A Little Help, please

Posted this under the Alexa child board, but it may be more appropriate here.
I’m in a loop - Vera says they cannot touch secure items, Amazon says the API will let you do that.
Research has shown Amazon has all the smart skill APIs you could ask for.
Read the info below if you have time - otherwise a simple question:
Do I need to build an Amazon Alexa skill or does Vera need to allow Alexa to use the (already) accessible devices?
The inaccessible security answer seems to come from Vera, not Amazon.

Current system - Honeywell alarm panel (z wave secondary), Vera Plus (z wave master), Alexa Dots,
Various Honeywell in wall dimmers, GE in wall dimmers, a few switched plugs, thermostat and connected deadbolt (lock).
Problem: garage door has remained open some evenings so a $20 garage door z wave tilt switch was added.
Vera discover/sees/responds to the tilt switch named (GDOOR), but only offers notifications (email) and an Arm/Disarm.
I attempted to add the switch to Alexa and she (?) will not see it from Vera’s standpoint - in the Vera console, under Manage Alexa, there is no sensor/tilt switch (GDOOR). I wanted Alexa to provide a visual alarm at 9 PM if the door was open.
My understanding is this is a security issue to Alexa. However, I see MANY plug ins for Samsung, Google Assistant and other systems and hardware that do EXACTLY what I am asking for.
I contacted Customer Support via phone and they were sympathetic but not helpful - lua code does not seem to be the answer.
I need to know if I should pursue this with Vera, or with Amazon or if this is something people have encountered and/or fixed?
Apologize for TMI - I have already opened an AWS account if that’s the way I should go - but shouldn’t we be afforded the basic rights to our systems secure settings?

Hey there,

Having the security devices enabled implies some business decisions and certification process.
Vera Skill is certified for regular devices, while security devices require re-certification.

Long story short, this is not possible at the moment, but it will be possible in the future. I know that there are people using workarounds, but no Vera official can condone and help you with that as it will cause liability issues.

I hope you will find your solution through our community.

Thank you - I still have the same question - Amazon says through their APIs I can develop a skill.
You said due to security issues this cannot be done.
My confusion comes from reading two different things.
What END is this on - Vera or Amazon? If I can get that information I can go forward.

I think he’s saying Vera has to recertify their skills with Amazon to enable use of secure devices but they aren’t yet ready to do that.

So when you ask Alexa to unlock a door and she says she can’t do that it’s because Vera has not recertified the skill which would register security devices as controllable.

So luup workarounds and other stuff will work but no support from Vera if you go that route.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. That tells me there is no point creating an Amazon app until Vera takes action. I saw some similar posts to mine and some of the work that needs to be done. Just learning this entire process and I now at least understand the source.
Yes, hopefully Vera will do as you said.

Hi,

As I am not from Vera I can say I read this in an other post 8).

You can create a scene on your Vera to open your door and then use an Alexa command to trigger that scene. Of course if someone manages to find a way to trigger that scene (not sure if shouting through the doors mail slot can trigger an Alexa command) they will be in your house, but that is your choice.

Cheers Rene

[quote=“tomtcom, post:4, topic:199937”]I think he’s saying Vera has to recertify their skills with Amazon to enable use of secure devices but they aren’t yet ready to do that.

So when you ask Alexa to unlock a door and she says she can’t do that it’s because Vera has not recertified the skill which would register security devices as controllable.

So luup workarounds and other stuff will work but no support from Vera if you go that route.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Thank you ::slight_smile: