2nd Genaration H@L - Android Only Voice Recognition for Vera

great ! looking forward to it… it is most usefull and we all love u , u know that right ? :smiley:
asking anything from mcv takes ages sometimes … really annoying.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer”]I will post my notes today … I asked permission to do so over a week ago.
If they had a problem they had plenty of time to answer.[/quote]

I made sure I took a lot of notes several months ago when working with the MMS authentication. The documentation at the time when mcv provided it to me was incomplete and helped them with several bugs / issues along the way. Hopefully with our knowledge we can help others smoothly transition and not go through the pains that we had to go through.

• Garrett

i admire u guys patience … really am… without the both of you our domotica-life would be so much different than it is today. re-inventing the wheel never helped anyone imho

Hi Richard

Love the concept of the app but unfortunately I can’t get it to run it on my Nexus 5 phone. I can get to the configuration tab but once I select my username the app crashes. I can clear the app data and try again but it crashes at the same location every time. Have you experienced any issues with the Nexus 5 or has any one else who has one? I have uninstalled/reinstalled but this didn’t fix the problem. I have sent a couple of crash reports through Google. I think the app is having a hard time writing data to my phone.

A major upgrade to HAL has been done.

The new version has the following features:

1. UI5 and UI6 support
    Better local/remote handling
  2. Support for multiple Vera. To use multiple Veras you will need to name each Vera.
    To switch to another Vera just say:
    USE YourVeraName
  3. Add support for MultiSwitch devices
    On HAL, each Switch looks like an individual switch, with the Name of the device being the Button name.
  4. Add support for Alarm Partitions.
    You have the ability to save your PIN code … It’s encrypted on Vera if you do!
  5. Add the ability to Ignore certain devices using the
    Active Status command. I have some Power switches that are on ALL the time. I do not want to hear about them!
    [hr]
    You will have to specify your UI5/UI6 credentials to get started (I did not try to restore from the previous version).
    Then List Vera IDs to validate your credentials. If you have more than one Vera … then you will also need to name your Veras.

The Help file has been improved. You have a different help page per Vera, with that Vera’s devices and rooms.

I have some more changes coming … but this was a working step … so I thought I would release it.

Are there versions of the Android operating system that HAL does not work with or am I safe to buy any Android device?

At present HAL is not licensed … that may change in the future … I put hooks in place to license … but have not activated them yet.
Hal will not work with OLDER Android phones.

HAL doesn’t like my Samsung Note II at all. Vera is detected direct and via UI5 but after that the following issues exist:

• Upon installation it keeps playing the “please configure my options…” until app is force closed and restarted.
  • After that restart it starts background monitor but nothing else happens
  • After another close/open cycle it shows the push to talk option
  • It then consistently force closes after anything spoken and never are rooms or similar shown on the help pages.

Debug log submitted via google.

Edit: exact Same results on ASUS transformer tablet.

The above crash is also happening on my Samsung Note 3 and Samsung Note Pro 12.2 :-[

What I have noticed is that there isn’t a HAL folder on the ExtSDCard, could this be the problem Richard? Since updating to Android 4.4.
3, I have found that no third party App can write to the ExtSDCard. There is a HAL folder on the internal RAM card!

I can’t seem to get the latest version to work.

I go into the credential settings and enter my connection information for UI5. I then List Vera IDs, and my Vera is reported as found, but all I have is an option to Cancel. So I press the cancel button. My Vera ID shows under the Vera Names setting and I have given it a name, but HAL doesn’t do anything. It seems like I’m missing something?

[quote=“qwen3579, post:90, topic:175160”]I can’t seem to get the latest version to work.

I go into the credential settings and enter my connection information for UI5. I then List Vera IDs, and my Vera is reported as found, but all I have is an option to Cancel. So I press the cancel button. My Vera ID shows under the Vera Names setting and I have given it a name, but HAL doesn’t do anything. It seems like I’m missing something?[/quote]

I have the same problem.

Doesn’t run right on my note 3 either. 95% of the time I can’t get the action screen to even show up to speak to it. Once in a great while when it does I speak and it crashes.

