG.

[quote=“therealdb”]See conditional scene execution on this forum. You’ll find date ranges.
Just execute it daily and turn it on or off using the range.[/quote]
I thought of doing this but it seemed crazy to add extra load to my ver executing a tasks each day for nothing instead of once a year on the correct date

I have previously attempted to add the pleg plugin but it did not seem intuitive on what to do next so I have always removed it and worked out luua method[/quote]

In my case, I read this user guide: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,21603.0.html and lots of trial and error. Eventually it penetrated my thick skull and viola - it made sense.

Similar to your request, another option is watching outside temperature since “summer” is really relative to outside temperature. In my case, I monitor outside temperature and if < 60F, I turn my thermostat to Heating Mode. If > 65F, then cooling mode.

My heating/cooling setpoints are set by House Mode. Home is 68/75, Away is 65/78, Night is 65/72, and Vacation is 60/80.

So I seldom touch the thermostat regardless of season. This is especially helpful spring and fall, where you may be heating in the morning and cooling in the afternoon.

I used to do this in Scenes but eventually move it all to PLEG.[/quote]
I think this might be the best solution and I already had a aeotec multisensor 6 on order for outside which will show the outside temperature.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Is the PDF that you referenced still available ? Perhaps it is my device (as I am working remotely but I can not open the PDF

I thought in your OP that you were trying to create a yearly scene that sets a virtual switch (which would then be used by the geo scene).

I would not worry about having a scene that runs daily, but just checks to see what day it is. Schedule it to run during the night. It’s not like Vera has anything better to do at that time anyway.

I thought in your OP that you were trying to create a yearly scene that sets a virtual switch (which would then be used by the geo scene).

I would not worry about having a scene that runs daily, but just checks to see what day it is. Schedule it to run during the night. It’s not like Vera has anything better to do at that time anyway.[/quote]
I understand what your saying but, still I have trouble adding a task to run 365 days a year for a one day a year trigger. I will use temp sensor as suggested for the trigger, but thank you for the suggestion. Anyone know why a yearly trigger is not available by default ? Perhaps not enough requirements or an OS limitation ?

But did you really tried?
I’ve just went into scene builder, chose schedule trigger, clicked “once”, then I can set up the date and time.
Where is the problem?

If you want to restrict scene to be run during certain period of time, I believe it will run daily (or every time any of the triggers within scene fire) regardless if you put the logic in scene or in PLEG. the scene (or PLEG routine) has to check if all conditions are met, the easiest (and most efficient) way to do it is at the time when one of conditions is met.

If you want to disable scene completely for certain period of time, the easiest way will be make a scheduled scene(s) which enable/disable your desired scene at certain point of year (date and time).

Is the PDF that you referenced still available ? Perhaps it is my device (as I am working remotely but I can not open the PDF[/quote]

The PDF is still working for me. I have attached it here as well.

Oh, here is my PLEG status report with the thermostat logic.

[quote=“kwieto”]But did you really tried?
I’ve just went into scene builder, chose schedule trigger, clicked “once”, then I can set up the date and time.
Where is the problem?

If you want to restrict scene to be run during certain period of time, I believe it will run daily (or every time any of the triggers within scene fire) regardless if you put the logic in scene or in PLEG. the scene (or PLEG routine) has to check if all conditions are met, the easiest (and most efficient) way to do it is at the time when one of conditions is met.

If you want to disable scene completely for certain period of time, the easiest way will be make a scheduled scene(s) which enable/disable your desired scene at certain point of year (date and time).[/quote]
Adding for a specific date once works (google colander app was also suggested for something similar) but the intention is for it to run each year at the same time (start of summer). The most suitable option for me will be using outside temperature sensors (as previously suggested) and once I have them and setup.
Appreciate your input!

The Google calendar triggering is quite flexible and can certainly be set up to run every year on a certain date. The nice thing about it is once you have it set up, you can do all sorts of triggering with it. Just add something to your calendar, and your automation responds appropriately.

But this is just one of many options as noted in this thread, and it sounds like you have a good choice for your usage.