Actions being triggered even if schedule is Off?

Hi

Ive got a basic heating process set up where my house heating is switched on/off depending on the temperature on my rooms as reported by my fibaro motion sensor.

The problem I have is that the heating is being triggered outside the schedule range for some reason and I cant figure out where my logic is allowing it. For example the heating was on last night at 00:45 even though the schedule sWeekendHeating was listed as listed as OFF.

John

Hi John,

I’m not sure but it might have to do with the stop time on your schedules.

I think your sWeekendHeating schedule might have been ON last night. Because that schedule goes ON at Sat/Sun @ 8:30AM and OFF at Sat/Sun at midnight. But that means from Sunday 8:30AM when it turns ON it will remain ON until Friday night/Saturday morning @ midnight.

I would change the stop times for both schedules to be 23:59:59 or something like that so it goes OFF @ (roughly) midnight of the day it turns ON.

Whenever I need to have something happen at midnight I never schedule it for 0:0:0 or 12:00AM because I’m just never sure if that time is associated with the day that just ended or the day that is just beginning. It’s usually the day that’s just beginning but just to make sure I always do 23:59PM or 12:01AM.

Thanks,
Craig

Hi Craig,

The schedule actually said “Off” and yet the condition which had the schedule as a trigger said “true”.

John

Maybe post your status report when you see the issue. It is possible that your schedule was still on when it triggered the heat but then the schedule was off by the time you checked.

Hi,

I will test it again tonight and post the screenshots should it happen :slight_smile:

We do not want screen shots … We want the status report… In PDF format.

Hi,

Sorry Richard I didn’t realise you guys needed a PDF. Ive attached one showing the status at 01:20 on a weekday where I thought sWeekday would be false based on my settings, the state shows true.

John

[quote=“Wallace4793, post:7, topic:190639”]Hi,

Sorry Richard I didn’t realise you guys needed a PDF. Ive attached one showing the status at 01:20 on a weekday where I thought sWeekday would be false based on my settings, the state shows true.

John[/quote]

I think your mistaken on your words. “I thought sWeekday would be false”
I think your ment “sWeekendHeating” should be false

And yes it should be false. It seems to have missed 23:59:00 on Sunday night to turn it off. Unless you click the “do it now” it will not turn off until next Sat. at 23:59:00.

Richard can correct me if i’m wrong but I think if your vera is offline, not responding, unplugged, in the middle of a reboot and the time comes to turn it off it will miss it. After that it will not fix it’s self until the next time it is scheduled to turn off. You can manually flip the switch by click the do it now in the settings to the right of this timer.

I would say its a vera issue with a reboot or froze up during that time. Last sunday night at 23:59:00.

If you use ABSOLUTE times (for either an ON or OFF event) and vera is rebooting during that time … The event will NOT fire until the next cycle.

That’s why I recommend INTERVAL times when possible. … I.e. turn on with an Absolute time, turn off with an INTERVAL time.
You may miss the ON event, but even if Vera reboots during the OFF event, the OFF timer will fire.

I have requested MCV to make a MINOR change to the luup.call_timer … that would allow me to make this bullet proof.
[hr]
I am not hopeful it will get done.
Details of the MCV request:

luup.call_timer currently returns a single status value.
It’s rare that anyone actually looks at this return value.
I would like them to return a second parameter … the SCHEDULED wakeup time for the request.
They clearly compute this inside the function.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the answers. I dont think the unit was rebooting but may have been busy as you say… I have pressed “do it now” to reset the schedules and keep an eye on it.

PS thanks for the all the hard work on the PLEG plugin Richard.

John

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:9, topic:190639”]That’s why I recommend INTERVAL times when possible. … I.e. turn on with an Absolute time, turn off with an INTERVAL time.
You may miss the ON event, but even if Vera reboots during the OFF event, the OFF timer will fire.[/quote]

That is a great suggestion that I can use in some of my schedules also.

Wallace4793,

That should work fine in this case also. You have your on timer set to start fine but instead of having it go off right at 11:59 or a specific time, just change your off time to 18:30:00 hours after it turns on. The end result will be the same but instead of vera waiting for a specific time it will be looking at the time it turned on plus 18.5 hours after it turned on. If it reboots during that off time once it comes back online it will still see that it’s been more then 18.5 hours and will still turn off. The other way if reboots and when it comes too its already 12:00 or 12:01 it doesn;t know it already missed 11:59 and it won’t shut off.

EDIT:

If your on a VERAlite… Your “lite” on RAM and reboots probley happen more then you know unless you have something to alert you when it does. I had to upgrade from the veralite to edge (now waiting for the PLUS) to prevent reboots.

PLEG and other plugins puts a load on the low RAM in the lite. Several plugins and devices are all that it takes. Vera Alerts can tell you when it reboots or any logs.