If the help file does not show all of your current rooms and devices … then there is a problem communicating with Vera.
In that case … there is nothing for it to do … since it has no idea what devices you have.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:93, topic:175160”]If the help file does not show all of your current rooms and devices … then there is a problem communicating with Vera.
In that case … there is nothing for it to do … since it has no idea what devices you have.[/quote]

That is correct. I only get a Dictionary and Help option 90% of the time. And the HELP is empty.

I got to credentials and added my User and password more then once with UI5 selected.
I click ok and I can click on List vera ID’s it shows both my veras turns green says done.

I have VERA names set for each an each shows.

I have sent you Debug email. Seems like problem with storage directory.

Same happens to me using a Google Nexus 7…

I have just released a Fix to the Google App (Play) Store.
There was a bug when there were NO defined scenes.
I was able to duplicate when I added my Test system … which has NO scenes.

Also fixed a bug if you have more than one Vera defined.

Hal has been upgraded to support continuous recognition.
In the examples below … the hilighted words are key to recognition … the other words are ignored.
In the examples below … the italicized words are names unique to my configuration. i.e. Vera, Room, Scene, or Device names.

So it now supports:

[ul][li]Multiple Vera’s UI4 → UI7 (Automatic Local/Remote switching)
i.e.:
Please Use the Home system.[/li]
[li]Continuous recognition (Optionally … can still use push to talk!)[/li]
[li]Help File Generated with commands for all discovered devices (Discovery is automatic!)
i.e.
Show me the Office Help
I need some help for the Kithen Light
Show me the Home Vera Help[/li]
[li]Get the Status of devices … not just the ability to command devices.
i.e.
Tell me the Status of the Office Light
What is the Active status[/li]
[li]Wild Card Support:
i.e.
Please Arm all Alarms.
HAL turn off all lights in each bedroom please.[/li]
[li]Word translation (user defined translation dictionary i.e. lite means light) and Fuzzy logic word recognition to improve recognition capability.[/li]
[li]It remembers PIN codes (fully internally encrypted) for Alarm systems.[/li]
[li]Voice command support for the following:
[list]
[li]Dimmers[/li]
[li]Switches[/li]
[li]Locks[/li]
[li]Thermostats[/li]
[li]PLTSs[/li]
[li]Humidity Sensors[/li]
[li]Light Sensors[/li]
[li]Security Sensors[/li]
[li]Temperature Sensors[/li]
[li]Virtual Switches[/li]
[li]Window Coverings[/li]
[li]Combination Switches[/li]
[li]Alarm Partitions[/li]
[li]Multi-Switches[/li]
[li]Scenes[/li]
[li]Rooms[/li]
[li]Vera Controllers[/li]
[/list]
[/li]
[li]Misc commands:
i.e.
Good Bye
Exit
Ignore Office Power Strip[/li]
[li]Prepared for new Google NOW Voice API to allow integration with OK google when released by Google.
At that time it will be more efficient with battery when continuously listening as well as being able to work in the background.
i.e.
OK google ask hal to turn on the office light please.
At that time I will also look into Andoid Wearable integration (Google Glasses, Watch, …).
[/li][/ul]

I have upgraded the Open Mike to be a service … so you do not need to have the APP displayed all the time to do continuous speech recognition.
NOTE: In this case you will need to set the Background Time Setting … so it doesn’t stop running for the specified (possibly forever time!)

I also change the name from HAL to H@l

I received a cease and desist letter from Home Automation Living … they make a HomeSeer like product and have trademarked HAL.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:98, topic:175160”]I also change the name from HAL to H@l

I received a cease and desist letter from Home Automation Living … they make a HomeSeer like product and have trademarked HAL.[/quote]

Thanks, will be sure to spam them as I please.

I will likely make the Open Mike a licensed feature.

I plan to add the option for a Wakeup Phrase to the Open Mike (Something like “OK HAL” or “OK Vera”).
I have a separate phone in the same room running Vera Alerts … and it’s weird to have HAL respond with “I did not understand that” when Vera Alerts sends a message.
If specified … you will need to use this Wakeup phrase to get Hal to Start Listening then it will listen for any command for a few minutes before waiting for another Wakeup Phrase.