3 way light control question

I just purchased 6 Jasco 45612 light switches. When I purchased them from Amazon, it said they can be used in a 3 way switch configuration. However, reading the instructions, it says you must use a 45610 as the slave. Can I use two 45612s or do I have to buy the 45610? I know the 45610s are cheaper so not sure if its just suggesting to use them due to cost, or if its necessary.

You MUST use 45610 Add On Auxiliary Switches with a single 45612 In-wall Dimmer. The GE 45613 contains one 45612 and one 45610 which is less than buying a 45612 and 45610 separately.

Thank you! Wish I knew this in advance :slight_smile:

For 3-way or more(n-way) circuits, the GE/Jasco 45612 Dimmer switch can ONLY be combined with the GE/Jasco 45610 Auxiliary Switch. You CANNOT use more than one (only) 45612 dimmer in the same circuit. The 45612 dimmer and the 45610 auxiliary switch are available together as a pair in the GE/Jasco 45613 3-Way Dimmer Switch Kit additional 45610 auxiliary switches can be added for n-way configurations.

If wiring for a 3-way configuration is not convenient or possible, it is possible to use a Z-Wave scene controller switch, such as the Evolve LTM-5 switch controller to control the 4512 dimmer. This option is more expensive than the wired auxiliary switch.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:4, topic:178279”]For 3-way or more(n-way) circuits, the GE/Jasco 45612 Dimmer switch can ONLY be combined with the GE/Jasco 45610 Auxiliary Switch. You CANNOT use more than one (only) 45612 dimmer in the same circuit. The 45612 dimmer and the 45610 auxiliary switch are available together as a pair in the GE/Jasco 45613 3-Way Dimmer Switch Kit additional 45610 auxiliary switches can be added for n-way configurations.

If wiring for a 3-way configuration is not convenient or possible, it is possible to use a Z-Wave scene controller switch, such as the Evolve LTM-5 switch controller to control the 4512 dimmer. This option is more expensive than the wired auxiliary switch.[/quote]

just bought 45613 (3-way dimmer kit). having problems to make it work. are you saying that the 45610 is the aux which has 3 terminals (line, load, and traveler), and the primary is the 45612 which has only two terminals (traveler and neutral). i have installed 45612 standalone and 3-way 45614 (non dimming) with no problems. any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. i have a feeling my setup is incorrect. when i disconnected all the wires, the red wire seems to be the hot wire. just confusing. thanks.

they talk about the Primary switch being the one with the Hot connections. You can identify it by the LED light in the front and the Line, Load Neutral and Traveller Connections. The Auxiliary switch has no LED, is noticeably lighter and connects only the Neutral and Traveller. Both connect to ground as well.

It is helpful if you can tell us “In Switch A I have mains power in and load out and in Switch B I have just the 4 conductor wire connection” for example.

these are tough little buggers, but a lot of us have been down this road and will get you through it. Once you get it in working, and understand it really isn’t a three way dimmer/switch you will understand how easy it really is.