Is there any hope that these z-wave issues (and other design related issues) will be resolved in the linux firmware? And BTW what’s the latest estimate as to when we’ll see the linux firmware for the Vera hubs?
Hope… there certainly is. I am very challenged to understand some of the previous design decisions made as they seem to all defy common sense. It’s a complete miracle that such a mess still is able to work the way it does and as often as it does and I would be stunned if they would be able to reproduce it. It’s literally a piece of art hanging by a shoe string and I feel sorry for the CS team for having to deal with it. I still remember all the hours I have spent banging my head with CS agents over the phone over some weird inclusion issues or automated forced firmware downgrades as I did not yet know as much about it as I do now. It’s an ingrate job.
Only two concerns I have about the linux firmware is that it is built backwards so it likely is going to take forever since they are working on the communication stacks now which should have been the first thing they should have done and completed 18months ago, they are likely going to have to redo everything they did in the past 18months to iron out and fix the bugs. Or they will release with bugs.
The second concern is for the large number of members here who have a fairly large system, the lack of migration path makes the new firmware irrelevant. From all the documentation released, the changes are so big that it is much easier to migrate to a competitor’s platform than to stay with vera since APIs, plugins, automation, device network will all need to change. It will be of consideration only for new setups.
The moment all of my Vera controllers die, I’m going back to regular light switches and traditional thermostat. Everything I do with Z-Wave is for fun and only exists because I’m a lazy ass.
… But you have so many of them Veras now!!
If I have to manually migrate my whole setup for the Linux firmware I will not be returning to Vera. Probably will move to another controller
First one lasted seven years, so these will take me well into my dotage for sure.
I’m busy right now but I will explore zway+openluup. Thanks to @rafale77 and @akbooer this is a viable solution and will probably preserve my investment. I’m not that interested into the new generation of firmware, mainly because our feedback doesn’t seem to be considered and our bug reports are often ignored and if I have to commit to something, I prefer to go for a solution I can hack myself if needed.
I’m considering taking the same path, just worried about the learning curve
You can go slow… one step at a time. Though more complex and detailed, the interface is also more intuitive and your main interface shall remain ALTUI/OpenLuup.
Absolutely! Lots of hand-holding help available… although, let’s be clear, that’s virtual hand-holding in the current circumstances.
I’ll be heading in this direction as well, once I clear my plate of a few other experiments. And to that end, I will continue to ensure that any and all of my plugins that are viable on openLuup will continued to be fully supported and run well there.
I’ll prolly end up on HS4 seeing as I own a license for it.
I took a good hard look at HS3. Not sure how well HS4 will hold up. It was promising though not without its own quirks but at the end the relative ease of migration enabled by openLuup and @akbooer’s work on the bridge swung the decision.
I particularly liked that the HS license is not tied to hardware unlike zway. On the flip side, I did not like the heavy windows base and the cost.
I would most likely run the linux version if I did switch.
FYI, at least on HS3, the linux version is actually an emulated windows .NET build. That’s why some plugins don’t work as some instructions don’t get fully supported through Mono emulation… so it is still windows framework based.
Yuck! that sounds horrid!
In that case I might give it a miss as I dont own the Windows version.
I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions until it becomes a RC.
They still have a long way to go, but their progress appears faster ( and in the right direction).
That’s why I said for HS3 for what I know.
That is true… ahh building software from the foundation up… It’s magic!
They’re probably migrating to .NET Core, that’s cross platform and runs good on windows and Linux. My companion code is all written in C# and runs a similar platform. Performance are super and I like C# way more than lua. With that said, they come from VB, so porting is complicated. When done, you should be able to do what you want in any supported operating system. .NET Core supports arm23/64 too and is easily dockerized with Alpine. If I have to change platform, it’s probably where I’ll head. But as I said, I will first try to protect my investment and avoid to build a complex system from scratch.
The big plus here is they haven’t changed vision with new owners.
The knowledgeable user base IE guy’s like you…is much larger and they accept input.
I like the flexibility but proof will be in the delivery - I’m still waiting on the Zee2 HS4 release before I pass judgement.