AD2USB over long USB to ethernet run

Hi team. Like some of the other people noted, I will have some distance between my AD2USB and my Vera controller. But rather than a Pi, I’d prefer to just use the ethernet. I will have an ethernet cable between them tho (not part of the network). I’m hoping to use a USB-Ethernet adaptor like the one from Monoprice. It looks like it’s limited to USB 1.1 speeds. Do you know if anyone has had success with this type of connection configuration?

I was using ethernet to USB adapters between my VeraLite/Vera3 and a USB dongle for EnOcean, and it worked fine. I think you just have to test it…

[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HRH9H4E]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HRH9H4E[/url]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is where you should sale your AD2USB and get something made to work with Ethernet like Envisalink EVL‑3/4

After you buy adapters and such consider the cost and hassles. Also don’t forget any money you will recoup from your AD2USB either.

I have the alarm system on one floor and the Vera on another floor with Ethernet cables running between the floors. I removed the ends of an Ethernet cable and run the wires from the alarm to the ad2usb as a serial line. I plug the ad2usb into the Vera’s USB port and it works fine. So, I am using the wires in the Cat6 Ethernet cable as a serial cable with the ad2usb at the Vera side rather than at the alarm side - no adapters required. It has been rock solid for years.

I have my security panel in my basement, and my Vera & Network closet in my office on the second floor.

I had two options. Use a ethernet over power adapter, and put my vera next to my security panel, then run the ethernet power adapter in an outlet next to my network closet, run ethernet to the patch panel. This would have given me functionality, but it wouldn’t have been convenient from the standpoint of having all the network type equipment in one location. My other option, which is what I did, was run 22/4 security wire from the basement, to the attic, into the network closet. It took some doing, but I was able to run it along the same paths as the plumbing stack. While I was at it, I also ran 3 runs of Cat 6. Two to go to my living room, and another to the alarm GSM communicator, so I can have a dual path for my alarm system.

Overall, a pain in the ass, but worth it.