ZWave Dimmer for Australia that Works?

Hi there,

Is there anyone from Australia on this forum that has successfully installed a Zwave dimmer for either 240v GU10 or 12V MR16 LED downlights?

I’ve tried the Fibaro 240V dimmer and the RGBW LED driver including the load capacitor. I’ve also tried Aeon Labs 240V dimmers.
I’ve tried Phillps 36D, 60D and so many other LED lights I’ve lost count of the combination of dimmers and bulbs.
Halogens work great but don’t look good when the next electricity bill arrives.

Each time I’ve found they either flicker at low loads or do not trigger reliably. I thought the Fibaro RGB was a winner until I tried to get it to work with the Vera 3!

I’m getting very frustrated as you can probably tell. I’d love to hear from anyone that has a reliable combination. Unfortunately in Au we can’t drive down to Best Buy and grab this stuff off the shelf.

Thanks.

Yes, you will probably find the issue is the transformers.

I have Aeon Labs, and change all the transformed from Clipsal trailing edge electronic transformer PierLite 770T1/50.
WRT MR16, I was using 9 watts on a bank of six (54 watts) but there is no real dimming

I only purchased some new dim-able 14 watt bulbs from Aldi yesterday and they have limited dimming but it is noticable from 1-10%.
Also I purchase one GU10 5 watts as well as a night light for the kids room but is it not connect to a z-wave device,

Brientim is quite correct, the issue is in the transformer.

The new Qubino Z-Wave plus Dimmers are in the final testing stage (so we have been informed) and hopefully should be on the Australian Market within 2 months, again depending on Testing, Certification etc. It will give you another option.

[quote=“Brientim, post:2, topic:187596”]Yes, you will probably find the issue is the transformers.

I have Aeon Labs, and change all the transformed from Clipsal trailing edge electronic transformer PierLite 770T1/50.
WRT MR16, I was using 9 watts on a bank of six (54 watts) but there is no real dimming

I only purchased some new dim-able 14 watt bulbs from Aldi yesterday and they have limited dimming but it is noticable from 1-10%.
Also I purchase one GU10 5 watts as well as a night light for the kids room but is it not connect to a z-wave device,
[/quote]

Thanks Brientim,

Where did you purchase the Qubino units you have listed in your signature?

Thank you for sharing your experiences, Im using a dedicated bench power supply for testing so I’ll try a different one to rule it out.

Thanks

The Crompton XL series work well in australia with the Aeon Labs controller. I have a test box setup to try both trailing edge and leading edge, i cant remember what they worked on but they work. Not much load either. I also have used the Lumex Led’s though they didnt dim as low.

I’m assuming you are asking me where to buy Qubino.

They are not yet available for commercial sale, testing of samples has halted due to the impending release of ZWave Plus.
We had hoped that they would have been available last December, however, the introduction of the new Zwave Plus chip required a total redesign of the PCB which now requires new Zwave Certification prior to submission for Australian approval. It’s a slow, long convoluted procedure, but we are seeing some light now, hopefully we will be able to make a definitive release date by the end of June.

In the mean time you can check out details on our website www.qubino.com.au or for a greater overview of all devices www.qubino.com

I’m assuming you are asking me where to buy Qubino.

They are not yet available for commercial sale, testing of samples has halted due to the impending release of ZWave Plus.
We had hoped that they would have been available last December, however, the introduction of the new Zwave Plus chip required a total redesign of the PCB which now requires new Zwave Certification prior to submission for Australian approval. It’s a slow, long convoluted procedure, but we are seeing some light now, hopefully we will be able to make a definitive release date by the end of June.

In the mean time you can check out details on our website www.qubino.com.au or for a greater overview of all devices www.qubino.com[/quote]

Hi Zedrally.

Is there any chance of a Qubino module for ceiling fan control in future? Australia has NO zwave fan control available.

Fan control is very much like Dimmers, it depends on the type of Motor rather than type of Transformer.
Some fans will work with this dimmer, others will not or emit a buzzing sound as the speed is decreased. There was a discussion on this a couple of years ago, not sure if it ended with a solution?

I’ll pass the request on, it certainly makes sense but is there a market that is the 64k question?

I’d be looking at about ten fan controllers myself - presence + fan control would pay for itself in no time (I’m in Darwin)

Darwin, lucky you. I wish I was living back there! I never needed fans, spent too much time away.

Maybe check with the Australian zwave suppliers and see if they are getting requested… I have seen them requested on a few different forums.

I install zwave for a living and would so far have used quite a few if the option was there, I actually have to turn down jobs as living in the tropics every house has fans.

regarding the fan controller issue, why not just use a blind controller with the capacitor that comes with all fans? you can only have two speeds instead of the normal 3 that most fans have but that’s not much of an issue for most people.
zedrally, im assuming that you are from qubino AU? if so, i sent you an email earlier (john from eastside)-am hoping to talk with you or someone from your office early next week.
(better make it this week-just saw what the time is!!)
thought that i might update this post to make it a little clearer.
the attachment shows the wiring for a normal 3 speed fan control switch with the necessary capacitor.
to make a two speed fan controller using a zwave product-such as the Fibaro 222 for example- you simply connect the common wire of the capacitor which is also connected to the switch wire going to the fan in one output terminal (O1 for example) , and either one of the other wires from the capacitor to the other output (O2 for example). depending on which of the other two you connect you will end up with either high/low or high/medium. if you just want low/medium simply connect the red (common) with the fan switch wire in a connector and use the other two wires connected to the controller.