Abandoning ADT.... need Z-Wave advice

Good morning,
For about the past two weeks, I’ve been doing research with different companies regarding alarm monitoring services, home automation integration, etc. I currently have ADT with their Safewatch Pro 3000 EN, which is a Honeywell Vista 20P. Although the companies I’ve spoke with vary, most are sure I can keep the 20P and the wireless SA 5881 module, but I will need to replace the GSM module, as ADT locks theirs down. I’m fine with that, unless anyone out there knows differently, that I can keep it.

My issue comes from the home integration aspect. I have several Z-Wave switches and outlets throughout the house, and a IP camera. To use Honeywell’s TotalConnect software, it’s an additional $21/mo, and another $5 for up to 6 camera. For the monitoring services out there that charge $8.95/mo, that brings me up to $35/mo. That’s still less than ADT is ripping me off for at $58/mo, but I’m not convinced Honeywell’s z-wave technology is the best. I only have the simple 6160 control panel, so my honeywell choices are 1) Add Tuxedo control panel (pricey) 2) Add Honeywell Vista Automation center. Both seem better than ADT Pulse, but I suspect their z-wave support is still limited.

Which brings me here. I was reading about connecting a Vera unit to my Vista 20P. I know there is a NuTech AD2USB module that will allow you to connect Vera to the Vista 20P.

[ol][li]Does this allow triggers from the panel to control Z-Wave devices?[/li][/ol]

[ol][li]Can I create schedules based upon alarm state?[/li][/ol]

[ol][li]Aside from costs and added z-wave suport, what other benefits would be associated with this over my current setup?[/li][/ol]

[ol][li]What kind of web based/iOS based support is there?[/li][/ol]

[quote=“tamorgen, post:1, topic:191507”]Good morning,
For about the past two weeks, I’ve been doing research with different companies regarding alarm monitoring services, home automation integration, etc. I currently have ADT with their Safewatch Pro 3000 EN, which is a Honeywell Vista 20P. Although the companies I’ve spoke with vary, most are sure I can keep the 20P and the wireless SA 5881 module, but I will need to replace the GSM module, as ADT locks theirs down. I’m fine with that, unless anyone out there knows differently, that I can keep it.

My issue comes from the home integration aspect. I have several Z-Wave switches and outlets throughout the house, and a IP camera. To use Honeywell’s TotalConnect software, it’s an additional $21/mo, and another $5 for up to 6 camera. For the monitoring services out there that charge $8.95/mo, that brings me up to $35/mo. That’s still less than ADT is ripping me off for at $58/mo, but I’m not convinced Honeywell’s z-wave technology is the best. I only have the simple 6160 control panel, so my honeywell choices are 1) Add Tuxedo control panel (pricey) 2) Add Honeywell Vista Automation center. Both seem better than ADT Pulse, but I suspect their z-wave support is still limited.

Which brings me here. I was reading about connecting a Vera unit to my Vista 20P. I know there is a NuTech AD2USB module that will allow you to connect Vera to the Vista 20P.

[ol][li]Does this allow triggers from the panel to control Z-Wave devices?[/li][/ol]

[ol][li]Can I create schedules based upon alarm state?[/li][/ol]

[ol][li]Aside from costs and added z-wave suport, what other benefits would be associated with this over my current setup?[/li][/ol]

[ol][li]What kind of web based/iOS based support is there?[/li][/ol][/quote]

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. Neither of your current solutions are HomeAutomation. They are more Home monitoring. Both have monthly fees and are very restrictive. With home Automation controllers you have plugins for a ton of devices. Weather, Roomba, Cameras, RGBW LED lights, Speach recognition or TTS. There really is no comparison. Alarm companies are trying to get in on what been around for some time.
  4. You can login to your vera via any web browser/computer at www.Home.GetVera.com and use that or there is many apps for andriod and iOS. Vera comes with their free one for both but there are better that can cost up to 10.00 from the play/apple store. Homewave on iOS is my favorite or Imperihome For either Andriod and iOS is also great. both I think are around 10.00 but there are alot more then just those 3 options of apps.

integlikewhoa,
Thanks for confirming what I already suspected. Last night I ordered the Vera Plus controller, as well as the NuTech AD2USB adapter. I still need to determine if the ADT GSM communicator is locked to ADT, but by the end of the month, I should be out of their handicapped z-wave clutches. Only other question right now is how long the Vera Plus is backordered.

[quote=“tamorgen, post:3, topic:191507”]integlikewhoa,
Thanks for confirming what I already suspected. Last night I ordered the Vera Plus controller, as well as the NuTech AD2USB adapter. I still need to determine if the ADT GSM communicator is locked to ADT, but by the end of the month, I should be out of their handicapped z-wave clutches. Only other question right now is how long the Vera Plus is backordered.[/quote]

Depening on the location of the vera to the alarm panel you could have went Ethernet with a EnvisaLink EVL-3/4 vs usb cable.

Also if your not dropping ADT you may have problems getting the installer code you’ll need to program either adapter to the panel. If they won’t help you you’ll need to factory reset and set everything up yourself. Every panel uses a code to provide locked access to the panel when it was first setup. They may or may not be willing to hand that information over to you.

[quote author=integlikewhoa link=topic=36776.msg274247#msg274247 date=1457638541]

[quote=“tamorgen, post:3, topic:191507”]integlikewhoa,
Thanks for confirming what I already suspected. Last night I ordered the Vera Plus controller, as well as the NuTech AD2USB adapter. I still need to determine if the ADT GSM communicator is locked to ADT, but by the end of the month, I should be out of their handicapped z-wave clutches. Only other question right now is how long the Vera Plus is backordered.[/quote]

Good to know. I’ll probably put the Vera near my alarm panel, just link the current ADT NetGear box is. I bought the NuTech AD2USB because of the Wiki said that is what I needed for my alarm panel.

I actually already have the installer code, because the ADT installer didn’t change it from the default code. I added a few new sensors to my alarm system, which they weren’t pleased about, because they couldn’t come out and charge me 3x the retail price of each sensor and $60 to install. I did have to call them to get the Pulse system to recognize them as Window/Door sensors, but that’s nothing to do with the control panel, just their backend.

Alright sounds like your good to go on installer codes and such. It’s also a big security issue with them leaving the main codes defaulted. Shame on them, but it helped u. ;D

The wiki is old and isn’t updated very often nor is everything you need to know covered there.

Both work just fine and the ip one offers remote location capabilities and also offers some communication outside of vera if you need it. Might be a bit more money tho like 10-20 bucks.

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:6, topic:191507”]Alright sounds like your good to go on installer codes and such. It’s also a big security issue with them leaving the main codes defaulted. Shame on them, but it helped u. ;D

The wiki is old and isn’t updated very often nor is everything you need to know covered there.

Both work just fine and the ip one offers remote location capabilities and also offers some communication outside of vera if you need it. Might be a bit more money tho like 10-20 bucks.[/quote]

Yeah, I probably would have ordered the Envisalink if I knew about it, but looks like Amazon already shipped the other one. No worries. So long as the NuTech will interface with the Vista 20P, give me triggers for sensors, and let me arm/disarm from the Vera, I’m good with that. And you’re right, it’s only about $10 difference. Oh well.