Ability to tell the status of the LEDs without looking at the unit?

Hi

Is there the ability to tell the status of the LEDs without looking at the unit itself?

Like many my Veralite is hidden away (on top of a unit) and not easy to get to, so I was wondering if anyone has done anything to be notified if a LED status changes ?

LED
Power - Blue
Ready - Orange
Network* - Green
Error - Red

• Loss of network would be an issue to be told via e.g an email or Prowl due to the need for an internet connection but I could theoretically use a ZWave or a 433mhz device as a way to provide that notification.

It’s not always instantly obvious the impact of a change to the LEDs, as functionality in certain areas can be unaffected - i’ve had all LEDs on and no issue were being seen, but Vera obvious felt there was a problem, and when I did see it a recycle of the power cleared it.

# ls /sys/devices/platform/leds-gpio/leds/veralite:*/brightness /sys/devices/platform/leds-gpio/leds/veralite:blue:power/brightness /sys/devices/platform/leds-gpio/leds/veralite:orange:zwave/brightness /sys/devices/platform/leds-gpio/leds/veralite:red:error/brightness /sys/devices/platform/leds-gpio/leds/veralite:yellow:lan/brightness

These are pretend text files which contain 0 or 255 depending on whether the LED is on or off. You can even write to them to change the LEDs’ state.

I don’t think there is a plugin to monitor or control the LEDs.

Take a look at /usr/bin/set_leds.sh to see how the LEDs are managed on each hardware model. Looks like they’ve taken a fairly standard route and mounted them under a virtual filesystem.

I imagine you can read the values back from there to get their current status.

Oooh, but there could be!

Thanks all.

The goal would be to have Vera notify you if there were any changes to those LEDs, I’m not sure how you would do that by interrogating an .sh file and the for it to trigger an alert (mail, prowl, etc.) ?

I assume the Power notification would be impossible as Vera would be off, but maybe there is another way to check power… As for the other 3 observing changes in those would be of real interest.

I have no idea how long my red light was on (no smart remarks please :slight_smile: ) but it could’ve been a while, I only found it during a routine check - plus I know the Orange LED’s gone off a number of times in the past too.

Oooh, but there could be![/quote]

@akbooer - sounds like you have something in mind? :slight_smile:

@akbooer - sounds like you have something in mind?

Sounds like an add-on for EventWatcher?

Pardon my ignorance, but are the lights and topology on VeraLite different?

filenames: blue:power, orange:zwave, red:error, yellow:lan

VeraLite: blue:power, orange:zwave, green:lan, red:error

[Edit: … and further, I note that the directory path is machine-specific? ]