Zwave Network On Vera Explained

^^^
The SD Card contained the licence. They refused to help me recover the licence. nuf said.

Must be a long long time ago. Ever since I used it, the license is contained in the uzb or the razberry board. I’ve never seen it in the software…

^^^
It was. I believe it was the 1st gen Raz board, looks nothing like the ones used today.

edit: I just checked on the website and found this:

UZB comes by default without support of Z-Way. You can buy and activate the license to enable Z-Way support and benifit form our best in class Z-Wave controller.

To try a demo go in Expert user interface (Settings → Devices → Z-Wave → Expert UI) → Netowork → Controller Info → License and press Demo button. To enable full support enter the license key and press Activate.

So I’m guessing that if you buy the new Gen hat then you don’t need a key, BYO your own UZB then you do.

Correct. Once you have the key and insert it, it gets stored in the uzb and you can move the uzb to any machine, the key will remain valid.

Just to provide some clarity here to others, you must use z-way devices for this to occur.
If you use another manufacturer’s USB, then the key is not saved.

If you go down this route make sure you don’t lose the key.

BTW, does the Z-Way UZB Back Up & Restore correctly in your configuration?

Yes it does. I even used the vera to do this. I cloned the vera’s network by taking a copy of its network and saved it on the uzb. I wrote a tutorial on how to do it. Another member did the same, saved it using zway and then restored it on a razberry cap. All things you cannot do with Homeseer I heard.

Does Smart Things not come into contention here? Doesn’t the hub now do local processing ?

As far as I know, they tried hard but failed. It is not easy to move from a cloud based logic and cram it into a cheap dumb thing like the smart things which were designed to just be device bridges. The initial design concept is essential which is one of the reasons why I am so skeptical of the current eZLO firmware build up. The localized logic on ST is only partial and unreliable.

The localized version of it is made by another company called hubitat… which was started by a group of unhappy ST users.

Not quite right.
HS is unable to Backup & Restore using AEON & Z-Way UZB, it’s OK with the top hat (RaZ).
Our ZWBCUZB-AUS performs the Backup & Restore flawlessly.
AEON & Z-Way UZB has a different architecture which doesn’t allow Restore in HS. (It originally did, but then the manufacturer’s altered something in newer versions that HS is unable to map)
Weird really as you can make a Backup but then you can’t Restore it !

I’d post to the link to the discussion but Sorin would remove it so it’s a moot point.

1 Like

If I want to modify this to set polling back to its default, would that be just “” instead of “0”?

Sadly, by now you’ve heard that @Rafale77 has been banished from the Forum by corporate and never allowed to return, so he won’t be able to answer you directly…

…I won’t presume to know the correct answer here, and defer to others for the best advice.

1 Like

What the heck for?

Talking too much, in essence — if I read corporate’s “spam” and “broken rules” comments correctly — not always about their products. His account is banned for 1000 years! He was our #1 contributor. This thread has been seminal for many.

2 Likes

Nope, set it to nil and it will default.

1 Like

Setting to “” will default it; setting to nil will delete the variable on newer firmware, and that may not be as desirable for other reasons.

2 Likes

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
Sad news
:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
If anyone has still contact with him, give him at least my thanks, respect and regards.

7 Likes

Thanks! I can confirm that “” worked to set back to default.

1 Like

I’ve lost confidence in Vera, and now I’m lorsignori interest in the forum after this sad news. I was reading it day by day, i will come and see from time to time.

Thx to all The great contributors like @rafale77

BTW he is on The home assistant forum…

5 Likes

i have been running vera for many years now, im using closer to 200 devices on it and its rock stable and super fast,(it will turn off/turn on light the same millisecond as i click the button.(can blink multiple times with the lights a second) to get vera to to this i have done the following. i only runn z-wave 5< devices, under every device i put 0 in pulling, and YES that vera shoulder configure device automatically, (when doing this be close to the device, take vera to the device never take the device to vera since the mesh never will be good when doing this, at least not for the places i have done this on) Then go to Device options and create a new group: 1 and go all the way down to zwave and _sceencontroller mark those and putt a 0 on those rows then click ok, zwave will reload check so the new group have devices on “set to” and “currently”, if you have energi reporting on the devices, turn it down, you really dont need to know every 0.1w for exempel having a charger in the wall without anything charging will go up/down all the time 0.1-0.2w and having this being reported + time base reporting really makes everything slow. On devices like NEO door sensor turn off wake up on those to make them work good i have those on never wake, and smoke alarm on 86400 and flir/motion devices on never wake. i never drop a device it just work, + the battery last very long. on devices like qubino mini dimmer i ad those as generic z-wave device and then ad the configuration as i like by checking the device instructions, if i ad them as a qubino flush dimmer 1 as manny do it never work good. Lastly Install Homeassistant on a rpi or nuc integreat Vera and enjoy being able to turn off/on lights & outlets extremely fast. Scenes always run perfectly even on very large scene. Im doing this on a vera secure, before i did it on a vera plus that was almost as fast. a plus side on setting devices to group 1 give it Multi-channel support so the status is always correct. //Hope it help someone

1 Like

I just did the steps described, already using firmware 7.32. My system is flying! I have been suffering for a long time from slowness, devices that took a long time to respond, slow network. With the changes, my system now looks different, I went from a biplane to a jet plane.