7 segment display for Z-Wave

Hi,

I’m searching for a display, where I can send/display data from the controller. Is there something like z-wave device? I would like to send the temperature measured from a sensor to a display (7 segment would be fine).

This is not as easy as it should be. A tablet running Imperihome would probably be your best bet.

Homeseer sells a zwave dimmer switch (WD200) that has seven color LEDs. The challenge would be to create code to address those LEds from Vera.

[quote=“Odysee, post:1, topic:207182”]Hi,

I’m searching for a display, where I can send/display data from the controller. Is there something like z-wave device? I would like to send the temperature measured from a sensor to a display (7 segment would be fine).[/quote]

If you’re a maker type (as I am), you could easily build such a beast out of a wide choice of available microcontrollers. RPi would be overkill for this, but mini boards like the Particle Photon or Adafruit Feather Huzzah would be about ideal–cheap, built-in wi-fi with HTTP service on which to make your communications protocol, and good dev tools. On the Vera end, it can be as simple as [tt]luup.inet.wget()[/tt] to your device. While this puts the work in your lap, it would work with any controller or interface that can make an HTTP request. Features would be bounded only by your willingness to press your skills into service, and can thus evolve and expand over time.

The Homeseer switch is not that, what I’m searching for. Some simple LED on/off I could realize with Fibaro RGBW dimmer. I’m searching for a device that can display a numeric value.

I’m indeed a maker type. Soldering and a little bit programming should not be the problem. But unfortunately, I am very short of time (two children 1,5 years old ;)). So I would prefer a ready to run product at the moment. Is there really nothing to buy in this way?

I believe you should be able to do what you need with ZUNO.

There is MySensors that can do what you want if you are into electronics.
I have a display in my kitchen that displays temperature and some other status, it?s an Arduino Mega with a 3.2? TFT.

Vera Plugin for MySensors
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/board,55.0.html

[quote=“rigpapa, post:4, topic:207182”][quote=“Odysee, post:1, topic:207182”]Hi,

I’m searching for a display, where I can send/display data from the controller. Is there something like z-wave device? I would like to send the temperature measured from a sensor to a display (7 segment would be fine).[/quote]

If you’re a maker type (as I am), you could easily build such a beast out of a wide choice of available microcontrollers. RPi would be overkill for this, but mini boards like the Particle Photon or Adafruit Feather Huzzah would be about ideal–cheap, built-in wi-fi with HTTP service on which to make your communications protocol, and good dev tools. On the Vera end, it can be as simple as [tt]luup.inet.wget()[/tt] to your device. While this puts the work in your lap, it would work with any controller or interface that can make an HTTP request. Features would be bounded only by your willingness to press your skills into service, and can thus evolve and expand over time.[/quote]
I second the Adafruit Feather Huzzah—inexpensive and extremely flexible. Adafruit also carries the CircuitPython LED displays, also inexpensive.

Sounds very interesting the Adafruit Feather Huzzah. I’ll take a look…

Do check out the ZUNO as well, it’s basically an Arduino board with Z-Wave built right in. It depends on how you’d like the display to communicate to Vera. If you just want to display one or more numeric values, ZUNO can expose those as Z-Wave dimmers on your Vera, and you can adjust the displayed values by using simple scenes, without any programming in Luup. If you want to do more complex stuff, you might be better off with a Feather Huzzah board and either use Luup code on the Vera to push display values to it, or have the board issue user_data requests to Vera to pull in data to be displayed.

I’ll check that too.