5 light switches in room for just 3

I’m trying to replace a bunch of light switches, 5 total. They are allocated close to each other, and two of them are dual switches (i.e. physically 2 switches in one gang controlling 2 different lights). With normal rocker Z-wave switches I’ve seen online, I’ll only be able to fit 3 there. I have no seen any dual z-wave switches, so I’d love to hear any recommendations :slight_smile: Oh yeah 3 of those switches are also 3-way! :slight_smile:
I’m attaching photo of the setup.

There are dual switches, such as the Leviton VRCS2-MRZ Vizia RF + 2-Button Scene Controller with Switches.

There are also in-wall microswitches such as the Aeon Labs DSC26103-ZWUS - Z-Wave In-Wall Micro Controller or the Vision In Wall Z-Wave Micro Switch, 2 relay that would allow you to continue using your existing wall switches.

I’m really impressed that you could find a cover plate that fits that somewhat unusual configuration.

1. there is the VRCS2-MRZ, however that won’t really help you with 3 way (I don’t think it will do 3-way, but I could be wrong).

2. Are you absolutely sure you can’t take the box out and put in a 5 gang box? Here is one that you can put as “old work” if your existing one is next to a stud (most likely): http://www.homedepot.com/p/Madison-Electric-Products-Smart-Box-5-Gang-Multi-Mount-Adjustable-Depth-Device-Box-MSBMMT5G/203343451

If you aren’t comfortable doing that, you could always hire an electrician to make the swap for you (3 gang → 5 gang). If you go with #2, then you can just buy normal z-wave switches and most support 3 way as long as your house is wired correctly for them (not all of them do 3-way the same way)

When using the Leviton VRCS2-MRZ 3-way(n-way) operation can be achieved by using scene capable controllers for the remote switches. One button versions of such controllers include Leviton VRCZ1-1LZ Vizia RF + 1-Button Zone Dimming Controller/Virtual Dimming Remote Switch or the Linear WT00Z-1 Z-Wave 3-Way In-Wall Remote Switch.

Naturally, multi switch scene controllers, like the Leviton VRCS4-M0Z Vizia RF + 4-Button Remote Scene Controller as well as others, can be used for “virtual” n-way installations as well, if desired.

Wow, thanks guys! I’ll see first if I can fit 5 gang box (I haven’t opened cover yet). Yeah it’s funky cover, I have no idea where they got it from, it came with the house :slight_smile:

Success!
I was planning to replace current box with 4 gang, but it was extremely difficult task (imagine how many wires there were for 5 switches, many of which were 3-way :o ). I hired electrician and he had a brilliant idea to just add single gang box next to existing one!
Then he just ran wires into it. I placed duplex 3-way switches there (non z-wave), and rest could accommodate full size z-wave switch (I only installed 2 for now).

[quote=“bratan, post:6, topic:186624”]Success!
I was planning to replace current box with 4 gang, but it was extremely difficult task (imagine how many wires there were for 5 switches, many of which were 3-way :o ). I hired electrician and he had a brilliant idea to just add single gang box next to existing one!
Then he just ran wires into it. I placed duplex 3-way switches there (non z-wave), and rest could accommodate full size z-wave switch (I only installed 2 for now).[/quote]

A 4 gang box would have been the correct way.

Why? Are you trying to make me feel bad about something I can no longer change? :slight_smile:

Why? Are you trying to make me feel bad about something I can no longer change? :)[/quote]

You are correct I apologize. In case you have another room with a setup slimier tho. Stick to one box. It fits all the wires just the same. As a matter of fact it should fit better as you normally can share the power and neutral wires from one switch to the next and only have one set coming in and one set for each switch going out. Where in the separate box you need coming in and out just for one switch.