3-way dimmer question

I’m starting to replace my dimmers in my home with the monster IWD600s and I had a question.

I know these dimmers can be used as a 3-way. Now, could I just replace the main switch with one of the Monster ones and leave the original AUX dimmer (which is a different brand obviously) or would I need to get the Monster AUX dimmers?

Oh and I’m very excited to start the Vera journey ;D

You have to use a leviton aux switch with these dimmers. You can not use any other brand. Look for Leviton VP00R-1LX.

• Garrett

[quote=“Uzi05, post:1, topic:168812”]I’m starting to replace my dimmers in my home with the monster IWD600s and I had a question.

I know these dimmers can be used as a 3-way. Now, could I just replace the main switch with one of the Monster ones and leave the original AUX dimmer (which is a different brand obviously) or would I need to get the Monster AUX dimmers?

Oh and I’m very excited to start the Vera journey ;D[/quote]
Welcome to the Journey - the companion switch will need to use for the IWD600 is the VZ00R-1L Dimming Switch - same style - same era of Z-Wave.

Thank you so much for the quick responses! I’m going to buy a few of those. I have a question about wiring. I’ve been looking up wiring diagrams to see what I’m in for bc I’ve never done electrical work before this.

I know the monster switch has terminals for load, line, and ground and it also has a terminal for 3- way applications that is taped off. What exactly goes into that 3rd terminal? From a diagram I saw for another dimmer, I might not even need that terminal?

In the wiring diagram, on the main switch, line and traveler are wired together connected to the line terminal and load is capped off. At the companion switch, traveler to line and load to load out to the fixture.

My only guess would be, does traveler connect to the 3-way terminal?

The taped off terminal is for 3-way applications. The wire between this and the corresponding terminal on the companion switch is how the two switches communicate.

From a diagram I saw for another dimmer, I might not even need that terminal?
I would go with the diagrams that are provided by Monster/Leviton.

Also, it is important to fully understand your current wiring first.

Got it. Guess I’ll get my voltmeter out and get to work.

I have wired my Monster IWD600 and Leviton VP00R-1LX according to the diagram in the pic provided. This is the diagram that came with the VP00R-1LX. The IWD600 will control the lights just fine, but the Leviton will not. When the IWD600 is on, the far right LED on the VP00R blinks and when the IWD600 has the light off the LED on the VP00R is off. I think I’m close here, but can’t seem to figure our where to go from here.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Can you take pictures of both boxes (also include in the photo the switches and as best you can, the wires going to them)?

Here are the pics of each switch. Hopefully you can make them out ok.

Broncswon or anyone else, did you ever resolve your problem? I’m seeing the exact same thing. I’m quite certain I’ve got a pretty good understanding of what the wiring is doing and that it is wired according to the manual’s guide. I’m concerned this Leviton companion switch isn’t really compatible with the monster. :-\

Have you tried the older style Leviton companion (with the vertical dimmer buttons, just like the Monster); see @kaldoon’s remark up above.

This is really old… but I’m bumping it because I have the same question.

I’ve used Monster IWD600S switches in two different homes now. I have those mixed with the older-style Leviton Vizia RF (non-plus) switches. I have several spots where I’d like 3-way dimming (or, at least switching). I’ve tried to use Leviton VZ0SR-1L companion switches, but they don’t work with the Monster dimmers. I see above that a different model is quoted. I successfully put 3-way dimmers in place in my last property, but I don’t have access to those model numbers or wiring to see how I did it.

Any ideas on which model should work? The thread above doesn’t give me confidence that these switches VP00R-1LX are the correct ones either. I can say definitively that the VZ0SR-1L does not work.

EDIT: a quick search for “VP00R-1LX” shows that this is a Vizia + companion switch… new-style, with horizontal dimmer bar. That gives me even less confidence that it’s correct.

I purchased a VZ00R-1LZ from Amazon. I installed it as I have a bunch of other 3-way switches. It didn’t work, so I consulted the instructions… all wired correctly, but then I saw the note highlighted in the attachment.

“non-RF only”

…so, I guess I need a VZ00R-1LW.

What I’ve found is that the older version of Leviton Z-wave companion dimmer switches just isn’t available. Anywhere. So if I want to put the three-way wiring I have to use, I need to use the “current” version of Leviton dimmer switches. I have a couple, fortunately.