2017 Summer Sprinkler Timer Recommendations

Hi Everyone.
Well Spring is almost here. I spent last summer putting sprinkler and planter watering lines in and it is almost time to get the sod.
I have no experience in this area so I would like to get some very valuable expertise from the fine people of this forum.
Before I put the sod in I would like to prewire for soil moisture sensors since I think they will more than pay for themselves with water savings so inputs for these are a must.
I have read a few posts in this section but would like to get some experienced feedback on the latest watering timer devices that would fit my needs.
I would like it to integrate with Vera to trigger but I definitely need it to see weather and the soil moisture and base watering on that. Since I will be using their app to set things up and use, I would like the app to work well.
I would also like the unit to have quite a bit of zones. At least 16 or at least be inexpensively expandable.

Some devices I have heard referenced.

Obviously Rachio 199$ / 249$

Open Sprinkler 149$

TIAO 69$

Any feedback, recommendations on this hardware or other, or how you did your system would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi there,

I know that OpenSprinkler is compatible with Vera through a third party integration.

Plugin can be installed from Vera’s app store.