added a dummy switch to make a 4 way switch using scenes?

My stairway have a 3 way switch currently, however we remodeled the staircase and the steps are entering at a different location. I want to add an auxiliary switch switch to make a 4 way switch but there is no wiring to the to the existing 3 way. However, the switch will have power since I’ll be putting it at a location with power expanding an existing single gang to a two gang.

Couldn’t I use a standard switch and not connect the output to anything and just set a scene to turn off on/off the 3 way switch?

It is possible to do what you describe. For it to work properly, it is important that the new “standalone” switch supports Instant Status. This means using something like the Leviton VRS15-1LZ 15A Scene Capable Switch.

However, I would recommend using a one button scene controller like the Linear WT00Z-1 instead of a regular Z-Wave switch. Using this switch, you can associate the switch to the others attached to the light. No scene would be needed if you use an association.

Is it just more convenient to use one of those switches or is there additional benefits? I already have a spare linear switch that i can use. If i dont have to buy more switch, I’d rather not.

Most Z-Wave switches that are light switches (not scene controllers):

If they are designed to carry a load they aren’t happy if you don’t have them control an actual load (they can’t detect on/off state etc).
Most also do not support instant status (so if you press the button, the scene is not going to be triggered right away, usually can take up to a minute depending on how busy your z-wave mesh is).

You are going to want either an accessory switch that can control other switches by association (like the Cooper RF Accessory Switch), which don’t control a load but can control other switches directly.
Or you are going to want a Scene controller there (these are all a bit tricky to get to work in Vera right now some work better then others).
I would probably go for the scene controller,that would let you trigger the lights, and if in a convenient place also let you do some other fancy things from that location. Otherwise if it is just to control the lights you might want to look at the Cooper RF Accessory Switch (or Leviton RF switch).

Search the forums for info on the Scene Controllers, some work better then others, all are a little tricky to get installed and working correctly.

[quote=“dannieboiz, post:3, topic:189088”]Is it just more convenient to use one of those switches or is there additional benefits? I already have a spare linear switch that i can use. If i dont have to buy more switch, I’d rather not.[/quote]A Linear switch will not provide reliable operation. You will not be able to use a Linear switch to create an association and the Lack of Instant Status will create potentially lengthy delays between button presses and when the scene/lights react.

As explained by @shallowearth a scene capable switch will work. I disagree about the load in that, so long as it utilizes a Neutral wire, the absence of a load will be a problem for the switch. However, it will be more expensive than a one button scene controller like the Linear WT00Z-1 which can activate scenes or handle associations which will allow for more standard switch operation independent of Vera.

@dannieboiz

I had similar problems where i needed 2 way control in the hall for a 1st floor landing lightand there was not existing 2 way switching. There was an existing single hall light switch. I replaced the existing hall switch for a double paddle type and used the second paddle via association to control the 1st floor light.
I would definitely go for switching via association as it will still work even if vera dies.

I have used association to manually control all my lighting because of the ‘fail safe’ functionality. You still have all the options for scene control as well although in my case that is more for turning off unwanted lights plus running my outside lighting.