add existing user in UI7

how do I add an exiting user in UI7, when i say add user, I try to add a user that existed in ui5, but says can’t add them as email already used?

so question, how do I add an existing user, all fields are required or you can’t continue?

opened a support ticket, will see what they say

have not heard anything yet, I suppose I could create some new bogus email addresses to set up existing ui5 users as new ui7 users with

seems you sould be able to tie one email with multiple accounts

what if I wanted one admin account and one user account for some of my devices (say tablet as admin, cell as user), would seem weird not to be able to use the same email address for both accounts

I also tried to do a reset password, but it said email doesn’t exist, sounds like some data was copied from the ui5 db to the ui7 db that should not of been when creating the new ui7 db

UI7 requires a new account. UI5 accounts do not transfer over. Each user requires a separate email address.

• Garrett

that is the problem, the accounts existed on ui5, when I try to recreate on ui7, says email already used

I thought well maybe I created it before on a beta ui7, but no way to add an existing user even if I did

is this where I should be logging in

https://home.getvera.com/users/login

from that site I was able to do a password reset for that email

but as the email was tied to ui5, when I tried to logon with it and select VeraEdge, it says firmware out of date, so email is tied to older account on vera-lite

just tried to create the user again with a new user name via the gui in ui7

get " Failed to create user! Email already in use. Please try another email." (there is no way to add a existing user via email or userid in ui7 that I can find)

only way around this I can think of is to create some new “throw away” email addresses to create the users again for ui7, course that could cause issues down the road with password resets, ect… so I would prefer to use the users real email address

[quote=“JS007, post:6, topic:184462”]from that site I was able to do a password reset for that email

but as the email was tied to ui5, when I tried to logon with it and select VeraEdge, it says firmware out of date, so email is tied to older account on vera-lite

just tried to create the user again with a new user name via the gui in ui7

get " Failed to create user! Email already in use. Please try another email." (there is no way to add a existing user via email or userid in ui7 that I can find)

only way around this I can think of is to create some new “throw away” email addresses to create the users again for ui7, course that could cause issues down the road with password resets, ect… so I would prefer to use the users real email address[/quote]

If you use a gmail email address, then you can get past this:

1. Add a period anywhere in the username before the @. Gmail ignores them (if you put periods when you stared, however, they have to remain. I found this out the hard way).
  2. put + then something after it. Gmail will still send it to your account, for instance: myexamplename+this_is_ignored@gmail.com

Here is link to read more (BTW, this is how I get multiple users in vera):

That said, I think it is ABSOLUTELY DUMB! that I can’t migrate my account to UI7. How could they think this is acceptable? People like my mom have 1 email address and that is it (not gmail), so they would be completely stuck!

dang, thought I had it

I upgrade the user to an administrator, logged into vera with that userid, changed their email address in ui5

that went well

but then went to add to ui7 and still said the old email was in use

maybe this will explain issue better

I attached screenshots of old ui5 and new ui7, notice the existing user option in ui5, no such option in ui7

so to reproduce this issue, just add a user in ui7, remove them, then try to add them back in ui7, without the existing user option this can not be done

this would also mean if you wanted to add the same user to more then one vera with ui7, you could not

this is why the users I added a couple months ago when did a test upgrade to ui7 can not be readded back with the same email address again, they already exist as ui7 users

got a reply from support, I confused them by saying this was a ui5 user in past, so was told have to create new account

I replied and explained this was a ui7 user account and how to duplicate by adding a ui7 user and then removing them, then trying to add them back

Yep I hope they fix this … Early on in UI6 (Same accounts for UI7) I grabbed a bunch of preferred USER names for my use.
I would like to be able to keep these and not have to create new ones.
I did have to create a new account on my test UI7 system when I reset to factory config.

This also begs the question… Let’s say I had 2 systems, and needed to have the same user on both system, is this not possible?
You would be able to create them on one system, but not be able to add them to the other?
Looks like the option that was in the UI5 to “add existing user” simply needs to be put in as an option in UI7.

got another response from support

appears all sub users are tied to the main admin account, and deleted when you delete them

mine must be in limo for that one users email address

I did try to add a user, delete them and re-add them with a bogus email and that worked

I wonder if this happened because I upgraded to ui7, then reverted back to ui5 (never actually deleted the users), so they are stuck in limbo now tied to my veralite that is no longer ui7

anyway, asked support to deleted that user manually, will see what happens

below is email

On UI7 there are two type of users; the ones that are synchronized for the first time with the unit and those accounts become the administrators for the unit/units. And the users that are added after that on the unit, those accounts are child accounts for the main administrator account. In addition, if you remove the child account from the unit that account will automatically be deleted from our database and you will be able to create a new account with the same email address.

Also, if you have 20 units or more assigned to your administrator account when you will add an account you can select which of those units you want that account to access.

If you will have a new Vera unit first you will need to add your administrator account on it; and after that you will be able to select the unit to be controlled by one of the child account created under the administrator one.

Please let me know if you have further questions and I will get back to you asap.

sounds like to give a user access to other systems, will need to access the systems they already belong too, and then select the systems you want to give them access to at the bottom

am gonna upgrade my old veralite to ui7, see if still see the users there or not

ok, upgraded veralite to ui7, the users from veraedge were in there, but not the ones in limbo

the users are added by default, shows as “Basic User - Can control: MyVeraEdge”, but in order to control “MyVeraLite”, would need to give them that access, they do not have by default, so that is good

support deleted the user I was having trouble adding, appears I added her as a main ui7 Administrator in past rather than as a user, once was deleted I could add that person as a user again

Makes no sense … An admin for one Vera can be a user of another.

they said once an admin created via the getvera site rather then the other users in the system, they can only be added as Administrators

I do agree though, the older system worked better with the ability to add existing users

in fact, all accounts should be created in the cloud, and you just add existing usernames is the way it should work imo, then the user would set up their own account, the vera admin would add them to their vera afterwards, the local vera should also have a local admin\passward seperate from the cloud

also should be able to set permissions on each object by user as to if they can view them or not ui10 maybe :wink:

I am experiencing a need to re-add a existing user to a controller that was reset to default. I deleted one existing user before I reset the unit, another user was left “orphaned” as a user when the device was factory reset.

I recreated the user I deleted, but I can not re-add the user that existed at time of factory reset of the unit. That account name and email is orphaned and I can not recreate it. I suppose support can delete the ghost account that is not linked to any units but exists as an account on their servers.